Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > Freestyle
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-14-2014

larryc
Default Please explain the "2-beat kick"

Since I'm still struggling with kicking efficiently (and calmly), can someone please explain the Two Beat Kick so I can understand it?

Right now I'm kicking too many times per arm stroke, and am hoping the two-beat kick will slow my kicking down so I can zip back & forth through the water instead of tiring out.
Old 02-14-2014

CharlesCouturier

2bk is 1 kick per arm stroke. When right hand enters the water, left foot should kick, and vice versa.

It is as simple as that.
Old 02-14-2014

larryc

Thanks Charles. Do you recommend the 2-beat kick as a drill to slow down my kicking? What about the 6-beat kick?

When my kicking is really erratic (often), I feel like I'm doing about a 15-beat kick -- small wonder that I'm soon out of breath and tired!
Old 02-14-2014

CharlesCouturier

Well, it is not what *I* would recommend as much as the fact the the TI Freestyle stroke is built around the 2bk.

Are you a triathlete? Competing mostly with a wetsuit?

Personally as a coach, I think it's good to master both patterns (that might be because I'm notoriously known to have difficulty making a choice between 2 options LOL).

The 2bk that TI teaches plays a important role, but it is not that of helping propulsion. They teach that the legs are the extension of the body, and that they help the body achieving better position and better rotation, both elements being quite important for smooth enjoyable swimming.

If you do a little search on this forum, you will find a lot of data regarding the 2bk, as it is quite regularly being discussed. Do you feel that running out of breath is an obstacle in allowing you to reach your goals (whatever they are)?

Last edited by CharlesCouturier : 02-14-2014 at 09:27 PM.
Old 02-14-2014
Coach

CoachSuzanne

To augment Charles' comments, TI views swimming as a "right half/left half" skill set rather than a front half/back half activity.

"15 beat kicking" or any kicking that is not well timed and coordinated with body rotation and the arm cycle reinforces "front half/back half" swimming, which is energy intensive, and doesn't allow the body parts to synergize with each other.

2BK vs 6BK is a mute point for your concern since both allow the right half of the body and the left half to unite ina full body coordinated action where the right kick helps initiate and augment body rotation to the left and vice versa. The whole body is unified in it's activities which saves energy AND eventually helps you swim faster.
Coach of 5 time USA Triathlon Triathlete of the Year, Kirsten Sass
Steel City Endurance, LTD
Fresh Freestyle

Old 02-15-2014
coach

CoachStuartMcDougal

Hi Larry,

Your "15 beat kick" is really a busy kick that is triggered due to lack of balance, very common. It's best to work on refining balance and not be too concerned with the kick at this point. Your priority now is balance, reducing and quieting the kick. Think easy (not busy) kick and you are kicking in a pool that is only one foot deep. Once you have acquired more balance, you can work on body control and start integrating the kick timing. Although the action and motion of the 2BK is quite simple, it takes a significant amount of balance and body control. When you have more balance and stability, work on the timing of 2BK before moving on to timing of 6BK.

This ad Hoc video was created after an TI Advanced Skills workshop in San Diego at the request of the students in the workshop so they had something to review, compare and contrast in context of 2BK. Kick timing is used to tie in the core and whole body movement, and finish rotation. Surprisingly this demo video has gained a lot of traction at over 40k views, few seem to be critical (can't make everyone happy). In any case this breaks down what the 2bk is, kick timing, swimming with whole body movements: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FiPpiC0629I

Happy Swimming, 2BK Kicking, and most importantly BALANCE.

Stuart
MindBodyAndSwim