Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > Freestyle
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-16-2013

bx
Default A (Non-) Convo on Traditional Freestyle Coaching

A chat (in the gym) with one of the pool lifeguards.

Lifeguard (LG): How's training going?

Me: Cool. I've finally learnt how to swim and do the breathing! (Deliberate non-sequitur in gym..)

LG: If you want coaching on the fundamentals, there's a class on Sundays. You start with pushing off in streamline (demos tight streamline with hands overlapping, which is a position I can't even get into - shoulder+thoracic mobility is an ongoing "project"). Then you do pushoffs with a rotation to your back. Then you learn kicking, because that helps propulsion. To learn breathing, you hold a float next to your head and do lots of laps until you get the feel of breathing to the side. And you obviously use your arms to pull.

Me: I'm following a drill sequence called TI - Total Immersion. Have you heard of it?

LG: [Blank look].

Me: It's quite well known in triathlete circles I believe. It starts with a strong emphasis on balance, and then how to hold a stable position when slightly rotated....

LG: [Cutting-in] So if you want some lessons, get in touch with Nikki.

Me: OK. See ya.

ADDENDUM
I should add that I don't post this from some standpoint of superiority or wanting to belittle his training. It was kind of him to spend a few minutes explaining some of the coaching steps, and obviously it's not the whole program. I'm just curious as to whether any of the "modern" swim coaching thinking has permeated the mainstream yet. In this case, I guess not.

Last edited by bx : 08-16-2013 at 02:53 PM.
Old 08-17-2013

swimust

haha if you don't swim "strong and fast" then these life guards label you as a bad swimmer. Happens all the time. How to get fame and popularity for TI is a big heavy debate which I will not start, its way over my abilities :)

But its real fun to leave behind much fitter and younger swimmers and see the amazement on their faces. Its one of the rewards of TI swimming lol
Old 08-17-2013

Rincewind

Everybody tries to earn a living. Most of these gyms or swim schools had the same teaching system for years and as long as their classes are full there is no incentive for them to learn anything new.

Same goes for people who want to learn, they just take the most convenient option available to them, if their local pool/gym/ymca offers lessons they just sign up, because its the most obvious option.

In this case its really up to TI and other 'modern' schools to try and permeate the mainstream.

Last edited by Rincewind : 08-18-2013 at 03:37 AM.