Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > Freestyle
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-22-2017

Rajan
Default Catch

Hi!

I would like to know whether it is right to catch the water by sliding lats and muscles around armpit forward so that water could be felt area around armpit, forarm etc.

Regards

Rajan
Old 06-22-2017
Coach

CoachBobM

I am normally doing my catch with my hand and forearm. I'm not conscious of my armpit being involved.

Bob
Old 06-22-2017

Zenturtle

You can derive the most length and power out of your catch and following actions if you reach the whole shoulderjoint with the arm as much forward as possible relative to the body. Feels like your shoulders are lifted almost right next to your ears.
Hold the upperback straight while reaching forward with the shoulder.
Load the catch with the side of your upperbody, leaning on the armpit and inside of upperarm together with in inward rotated shoulderjoint, elbow rotated upward.
Never pull the shoulderjoint plus arm harder back than the small stabilizing muscles in the arm can hold the arm in the right position, otherwise your elbow will drop. Thats the most important advantage of an patient catch, or better said: an deliberatley set up catch instead of an hurried catch. Stretching out with a dead body unprepared for the catch is a sure way to drop the elbow a moment later in the hurried catch.
Your arm action has to be precisely linked with your bodyrotation (and buoyancy bounce rhythm if you have up and down movement), otherwise you need much more force and also slip more water than necessary.
If you get stronger and stronger after much practice you can also start to pull a bit earlier while preventing a dropped elbow.

If you start young and practice a lot it will look like this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NVWofbptdVg (girl with the blue cap)
you will never achieve this, but try to copy it and you will feel how weird an action it is.

Last edited by Zenturtle : 06-22-2017 at 10:55 PM.
Old 06-23-2017

Rajan

I have made a video of myself doing this. Is it ok? I slide my muscles around armpit to do this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_9Z4a5B4JBk
Old 06-23-2017

Zenturtle

Ha, ha. Yeah thats more or less ok.
Now lay your forarm and hand om top of a high cabinet or plank and press on the top surface with forearm and hand.
Feel how this pressure wants to drop your elbow and what muscles you need to suppres this.
Lift the whole armpit forward to reach further (or higher on dryland)

you can also use a fittnes bal to get the feeling on dryland
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O1KReTEXiBM

Last edited by Zenturtle : 06-23-2017 at 09:15 AM.
Old 06-23-2017
Coach

CoachBobM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajan View Post
I have made a video of myself doing this. Is it ok? I slide my muscles around armpit to do this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_9Z4a5B4JBk
It doesn't look bad, but remember that when you're swimming, your catch should begin as your body is starting to rotate about the axis of your spine toward your leading arm. You should feel that the rotation of your body is pulling your elbow (in this case, toward the camera), which will automatically tend to make your forearm and hand drop.

Bob