Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > Freestyle
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-31-2014

wetbivybag
Default 6 Beat Kick

I'm very comfortable with the two-beat kick and have recently starting to try the six-beat kick. I've been watching videos but find them to hard to catch everything that is happening. I am correct to believe that on one stroke you are doing two flutter kicks then adding a rotational kick (same as you would use on two-beat kick) then when you have rotated you are doing two flutter kicks on the other side and the third is the rotational kick? So it is kind of three kicks each rotation?

Thanks

Tony
Old 07-31-2014

Ron Bear

Exactly.
One two three four five six. One and four move harder and farther than the other four counts. One and four whip and coordinate with your hips and arms, but the other counts move in isolation.
Old 07-31-2014

wetbivybag

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Bear View Post
Exactly.
One two three four five six. One and four move harder and farther than the other four counts. One and four whip and coordinate with your hips and arms, but the other counts move in isolation.
Thanks. Off to the sea to try!
Old 07-31-2014

jafaremraf

Somewhere on this site is a link to Charles demonstrating the 6 beat kick as a waltz. I've tried to find it a few times but can't now locate it, but it helped me get the rhythm into my head.
Old 08-01-2014

Ron Bear

I frequently swim to "The Blue Danube". I got the idea on this forum. Andy in Norway was saying he likes to swim to the Skater's Waltz as it is sixteen bars long. But he must swim in a 25 yard or 25 meter pool. The Blue Danube's 32 bars works better for me in the 50 meter pool I train in. So for 37 strokes across the pool, I sing the song in my head and then count the last 5 strokes.
Old 08-01-2014

jafaremraf
Default Found it!

Had another search and found the clip of Charles demonstrating the 6 beat kick as a waltz.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8cS114X6fCQ
Old 08-01-2014

Talvi
Default Just wondering ...

Tony, what's making you want to move / experiment with 6bk?

"The water is your friend.....you don't have to fight with water, just share the same spirit as the water, and it will help you move."
~ Aleksandr Popov
Old 08-02-2014

sclim

Quote:
I frequently swim to "The Blue Danube". I got the idea on this forum. Andy in Norway was saying he likes to swim to the Skater's Waltz as it is sixteen bars long. But he must swim in a 25 yard or 25 meter pool. The Blue Danube's 32 bars works better for me in the 50 meter pool I train in. So for 37 strokes across the pool, I sing the song in my head and then count the last 5 strokes.
What a brilliant concept -- synchronising the stroke or kick to a music track in your head. When I get tired I get distracted and lose count. I have a system where I right pull on the first count of 1(using a 2 beat kick, alternate side breathing) so my right breath is on 3, 9, 15, 21; and my left breath is on 6, 12, 18, 24 (if there is a 24, sadly, there usually is, and more!). You would think that would be bomb-proof. But it often gets mangled when I'm fatigued, and I never know if I miscounted or inadvertently deviated from my alternate breathing sequence.

So, now I gotta find some elevator music that fits the 2 beat kick and my swimming rhythm. Now when a deviation in sequence occurs it ought to feel really odd, because it's happening at the wrong point in the music.
Old 08-03-2014

Superfly

Quote:
I also like to swim to music (with my iPod) that is timed perfectly to my swimming rhythm. The natural rhythm (at least for me) for Freestyle is a 3/4 time signature which is why "The Blue Danube" works so well. There are other songs that I listen and synchronize to. Here are some of them for Freestyle:

1. Piano Man - Billy Joel

2. Fallin' - Alicia Keys

3. Since I've Been Loving You - Led Zeppelin
This song is very slow, so I use it more for practicing proper kick rhythm with fins.

4. Can't Help Falling In Love - Elvis Presley
Note that this song is in 4/4 common time but also in triplets. Therefore, I synchronize my rhythm to the triplet feel.

I specialize in the Butterfly which is in 4/4 common time rhythm. There are many songs in that time signature, so I've got lots of music to pick from.

Last edited by Superfly : 08-03-2014 at 05:02 PM.
Old 08-03-2014

CharlesCouturier

Someone (i.e. Coach Riddle) had fun synching some of my rotation drill with the Danube https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E5GepiRHdr8