Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > Freestyle
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-01-2018
Mushroomfloat

First 2 fingers lead the recovery
Like a pistol (hand shaped like a pistol)
v
Old 08-01-2018
Mushroomfloat

https://youtu.be/yIGFKbCKXzw
Old 08-03-2018
Mushroomfloat

I was watching the European championships today and nearly all the freestylers are using the karate chop exit / recovery and none were pushing all the way back.

With the exception of a few straight arm swimmers most strokes looked similar to what we are discussing here.

the difference between sprinters and distance was simply that the sprinters went in and hooked earlier.
Old 08-03-2018
Mushroomfloat

Lots of enter and sweep wide too.
Old 08-03-2018

Zenturtle

Maybe the evolution of the freestylestroke has finished. Everybody is taught a certain style and is swimming that way.

Even Oceanwalker who sort of claims to have come up with his own style, is simply swimming TI style as far as I can see. Looks damn close to the previous swimmer, with the same underwater `problems`.

Owalker 1
plaatje uploaden

Owalker 1a
upload foto

Owalker 2
ref nl
Old 08-03-2018
Mushroomfloat

yes

and they all seme to be taking their cues from KPN karlym pipes

this is all basically her stroke

now maybe she didnt invemt it as she site the aussie waterman stroke of thorpe etc

& Marc Evans seems to be the forerunner (good vids from him BTW)

KPN cites dave scott as sayimg breaststroke is the best way to learn how to set up the freestyle catch

i found i really is too

in a nutshell: forget about hand and forearm leave it loose
its all in the upper arm catch with the backside of the upperarm and karate chop out before you get stuck
Old 08-03-2018
Mushroomfloat

the elbow traces a teardrop pattern

just swap one for the other in a 3/4 catch up timing

(increase timing to sprint)
Old 08-03-2018
Mushroomfloat

"extend to the elbow and not the hand"

"keeping the hand & forearm loose in fromt of the elbow gives a nice high body position as the balse whips through"

v
Old 08-03-2018
Mushroomfloat

https://youtu.be/z59s13BVDrE
Old 08-03-2018

Zenturtle

What i find interesting is the typical dropped elbow and the broken wrist you see a lot, but not always with the almost catchup timing.

Here a TI swimmer who loads the low side just like in a more standard swimstroke, but dont sinks the arm into a catch shape with it, she just holds the arm firnly pointing forward, while still rolling that high shoulder on top of it. The arm only sinks a tiny tiny bit before power is fed in, but less than usual. ( The loading is most obvious in the front view.)
The rhytm is there, looks like sheilas loading and lengtening too, only not a super high elbow, more straight, but looks pretty smooth underwater.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JpxruDf3ld0

I liked her style before, but now i can see better why. Still think she will be more efficient if she goes to catch a few tenths of a second earlier.

contrast that with this swimmer, who has zero load on catch I think.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NA2YtVdKiZI

It seems to me a large difference is the differnce in tone of the lower body from knees to elbow.(and not setting up catch etc bla bla)
This swimmrs low side is too relaxed. It looks sloppy. Also again that tendency for dropped elbow and broken wrist, when he snaps out his relaxation.
Cant be too relaxed in body tone sadly. There is no ground foundation, so the core has to be built as a foundation. That takes some semi static muscle tone and certain actions on top of that semi static toned vessel.
Wish it was differnt, but sorry, thats required. Just like you need tone to walk with good posture, Cant totally relax all those muscles....
When the timing is perfect you need les tension, but some is always required, only swimmers dont feel it anymore, just like you dont feel anymore the muscle action thats needed to be able to walk.
But watch 80 plus year olds walk, doesnt work so well anymore. Muscle action starts to drop below minimum effort level required.

Last edited by Zenturtle : 08-04-2018 at 12:07 AM.