Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > Freestyle
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-14-2011

rcrawford2@verizon.net

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveblt View Post
I watched the video quite a few times and the mechanics of your stroke look pretty good .I think it would take just some minor adjustments based on what flipper mentioned but it does not appear to me that you are breathing that late if at all . It appears you are starting to to roll as your hand enters .

Dave
Starting to roll, what does that mean? Not waiting for my recovery hand to enter the water? Or my body starting to rotate prematurely?

Thanks, Rich
Old 01-14-2011
Banned

Lawrence

Rich, you may find that experimenting with spearing at a shallower angle helps avoid excessive rotation. It might also allow a more patient lead arm.
Old 01-14-2011

LilBeav

I watched and rewatched your video and it looks to me like your 2bk is not really a 2bk. It looks like you are kicking your left foot on every stroke, right and left. Swim a few laps without any kick and see what happens to your balance. Then swim a few where you focus on lightly tapping the diagonal foot while keeping the other foot quiet. If you cant do this, you are probably out of balance, at least I find that is true for myself. I found that my overall balance went to a new level once I was able to quiet my feet, using the kick for timing and not balance. There is a thread by Terry somewhere on the site that describes learning the 2bk and a progression to accomplishing it. It may take a number of sessions to figure out, it took me about 3 weeks to get rid of my bad old habits.

The patient arm is another key to breathing as mentioned. While trying to learn to breath on my weakside (ongoing process that is finally, finally getting resolved) I found that the patience along with holding the arm wider on the track gave me the stability to breath. Try reaching wider and see if there is a difference for you.

Hope this helps
Old 01-14-2011

splashingpat

Quote:
Originally Posted by LilBeav View Post
I watched and re-watched your video
it looks to me like your 2bk is not really a 2bk.
It looks like you are kicking your left foot on every stroke, right and left. Swim a few laps without any kick and see what happens to your balance. Then swim a few where you focus on lightly tapping the diagonal foot while keeping the other foot quiet. If you cant do this, you are probably out of balance, at least I find that is true for myself. I found that my overall balance went to a new level once I was able to quiet my feet, using the kick for timing and not balance. There is a thread by Terry somewhere on the site that describes learning the 2bk and a progression to accomplishing it. It may take a number of sessions to figure out, it took me about 3 weeks to get rid of my bad old habits.

The patient arm is another key to breathing as mentioned. While trying to learn to breath on my weakside (ongoing process that is finally, finally getting resolved) I found that the patience along with holding the arm wider on the track gave me the stability to breath. Try reaching wider and see if there is a difference for you.

Hope this helps
I was just going to say your kick is way to deep and bubbling!
I was just going to say flick the foot and lighten that tremendous forceful one
Old 01-14-2011

mjm
Default Front Arm Drop

Rich: great video. Video from the side underwater and above water would also be helpful.

You drop your lead arm when you breathe. That causes a balance issue which causes a scissor kick. See the attached photo.

This video might help: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3LqqNO3WYZ0

Also, you might look at Lou Tharp's blog entry where he addresses low hips, kicking, and prescribes a drill to help. Lou's line about drop kicking the moron with the pull buoy in the next lane is priceless.

http://www.totalimmersion.net/blog/Richard.html

Keep improving. mjm
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Front Arm Drop while breathing.jpg (9.0 KB, 34 views)
Old 01-14-2011

flppr

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveblt View Post
I watched the video quite a few times and the mechanics of your stroke look pretty good .I think it would take just some minor adjustments based on what flipper mentioned but it does not appear to me that you are breathing that late if at all . It appears you are starting to to roll as your hand enters .
Dave
After watching it again, I agree with your assessment. He's not rolling late. The biggest glitch I see is the lead hand dropping when he's breathing. It looks like he's bearing weight on that hand to support himself when he reaches for air.
Old 01-14-2011

Janos

Hi Rich,

I was considering a purchase of a Kodak Sport. After seeing the quality of your vid, I am definitely going to buy one. Thanks!

Regarding your stroke, my own thoughts are that your legs are sinking, and you are priming your leg before kicking, which can prompt a response from your other leg, resulting in a scissor kick. You need to work on balance. Also, is the band meant to restrict your kick or stop you from kicking altogether? Rather than ingrain bad habits it may be better to practice whole stroke with no kick, until you are balancing better, and your legs are in a better position to provide propulsion.

Janos
Old 01-14-2011

rcrawford2@verizon.net
Default Thanks

Thanks for all your thoughtful replies and suggestions. I am listening and thinking. I really don't swim whole stroke all that much, I usually just practice, spear switches, core balance, and recently swing switches. But I can see what a challenge it is going to be to get my hips up and legs under control, which are about to be shut down. I've only been trying to learn to swim since September 2010.

MJM thanks for Tharp's link. He sounds like a SERIOUS hoot! One thing, while doing his 5 stroke, high hip, gliding drill, does he mean kick and then stop kicking during the glide, or no kicking period.

I need to film my spear and swing switches and see how my balance is during these drills. I've noticed lately that when I spear switch the air is right there (easy) when I breath. I feel like I'm not sinking, but feelings are not the same as video.

I'm going back to work, and will repost my progress in a month.

Thanks, Rich

P.S. I think I'll do some "Stone Skipping", it looks so easy.

Last edited by rcrawford2@verizon.net : 01-14-2011 at 09:54 PM. Reason: Just forgetful!
Old 01-15-2011

mjm

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcrawford2@verizon.net View Post
One thing, while doing his 5 stroke, high hip, gliding drill, does he mean kick and then stop kicking during the glide, or no kicking period.

P.S. I think I'll do some "Stone Skipping", it looks so easy.
From Lou's Blog--no kicking during the glide
"Take five strokes and go into a glide position that has one hand anchored at 45-degrees in front of you, the other hand resting lightly on your hip, your head in line with your body and looking up so you can breathe, and NO KICK.

Let us know how the stone skipping goes. Most find it not so easy. mjm
Old 01-15-2011

Richardsk

Hi all

The stone skipper drill shown on the youtube video posted by Lou Tharp is not the same as the stone skipper that was on the four strokes DVD. It's more like the hand lead body dolphin shown in the Betterfly for Everybody DVD.

The old stone skipper drill was virtually identical if not completely identical to the "ride the wave" drill in the Betterfly DVD.