Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > Freestyle
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-05-2011

WFEGb
Default TT for a deaf?

Hallo,

last weak I bought a TT(pro) for playing around with my SR/SPL. Above water the beep sounds uncomfortably loud. But when my ear ist under water I'm not able to hear any kind of beep even not when pressing/holding it to the ear directly.

Any hints, tipps, advices, suggestions are very welcome.

Thanks in advance
Old 12-05-2011

jenson1a

I had the same problem, but only with my right ear. I put the TTbehind the left ear and it was fine until I got water in my ear. Tried several different earplugs before I found some that worked for me--i believe they were called AquaPlugs (they are orange in color.)

I use a bathing cap and I put the TT near the bottom of the ear lobe (just behind it). Have to experiment around where you can hear it the best.

Hope this works for you.

Sherry
Old 12-05-2011

WFEGb

Hi Sherry,

thank you very much! Just ordered a pair at eBay (although they're looking like to hear nothing, I'll try it...).

Best regards
Old 12-05-2011
Coach

CoachSuzanne

Also, digits facing in makes it a bit louder, and I think the pro is 'slightly' louder than the regular. I just ordered a pro for one of my swimmers who is 64 years old..she's doing better with it than the regular one. Sometimes she loses the beep midlength but picks it up again.

But don't despair...even if you can't hear it all the time while swimming, you can listen to the tempo at the start...then when you finish see if hte tempo is still close to what you were stroking.
Coach of 5 time USA Triathlon Triathlete of the Year, Kirsten Sass
Steel City Endurance, LTD
Fresh Freestyle

Old 12-06-2011

westyswoods
Default Hearing Deficits

WFEGb,

I struggled with finding something/anything which allowed me to use a TT while swimming. I tried it all and had all kinds of well intended suggestions the problem was that my hearing deficit was such that nothing worked.

Finally I dug out some of my old audiology test and went to a producer of music. We discussed what I wanted and he produced a series of tempos for an MP3 player. These tones needed to be within my frequency, pitch and other factors. Volume was not crucial, as with a Finis TT I too could put it right next to my ear and not hear it. My wife could hear it at the other end of the house.

After much trial and error we finally got a sound which works fine. It is custom made and downloaded to a Ipod Nano which I use in an H20 Aqua Head Set. The earbuds are the only ones I have found comfortable and actually stay in place. My tempos were made in 20 minute sections and increments of .02.

I know there are computer programs which one could do on their own, I just do not have the expertise.

There is a way and hope if you have trouble let me know on this site and I can communicate a more in depth explanation. In closing I will say it can be very frustrating, as people think it is a simple fix and in many instances have a tendency to just blow it off.

Swim Silent and Be Well
Westy
Old 12-06-2011

WFEGb

Hi and thank you very much,

it's a good feeling not to be alone!

Suzanne and Westy, my TT is a pro :-(

But it's fine to read about some other ways. First I'll try the ear plugs and maybe I'll find the beep sometimes, when swimming some laps with TT... (didn't try it yet).

Maybe Westy's idea is the last chance, but I'll try it if neccessary.

I'll be back and report what works for me or not.

With gratitude
Old 12-08-2011

jenson1a

wfegb

you said you might order the aquaseal plus on ebay. they have them at any Walmart and Walgreens. Cost is about 5.50 for two pair.

My problem was with getting water in my ears and that interfered with hearing the TT beep. Ear plugs did soften the sound, but at least it was audible. I tried the wax and foam plugs, but they didn't work at all.

Hope you get some results from all the suggestions here

Sherry
Old 12-08-2011

westyswoods
Default TT Deficit

WFEGb,

Keep us posted as to what works. If I can be of any help for the end game please let me know. The TT is making a noticeable difference with many aspects of my swimming. The trouble was worth it.

Swim Silent and Be Well
Westy
Old 12-12-2011

WFEGb

Suzanne, Sherry, Westy,

thanks again for the offered help. Today I tried TT and the aqua sphere plugs. I was glad first, could listen to the beep well. But this worked just for half a lap (25m) then there was no beep anymore. Think water came into the ear too....

On my left ear it doesn't work from start, because the plug slips in so deep that there is no beep for me...

Well I'll look around for some other plugs and test it. But I'm afraid have to buy a Nano Ipod and am unsecure if that will work. Think problem is the water not frequenz of the beep.

Well well I'm discontented. Normally my trunks enough to take with into the pool. Don't like caps or goggles, and now iPod and Aqua Head Sets???

Best regards
Old 12-12-2011
Coach

CoachSuzanne

Quote:
Originally Posted by WFEGb View Post
Suzanne, Sherry, Westy,

thanks again for the offered help. Today I tried TT and the aqua sphere plugs. I was glad first, could listen to the beep well. But this worked just for half a lap (25m) then there was no beep anymore. Think water came into the ear too....

On my left ear it doesn't work from start, because the plug slips in so deep that there is no beep for me...

Well I'll look around for some other plugs and test it. But I'm afraid have to buy a Nano Ipod and am unsecure if that will work. Think problem is the water not frequenz of the beep.

Well well I'm discontented. Normally my trunks enough to take with into the pool. Don't like caps or goggles, and now iPod and Aqua Head Sets???

Best regards
THere is also another brand called the wetronome, not sure who makes it. also with more & more people using the TTs I wonder if the company would consider making a HOH version...maybe a very low pitched percussive thump?
Coach of 5 time USA Triathlon Triathlete of the Year, Kirsten Sass
Steel City Endurance, LTD
Fresh Freestyle