Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > Freestyle
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-25-2012

katypfarmgirl
Default TI Stroke technique-Catch

Had to use my wife's TI account to get this video on...So no I am not a farm girl! I have been working on the TI stroke technique. I attached a link which shows where i am with it. I am correcting an midline reach with the Left and lack of spear with the Right. I would like a comment on things especially the angle of the elbow on the catch. I had some local input and they suggested more of an angle to the elbow. Thanks!

http://youtu.be/xrAcaChvK14

Last edited by katypfarmgirl : 05-25-2012 at 10:57 AM.
Old 05-25-2012

a338082
Default Feedback on my swim

I could not watch your video. I got an error and nothing is wrong with my setting.
Old 05-27-2012

katypfarmgirl

Tested the link, it works for me. Please let me know if others can not open the link. Still looking for a comment on my catch!!!
Old 05-27-2012

WFEGb

Hi Katypfarmgirl,

just 2ct from an other greenhorn: It's a very short session. Seems to be a smooth an non splashing stroke with good lateral balance.

- Your spearing (and catch pull) seems to go a little bit to your centerline not to the two "rails holding the bulls eyes" in shoulder width. (Resulting further in an overrotation to nearly stacked shoulders.)
- When spearing your right hand does a little waving. That's unnecessary drag. Relaxed recovery hand and a deeper spear could help (fingers below wrist, wrist below ellbow, ellbow below shoulder).
- Your catch-push arm is nearly straight all the time. You'll need a lot of power for that, and some of it brings your body up and not forward. (As I see it your whole body seems to go up and down, that's better than just your shoulders but staying aline is even better...) Think of Terry's post box where to swim into.

Have in mind: Just a beginners sight.

Regards,
Werner
Old 05-27-2012

bret.moffett

Quote:
Originally Posted by katypfarmgirl View Post
Had to use my wife's TI account to get this video on...So no I am not a farm girl! I have been working on the TI stroke technique. I attached a link which shows where i am with it. I am correcting an midline reach with the Left and lack of spear with the Right. I would like a comment on things especially the angle of the elbow on the catch. I had some local input and they suggested more of an angle to the elbow. Thanks!

I suggest a more patient lead hand. Although it may just be the foreshortening of the head-on camera angle, it looks to me like your recovery hand is almost back at your waist before your spearing hand enters the water.
Old 05-27-2012
Coach

CoachDavidShen

Quote:
Tested the link, it works for me. Please let me know if others can not open the link. Still looking for a comment on my catch!!!
some quick comments - the video is tough to see everything as the view is on your head and the arms move out of view towards the end. but here are some:

1. it looks like you are sweeping straight arm in a wide arc, starting from the front and then the hand goes down (with the arm straight) and then arcing towards the back at the end. this is not good. you should be moving the hand straight back from where it begins at the full extension of the spear, and back to the hip where it will exit the water.

2. you are also dropping the elbow - in the video, it is definitely happening on the right arm but the left arm is hard to tell because it is somewhat out of view as you pull it back. this causes you to lose extra grip on the water due to the forearm not facing back, but instead you are pulling back by the elbow and leaving the hand/forearm behind the elbow.

the hand/forearm should drop beneath the elbow before you pull back.

to that end, try this - at full extension of the spear, let the fingers and palm relax slightly. if you do this, it will start to face backward. then pretend your arm is resting on the rounded hood of a volkswagen beetle car. it will then create this arc which is what will help you grip a volume of water. then pull back the hand/forearm with the elbow moving a straight path back as close to the surface of the water as possible as your body is turning.

3. as someone else on this thread has mentioned, you should have a more patient lead hand. you should practice leaving it out front a lot longer than you are now. the spear from the recovering arm should be just entering the water as you catch with the lead arm and begin to pull it back. you are definitely pulling back way too early - this reduces your streamline potential and will slow you down.
Old 05-27-2012
Coach

CoachSuzanne

Quote:

Practice swimming several non-breathing strokes with focus on these things:
1) Neck relaxed, head hanging
2) Extending arm on wide trakc
3) Relaxed hand

Focus on keepign the head still without letting it sway back and forth. You'll find that this is easier by decreasing/controlling rotation side to side, and by spearing/extending on wide tracks.

you'll need these basic fundamentals of balance & relaxation before moving forward.
Coach of 5 time USA Triathlon Triathlete of the Year, Kirsten Sass
Steel City Endurance, LTD
Fresh Freestyle

Old 05-29-2012

bpusnsailor

Thanks to everyone for input. I studied the points made. I think the whole problem now that i have put the comments together is: Midline track, stacked shoulders and the final REAL MAJOR problem that i really missed....low elbow on catch, drop hand. BTW the pace is based on a TT at 1.20.

I swam this weekend in lake and lessened my roll, widened the track, emphasized high elbow catch/front quadrant swimming noticing my hands passing them selves by chin level.

Its going to take yet another month to imprint this.

I have concluded filming yourself is the sole most important way to isolate what is wrong, wow!
Will repost once i feel good again...standby