Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > Freestyle
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-18-2012

PKFFW
Default Should I get the Perpetual Motion DVD?

Hi everyone,

A friend recently lent me the Easy Freestyle dvd and I've been practicing up. I'm amazed at my progress as I've always been one of those "I suck at swimming" people. Now I'm starting to think I might actually be able to swim well one day! :-) The only thing I don't find is very clear in the dvd is how to work on the two beat kick. I think this is what is really holding me back from making it all click together.

I notice the new Perpetual Motion dvd has a lesson specifically on this and was wondering if it is worth getting?

Thanks for any replies, thoughts and comments.
Old 01-18-2012

andyinnorway

I think any TI DVD can give you $49 of value in learning.

the 2BK isn't crucial to making it all click, just patience and practice and mindful pool time.

I can now swim 4,000m comfortably but still want to buy the perpetual motion dvd when its available in digital download as I know there will be something in it that I have missed, heard put differently, or not come across before.

$49 now = knowledge for life.

I understand though that $49 is a different amount to different people in different countries though. So the value and level of investment is personal.
Old 01-18-2012

Butiki

I bought that DVD plus the Triathlon Made Easy book (discounted bundle at the time). I thought the drills in the original DVD really broke down the freestyle stroke in small easy-to-chew pieces. The progression was well thought out.

I just bought the Perpetual Motion version. It doesn't really delve too much in how to learn the 2BK. So if that's your only purpose for purchasing it, then don't. I thought the 3-page instructional on the 2BK in the Triathlon book was a lot better.

That said, the drills in the Perpetual Motion DVD are all updated and probably much better reflects the current TI thinking, e.g. superman glide, less body rotation, wide track and separate targets for spearing, weightless head, etc. These concepts were not in the original. For those reasons, you should get the new DVD.
Old 01-18-2012

ALMD

I have both DVDs

I think you probably can get by with the easy free style DVD, since even the perpetual DVD doesn't give you step by step information on how to do the 2 BK, it talks mostly about the benefits you get from the 2 BK in your swimming...

To me, the easy free style DVD have more drills, and more helpful to me than the perpetual DVD, that's my opinion...
Old 01-18-2012

webster99

The only way I was ever going to learn the 2BK was in person with a coach. There was no way I was going to get it from a DVD or book. Once I learned it, I was in swimming heaven!
Old 01-18-2012

PKFFW

Thanks for the replies. I think for now I will just keep practicing and see if I can get it. I've only been doing TI for about 2 months so it's early days yet. I will probably just look at getting a coach for a couple of lessons if I'm still not happy in another month or two.
Old 01-18-2012

rbs24h

I have a stress fracture in my foot. So, I haven't been kicking with that foot.

I had the thought today that it would have been an easy way to learn 2BK. Just doing one side first. It gives you time to get ready for (think about) the next kick, which helps, since the movement is not second nature.

I do know that the 10 Lesson DVD has a lesson on 2BK if you find yourself stuck. Lesson 7 or 8 I think. But as it has been said, it will come.

Good luck
Old 01-25-2012

happa54

Anyone??

I do not see the "easy freestyle" DVD in the store catalog.

Did they discontinue selling it?

Based on one of these posts, the poster stated that this video may be the best way to go over the "perpetual motion" DVD due to more/better drills, 2 BK, etc.

I've been practicing TI for approx 4 months now and have come a long way, but of course, I really need more instruction.

Your thoughts on the DVD...thank you
Old 01-26-2012
Head Coach

terry has disabled reputation

After a period of transition, where we continued selling Easy Freestyle along with the newer Perpetual Motion 10-Lesson Series, we retired EF and now sell only PMF. My primary reason for the update was having become convinced we needed to unequivocally stress--and illustrate--certain self-coaching principles to address difficulties that commonly arise when you don't have educated eyes observing you and educated hands guiding you.
Both EF and PMF illustrate the critical movements. PMF presents what I consider a more foolproof process.

May your laps be as happy as mine.

My TI Story
Old 01-28-2012

happa54

Thanks for your response Terry..... I happened to find a used one online that is being shipped as I write this.

I will also order the PMF lessons just as soon as I finish EF's.

I look forward to more invaluable TI training...I'm really enjoying the changes in my swimming.