Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > Freestyle
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-08-2016
ti97

Default Hi Y'all

I've been reading as a visitor for about a couple years and figured it's time to join in. Lots of interesting discussions and swimmers here.

I started swimming at the Y at maybe age 10 by jumping in the deep end and almost drowning. Then started back into the water around 1984 just doing sidestroke and some form of breast. I got interested in Counsilman, Boomer, Hines, etc and then found Terry's first TI book.

I first took Terry's workshop in 1997 over a weekend. It was life changing for me. Shortly afterward I had a 30-month project in Hawaii and did a good bit of open water.

I am pretty much a 1hr/day, 5 day/wk swimmer. I'm addicited to it and after swimming, it's generally the best part of my day.

Also have 3 out of 4 kids that were USS but burned out from doubles and have stopped.

Hope to participate some in the discussions....going to the water now.
Old 04-08-2016

gary p

Quote:
Originally Posted by ti97 View Post
Also have 3 out of 4 kids that were USS but burned out from doubles and have stopped.
If any of them show any interest in going back, look into a program that trains under the USRPT doctrine. Much less training volume, much less fatigue, much less burn out, results are still solid.

I suspect I would have done better under such a program when I was in high school. 10-14k yards a day meant I was exhausted all the time, and sick often. As a 45-49 y/o master, I've had very good results in competition, practicing with USRPT for ~ an hour 4-5 times a week, averaging just 2200-2500 yards a workout. Lately I've recently increased my volume a little, but only because I have a 2 mile open water event on schedule early this coming summer.

Last edited by gary p : 04-08-2016 at 04:49 PM.