Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > Freestyle
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-23-2017
shenagar

Default Beginner question about 2 beat kick

I find it difficult conceptually to coordinate the opposite arm movement with the kicking leg (right arm enters and stretches as the left leg kicks).
Is there anything wrong either conceptually or practically with coordinating same side arm and leg movement (right arm catches while right leg kicks)? Because the end result is the same.
Please advise.
Thanks
Old 07-24-2017
coach

CoachStuartMcDougal

Hi Shenagar,

If you try to coordinate timing from the hands and feet in, most swimmers will inevitably have a disconnected kick, timing 180 degs off - or what I characterize as "swim zombies". Think of timing from the pelvis out, i.e high right hip drives high right side arm to forward extension, left downward kick aids rotation (to right edge); then it becomes a natural movement much like when we walk or run - left foot strikes forward, right arm swings forward as counterbalance and core connection. If our terrestrial timing was 180 degs off, we'd be running zombies and never run or walk fast.

The problem with same side pull and downward kick is the near infinite positions the low side arm can be in relation to rotation given wingspan and rate of turnover.

Once you focus on the high side are driven forward by the (high) hip, then focus on downward kick aiding rotation - you can try putting them both together, i.e. right arm extension coordinated with left downward rotational kick.

Here's an USMS blog that discribes kick patterns and rotational connected kick:http://www.usms.org/articles/article...y.php?aid=3061

Stuart
Old 07-24-2017

tomoy

I spend a lot of time in Coach Stuart's masters swimming gang, and we do a lot of work refining the 2BK and experimenting with timing. At this point, all of his explanations and language work for me.

However, my dirty little secret is that practically, the 2BK first "clicked" for me when thinking about it like you are thinking here. Even worse, I concentrated on same side kick down as I "pulled." It felt very horse-y

Sorry Coach! :-P

Everyone gets through their mental hurdles in their own way. I say try it and see if it gets you there. If it confuses further, then try something else.
Old 07-24-2017
coach

CoachStuartMcDougal

Haa! Fair enough Tomoy, you're right. Whatever helps a swimmer make that connection, use it.
Old 07-26-2017
shenagar

Default 2 beat kick

Thank you Coach Stuart and Tomoy for your responses; I'll try to stay on course with the original timing and will try to make it work. I had also noticed in one of Coach Terry Laughlin's seminars that his point of departure in explaining the two b kiks was the hip rotation of the opposite side for the arm extension.
I'm going to try it today. Thanks agin
Old 07-30-2017

novaswimmer

This video helped me. But everyone is a little bit different.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GXMYGAgppRo

This is also helpful:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f3co3nFnY-I

Last edited by novaswimmer : 08-04-2017 at 07:09 PM.