Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > Freestyle
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-02-2012

jenson1a

Tks Andy and Ian

I have a tendency to assume, so sorry that I didn't read more closely. However, Ian's way is pretty clear.

Sherry
Old 10-06-2012

WFEGb

Please excuse my late answer,

was out of town for some days...

@Charles,
thanks, your posts are always helpful, even if you don't realize it by yourself. Its reassuring to me that my problems are not too trivial.
Don't know if I wrote clear enough, but I strive for a continuous DPS that is clearly not that one I have to swim as my fastest...

@Andy,
thanks once more for your great tips. They are quite interesting for very close tests in my next weeks! Some other little points:

- I'm not very sure where my stroke changes to (even more) the worse, because I have to hurry to complete the stroke. Sometimes it starts with
- a leading elbow under water, - not finding my both bullseyes correctly, - a not relaxed recovering arm, - an impatient spear arm, - lifted head for a breath (why on earth THAT?), - an out of time kick (think I'll start an other thread by these...) and so on...
- Your advice with 4-6 extra strokes without any breath seems nearly impossible here at my desk, but be asured I'll try to assemble that next weeks...
- I'm afraid thinking about the NEXT stroke whill possibly ruin the current one even more, but think it has to be tested in water....
- Turns for me are of nearly no interest till now... Currently open turns adjusting the strokes with forth beep after (when there where too many strokes on the last lap and enough air in I adjust it by the third beep...)
I'm curious what will happen.

@Ian,
warm thanks to you too! Hope your financial wisdom will pass to our politicians...
I'd like to shift your question a little bit: How bad has it to be to still find improvements? I've heard from joggers, telling that their best improvements are done when trained at a moderate pace at a special relatively low heart rate. Can this be assembled for swimming? (But it might be, that your still right and the time has to be extended... As my most admired physicist, Feynman, said: Nature can't be fooled...)
Thanks also for clarifying Andy's hints!

PS: And a note printing press will at least not help at all... my swimming...

@Sherry,
thank you for your demands for clarity! They had to be mine..

Yours,
Werner
Old 10-14-2012

WFEGb
Default Surprise success - btw-report

To whom it cares:

Was in a bad mood yesterday because of a hopeless disease of my mother and decided to swim just to have water around me. Would do some laps, starting point should be 16SPL, would end with 18SPL never mind anything, no TT, focus on relaxation and slow continiues steady underwater stroke (that was a hint of my "pool talk" I had forgotten, may be there was a subconscious cause for...).

The outdoor pool's lane was empty. Started astonished with VERY slow 14SPL. It strechted to 15SPL after 20min. So I went on. At that time a youngster came in, was kind and gave me a whole lap lead. He passed me after 5min. Still with 15SPL I decided to draft (is this the right word?) him with two body lengths behind with a little faster Stroke - turned up from 15SPL to 15.5SPL nearly no extra efford... 20min later he went off the pool. Wow! I became so proud that my drag had to be doubled, well it became 16SPL, where I'd start this day... Swum 20min on, then fatigued with 17SPL and went out. My watch told me 2950m (damned should have swum 2 laps more...) in 61:20min. Thats a pace which is absolutly in my very good normal sphere...

The SR was never nearly in the recommended 1.32s range. And I'm shure there IS room for improvement even for me. Take that as encouragement to go for Andy's 4321 tips. (BTW: How much pause might I offer myself between the subsets?)

Glad regards,
Werner

PS: My bad mood has been washed away for a while...
Old 10-14-2012

CharlesCouturier

Great news Werner. We never know how a session will turn out do we?

That's why it's so important to just get out there and try.

Nice attitude, nice state of mind, nice drafting experiment!
Old 11-02-2012

WFEGb
Default Where to work?

Hallo,

Andy, tried around a little the last weeks with your 4,3,2,1 (minute breather) 1,2,3,4 sets; with and without TT (1.6 to 1.2) in 25m and 50m pool. Tweaked the sub-interval-breathers down 10-12s constant.

In the 25m pool it's possible for me to (+-1.5 SPL) fix my strokes from 16 or 20 dependant on TT setting. The fix becomes a problem in 50m pool. Doesn't matter which TT setting at start. First lap in the continues subsets (2,3,4) starts with 38-41 SPL and every further lap seems to add at least half a stroke. More disliked, that I'm not able to give them all back when reducing the laps...

I also tried Andy's advice in an other thread with 1,2,3,4,5,...,10 with nearly race pace and 10s sub-intervall breathers in the 50m pool. But it was too heavy for me and I had to go back after the 5th at 46 SPL. Needless to say that most strokes stood with me the way back...

What's nearly a constant is the velocity, always 1:50-2:00 for 100m.

So I'd be glad for an advice with which setting I should start for the next weeks and in what intervals it should be tweaked to the better.

Think it's not a bad sign that steps for progession becomes smaller, but therewith it becomes more difficult for me to decide what is day form and what is real progression or degression.

It's a miracle how Terry knows he's on the right way when he improves minimal parts over months and months.... Yes, I know, TI is right there at any rate :-)

Regards,
Werner