FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-30-2013

CharlesCouturier

Chief yes chief.
Old 05-01-2013

swimust

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoachSuzanne View Post
I don't twist my torso. My lumbar spine is to important for that.
got you. I found this:

Quote:
...My disc degeneration must have been due to years of rotational lumbar movement (during kayaking, chiropractiering, self-back-cracking, and the straw-that-literally-broke-my-back...raking gravel).

So I consciously avoid any twist whatsoever at the lumbar region. Also, being a woman with far more padding than shinji has at the hips, I'm likely to always rotate further than he does anyway.
Old 05-01-2013

swimust

Quote:
Recently in Hawaii, Sandra & Terry swum side by side and Terry had a tough time matching Sandra's speed. She is the most beautiful TI swimmer taht I know of that I am now trying to emulate. Why? Because she is a woman, about my height and a similar build...I think I can swim like her...but she is FAST!

I have buried on my harddrive some video of her booking it to the first bouy in Kona...ahead of the rest of the 'fast' group, including Terry & Coach Todd. I believe the first quarter mile was swim in 5-6 minutes.
Here is Sandra: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zi3_MkYq3Uo

my notes of Sandra's swim:
1) "crazy" stroke under water after push off the wall. Its first time I see such thing. master Shinji ;) and all other swimmers wait until their shoulder is on the surface of the water. interesting, I will try that :)

2) From what I see, Sandra is using the lower spine for more body rotation. So maybe that's the reason of your leg kick (CoachSuzanne's leg) going wide. You try to avoid using that area in the spine (bypassing). Was your lumbar problem on the right side of the spine? I have no clue, I am not an expert, just suggesting.

Last edited by swimust : 05-01-2013 at 09:47 AM.
Old 05-01-2013

CharlesCouturier

I didn't mention it earlier. There could be a bit of a fishtailing effect. I first noticed it very early into admiring this clip. But I have no solid hypothesis to elect as a very probable one as to why this would happen, if it does happen (it's just an impression).

Hips would be moving a tidy bit laterally, especial on from-right-side-to-left-side body rotation. It's as if the right leg kick that just comes before this rotation was throwing the hips off a bit, and that as a consequence the leg (left leg) was also thrown a bit too wide. I donno it's just a feeling.

I certainly see nothing wrong with the quality of hips rotation. It's just wow.
Old 05-01-2013
Coach

CoachSuzanne

I actually don't like this clip of Sandra as much as seeing her swim in person, which is why I didn't post it. I must find the other clips of hers and upload my own.
Coach of 5 time USA Triathlon Triathlete of the Year, Kirsten Sass
Steel City Endurance, LTD
Fresh Freestyle

Old 05-02-2013

swimust

Quote:
I actually don't like this clip of Sandra as much as seeing her swim in person, which is why I didn't post it. I must find the other clips of hers and upload my own.
I actually like it and I think that she looks great! she looks very sharp and explosive, just as Shinji wants his swimmers to swim.
(with a short time explosion and a long time glide)