Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > Freestyle
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-01-2011

rcrawford2@verizon.net
Default New Video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pNtMc3Su7oo

Same problems:

1) Over active legs, can't control my left leg while right foot kicks (remnant of a scissors kick), I keep saying to myself, "toe flick, toe flick", let the left leg relax and drag behind. I have been isolating the left leg problem with spear switches, it seems to be helping, but far from relaxed. Also, I am just shutting the legs down period and letting them drag behind.

2) Spearing too wide and deep when not breathing.

3) Head slightly up, not laying relaxed on a pillow when breathing, however I have experienced this sensation and the luxury of a "bow wave", just not consistently. Also not bubbling out of my nose enough, but that's coming along nicely.

4) My arms could be more relaxed as they exit the water, (turning off muscles), I have also experienced this, but not consistently.

5) Putting it all together, a daunting task, but by going back to spear & swing switches and pausing before toe flicks helps a great deal, glide and recheck everything, and try and relax!

6) Here's something that is not a problem, I am 51 and having a great time learning to swim, the challenge is awesome. Sometimes progress is slow but to be honest, I never thought I would get this far.

7) I've got some new production ideas for swim movies, I will try them out in March on the next movie...stay tuned and thanks for watching. Please, all comments and suggestions are invited.

Thanks, Rich

Last edited by rcrawford2@verizon.net : 02-04-2011 at 02:08 AM.
Old 02-01-2011
Banned

Lawrence

Rich, you look in great shape for 51. Congratulations.

The main thing that stood out for me was arm recovery: elbows low, hands leading, and forearms not relaxed.

The stroke overall though looks fluid and calm. To my eye you have the potential to be very good.
Old 02-01-2011

borate

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcrawford2@verizon.net View Post
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8T23n..._order&list=UL
I am 51 and having a great time learning to swim, the challenge is awesome.
THAT'S the ticket; looking good.
Experiment with how it feels when the recovery trajectory of the hand is more of a straight line - exit to entry - instead of a wide swing...

Visualize the hand pulling out of a 'pocket' at the hip, with elbow high as if being lifted by a string. Feel a bit of underarm stretch.
Swing that elbow forward with forearm dangling easily below. The hand should track just above the surface and fairly close to the body.

At about the point where the elbow lines up with the ear reach forward and gently spear above the shoulder.
Do not overreach, which can pull the body out of alignment and upset balance. Keep the hand relaxed.

On the legs...
When the spearing arm is fully extended, think about the leg on the same side being stretched from the core in a slight arc with foot more towards the surface.
Keep toes pointed and knee straight. This will be a long, streamlined profile.

Last edited by borate : 02-01-2011 at 06:30 PM.
Old 02-02-2011
Coach

CoachSuzanne

Music = Rocks!!
Coach of 5 time USA Triathlon Triathlete of the Year, Kirsten Sass
Steel City Endurance, LTD
Fresh Freestyle

Old 02-02-2011

rcrawford2@verizon.net

Quote:
Originally Posted by borate View Post
On the legs...
When the spearing arm is fully extended, think about the leg on the same side being stretched from the core in a slight arc with foot more towards the surface.
Keep toes pointed and knee straight. This will be a long, streamlined profile.
I like this "word picture" a lot. Just got back from the pool, my legs are starting to settle down. It's such a boost in speed when the legs are inside your shoulder width, and not moving too much vertically.

Thanks, Rich
Old 02-02-2011

rcrawford2@verizon.net

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjm View Post
Rich: wish I could listen to that music while I swim.
Alas you can: http://www.finisinc.com/s.nl/c.1144330/it.A/id.107/.f

Then go to iTune Store and buy "The Cool Side" by Pieces Of A Dream and transfer to the mp3 player, or I could just send you an mp3!

Thanks for your input, Rich
Old 02-02-2011

CoachKevin

Hey, Rich. That all looks pretty darn good, Bud. How long have you been at it?

