Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > Coach Blogs
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-24-2009

AWP
Default Moving forward with TI

I've had a similar experience as Edward when I first joined a tri squad, same reservations and questions. Happily I've learned to inc. and found the drilling somewhat similar in a few respects but what was missing was not so much the drills themselves or of what we were doing but [b]why? how we were to do it properly and what to feel. It was so matter of fact that I doubt most cared just wanted to get on with the main set.
Although it seems pretty daunting, especially with a large turnout, to expect the time to be put in for 'mere' drills perhaps many would actually benefit from practices where drilling and sensory skills were the main focus so as to allow complete explainations, demonstrations(?) and a thorough focus on technique development. Designated practices so that in the future when drills are barked out those who care can instinctively hone in on a focal point or sensory skill and actually warm up further with a clear purpose and focus of a laserbeam, thus better swimming and better swimming enjoyment.
But for now it would seem it is our responsibility to make it work.
Swim on, practice well, and enjoy!
Old 03-24-2009
Head Coach

terry has disabled reputation

I'm not doing so now, but have swum with a non-TI Masters group for years. I did drills a bit during warmup and whenever they used kickboards. Beyond that I always had private and personal goals for each swim and set that turned generic workouts into meaningful and purposeful practices.

May your laps be as happy as mine.

My TI Story
Old 03-25-2009

AWP

Quote:
Originally Posted by terry View Post
I'm not doing so now, but have swum with a non-TI Masters group for years. I did drills a bit during warmup and whenever they used kickboards. Beyond that I always had private and personal goals for each swim and set that turned generic workouts into meaningful and purposeful practices.
I now try doing the same, not always successful but I try. That in itself makes it more fun and interesting. Always learning.
Old 03-25-2009
Coach

CoachBrian

In my Masters practice, I take the time to explain not only the drills, but also the main set, and how each relates to swimming. Being in the TI world makes it a bit easier, since there are really only 5 major drills, everything else being a variation.
Old 03-25-2009

AWP

Bri, somehow I knew you'd say that.
Sounds 'too' good and exactly what I'd hope for in a TI environ.
I have a buddy in Denver so maybe next time I'm out that way I'll pop in and enjoy one of your sessions. Thanks.
Old 03-25-2009
Coach

CoachBrian

Let me know, and I'll have a free pass waiting for you at the front desk.

It's fun to have a pool full of people, all doing zenswitch together...
Old 03-25-2009
TI Coach

CoachEricDeSanto

When I coached high school and summer rec, my warm up always included 20x25s learning time. It took 20 minutes out of my 1.5 hour practice. it gave me time to really teach what I wanted and focus the kids minds. And, I have learned, that developing the aerobic system, for most of us can be done in a 45 minute session (even main sets I have seen posted for elite swimmers seem to last about that time). So, even if you are of the "pound out the yards" mentality, there is time for the learning process.

To fill in the gap between the learning phase and the main set, I usually use a build set to get swimmers holding the focal point from learning speed to race speed.