Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > Freestyle
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-02-2015

nat23
Default Need Help: Laser Head Rotation

I have been working on lessons 1 & 2 of the Perpetual Motion DVD, for about 5 pool hours.

Today I tried to progress to lesson 3 and could not perform the laser head rotation.

As soon as I try to go from Superman Glide (SG) to body rotation I loose balance completely.

Can someone help me out as to what could be the problem?

Regards
Nat

Last edited by nat23 : 05-03-2015 at 03:58 PM.
Old 05-03-2015
coach

CoachStuartMcDougal

Hi Nat,

I believe you are moving from superman to skate, on left edge or right edge. Laser lead is to keep head locked in same position from superman to skate. The human instinct is to move head with shoulder and twist spine when rotating to left or right edge. We (coaches) often use or describe as the "three lane highway". Superman rotating to skate, 1. make sure lead arm remains wide and deep, 2. head remains still, doesn't move or twist when rotating to skate, 3. recovery arm is molded to front of body, like having hand in *front* pocket (DO NOT wrap recovery arm and hand on hip or on hip pocket). 1, 2, and 3 noted above have their own lane, no trading or switching lanes :-)

If you are sinking in skate: 1,2, and/or 3 noted above are in the wrong position and/or trading lanes. Be patient, it's a process - you are learning balance and it's a skill that takes time.

Stuart
Old 05-03-2015

nat23

Thankyou Coach for taking the time to respond.

Maybe I wasn't clear in my post but I was referring to the first drill in the breathing section where you go from face down position in water to on your back.

When I try to do that I loose balance. I was wondering if someone could tell me what I might be doing wrong.

Thanks
Nat
Old 05-03-2015

fooboo

Quote:
Originally Posted by nat23 View Post
you go from face down position in water to on your back.
When I try to do that I loose balance. I was wondering if someone could tell me what I might be doing wrong.
I'm not familiar with the drill, but you have to be fish to
go from one position to another without a second thought.
My best bet is that the head should stay still. If one wants
to breathe to the i.e. left, you start with right recovery and
just let head to stay the same, regarding the chest. It rota-
tes where it should be.
Leading arm andgled down, canot stay in that position, when
you turn to your back. If you keep arm paralel to the surface,
you could go to "sweet spot" easily, just have to press on the
chest, if legs sink.
Spite shoulder pain, I went to the pool this weekend and still
thought shoulder position, regarding head, head down, made
big impact on balance and else. I'm positive balance and stream-
lining are really that important.
Old 05-03-2015

nat23

Thanks Fooboo

However I'm still looking for input with regards to this specific drill: 3.1 Laser Lead Rotation TO AIR.

Wherein you start with SG glide (face down) and then turn your body to go on your back.

Last edited by nat23 : 05-03-2015 at 04:00 PM.
Old 05-03-2015
coach

CoachStuartMcDougal

Quote:
Thankyou Coach for taking the time to respond.

Maybe I wasn't clear in my post but I was referring to the first drill in the breathing section where you go from face down position in water to on your back.

Thanks
Nat
Ahh -got it. That's "sweet spot" breathing, it's much like "skate" off of your back. You are sinking on the roll due to lifting head, tucking chin seeking air sooner than it is available. Keep head and spine "laser beam" aligned as you roll, exhale through your nose, be patient and wait for your face to break surface. Us humans want to chase air with our face, lift head - and it's down periscope we go :-)

I would start on your back first to get use to the neutral posture that keeps you balanced and level - not flat, but leaning on one edge (left or right), or one shoulder below surface, one shoulder above. When confident in sweet spot, then try the superman to skate (face down), and gently roll to sweet spot (face up).

Stuart
Old 05-04-2015
coach

CoachStuartMcDougal

Here's a recent skill video from Shinji that provides an excellent demo of sweet spot. It's in the context of the switch drill, using weight shift to rotate body, forward momentum and finishing in sweet spot. Both side and front views in video. Notice no head lift or spine twist as he rolls to sweet spot.

Sweet spot is also an excellent recovery position in open water (physically and emotionally) so you don't stop forward momentum, where body is most buoyant - get the air you need and/or get breathing under control if anxiety took over.

Select this link: Coach Shinji: Using Momentum of the Switch

Stuart
Old 05-04-2015

nat23

Thankyou Coach

I plan to work on it today and report progress.

One question related to kick while performing the drill: should it be strong from the hips or a light one?

Regards
Nat
Old 05-04-2015
coach

CoachStuartMcDougal

Quote:
Thankyou Coach

I plan to work on it today and report progress.

One question related to kick while performing the drill: should it be strong from the hips or a light one?

Regards
Nat
Not strong kick, knees/quads will take over. I prefer connected hip verses light kick. The emphasis is weight shift driving rotation, not the kicking leg. Hope that helps.

Stuart
Old 05-05-2015
Coach

CoachSuzanne

Quote:
I have been working on lessons 1 & 2 of the Perpetual Motion DVD, for about 5 pool hours.

Today I tried to progress to lesson 3 and could not perform the laser head rotation.

As soon as I try to go from Superman Glide (SG) to body rotation I loose balance completely.

Can someone help me out as to what could be the problem?

Regards
Nat
To add to stuart's excellent advice...you may be doing nothing "wrong" it's simply a new skill. yes there are subtle (or not so subtle) changes in varoius body parts or positions,b ut the nervous system is remarkably adaptable when exposed to a new activity.

The simple act of sleeping (which I should be doing now) creates new pathways and prunes old ones.

I guarantee you'll be better at the same skill the next time you try it, even without doing anything consciously differntly.
Coach of 5 time USA Triathlon Triathlete of the Year, Kirsten Sass
Steel City Endurance, LTD
Fresh Freestyle