Quote:
1) Over active legs, can't control my left leg while right foot kicks (remnant of a scissors kick), I keep saying to myself, "toe flick, toe flick", let the left leg relax and drag behind. I have been isolating the left leg problem with spear switches, it seems to be helping, but far from relaxed. Also, I am just shutting the legs down period and letting them drag behind.
Rich, you're legs aren't over active. If anything they're under active.
Your kick's too TIGHT! I didn't see your ankles work once.
Are you purposefully pointing your toes? If so, it's going to keep your legs stiff. If you're a runner that could account for stiff ankles, so try to loosen them up some. It may seem too much of a refinement, but you want the pressure of the water to bend your ankles, not your muscles... Let it happen, try not to make it happen.
Also see only minimal & erratic knee bend, sometimes none at all. It's a tough way to kick. So you're kick has to be bigger & as you say above, more relaxed. Vertical kicking is good for this. Kicking in your SweetSpot is good for that, too.
You might want to change your mantra from "toe flick" to "foot flick" or even "knee flick" until your kick gets a little bigger & more fluid. Toe flick seems to have made your kick TOO small.

Quote:
2) Spearing too wide and deep when not breathing.
It doesn't look too wide to me. And while it may be a tad deep on one side it looks like you spear too shallow when you breathe, which is very common. As most swimmers turn to breathe that lead hand likes to "scoop" up toward the surface.

Quote:
3) Head slightly up, not laying relaxed on a pillow when breathing, however I have experienced this sensation and the luxury of a "bow wave", just not consistently. Also not bubbling out of my nose enough, but that's coming along nicely.
Be kind to yourself, Rich. Your breathing looks pretty good to me.

Quote:
4) My arms could be more relaxed as they exit the water, (turning off muscles), I have also experienced this, but not consistently.
This is true.

Quote:
5) Putting it all together, a daunting task, but by going back to spear & swing switches and pausing before toe flicks helps a great deal, glide and recheck everything, and try and relax!
Just make sure you don't make that pause (which is a "drill thing") part of your swimming. I did see a couple of "dead spots" on your entry, especially your right hand (didn't get many good looks at your left hand entering). But looking at your swimming relaxation definitely should be your focus all along the way in every drill.

Quote:
6) Here's something that is not a problem, I am 51 and having a great time learning to swim, the challenge is awesome. Sometimes progress is slow but to be honest, I never thought I would get this far.
You're doing great!
Dubai, UAE
Old 02-03-2011
Coach

CoachSuzanne

Quote:
Alas you can: http://www.finisinc.com/s.nl/c.1144330/it.A/id.107/.f

Then go to iTune Store and buy "The Cool Side" by Pieces Of A Dream and transfer to the mp3 player, or I could just send you an mp3!

Thanks for your input, Rich
Wait...you wrote it? (Slide show says original music by Rich Crawford & Lee Morgan) The flute solo is incredible!
Coach of 5 time USA Triathlon Triathlete of the Year, Kirsten Sass
Steel City Endurance, LTD
Fresh Freestyle

Old 02-03-2011

rcrawford2@verizon.net

Hi Kevin,

Thanks for your kind words and thoughtful insights, and taking the time to address each of the issues I listed. I'll be including all of your observations into my drills. Yes, I'm an ex marathoner, runner, stiff ankles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoachKevin View Post
How long have you been at it?
I got the Easy Freestyle DVD around Sept, 2010, so about 5 or 6 months. I'm a rookie triathlete (4 sprints last summer), and I've decided to use the winter to improve my freestyle swimming, I had to swim mostly breaststroke in the triathlons last summer.

Thanks again, Rich

Last edited by rcrawford2@verizon.net : 02-03-2011 at 09:55 PM.
Old 02-03-2011

rcrawford2@verizon.net

Hi Suzanne,

Thanks for staying interested.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoachSuzanne View Post
Wait...you wrote it?
Yes, Blue Note Records asked me to rewrite a song by the late, great, jazz trumpeter Lee Morgan. So, I took a funky jazz song and smoothed it out. The writer credits are myself 85% and Lee Morgan 15%. I changed the original a great deal. I thought it would work well with swimming. Glad you like it, I could send you an mp3 if you like.

The sax and flute player is a local musician who teaches at the University Of The Arts In Philadelphia, Ron Kerber, a great player!

Thanks, Rich