Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > Freestyle
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-31-2015

Rincewind
Default Nice video!

haven't been to this forum in a long time. but just came across this video and wanted to share. Not official TI, but worth watching IMO.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WTAF3OFhzdA
Old 07-31-2015

daveblt

Nice video ,but with that method what's the purpose of that high over the water arm recovery I'd like to know. It would seem to upset balance vs. keeping the recovery hand just over the water.

Dave
Old 07-31-2015

Rincewind

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveblt View Post
Nice video ,but with that method what's the purpose of that high over the water arm recovery I'd like to know. It would seem to upset balance vs. keeping the recovery hand just over the water.

Dave
Yeah high over water recovery is one fault, kicking is another, I don't think he does a strict 2BK, but still I wish I was as smooth as that!!

A lot of the finer points are missing, but he managed to condense a full freestyle course from beginner to full stroke in about 30 mins video. Thats the impressive part for me.
Old 07-31-2015

Richardsk

I have his book, Master the Art of Swimming, and in it he explains his rationale for the high straight arm recovery, followed by what he calls the 'salute', in which the elbow bends to place the hand in the water at a similar point to that prescribed by the TI method. He is a follower of the Alexander Method and regards what he calls the 'chicken wing' recovery as potentially damaging to the shoulder.

A quotation:
" The distinctive Shaw Method resembles the wings of an eagle, as opposed to the traditional high elbow recovery commonly known as 'chicken wings'. Our eagle-like arm action is streamlined and powerful. Because it does not involve hunching, it minimizes strain on the shoulder joint."

Incidentally, there was some discussion of the Shaw method a couple of years ago on this form and I remember that Terry was not enthusiastic.

This video is no doubt posted on youtube without the authority of Stephen Shaw, just as certain of the earlier TI videos have appeared without authority.

I imagine it is possible to have these videos removed from youtube but perhaps they have the advantage of interesting people who would otherwise not have become aware of either TI or the Shaw Method.
Old 07-31-2015

Rincewind

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richardsk View Post
I have his book, Master the Art of Swimming, and in it he explains his rationale for the high straight arm recovery, followed by what he calls the 'salute', in which the elbow bends to place the hand in the water at a similar point to that prescribed by the TI method. He is a follower of the Alexander Method and regards what he calls the 'chicken wing' recovery as potentially damaging to the shoulder.

A quotation:
" The distinctive Shaw Method resembles the wings of an eagle, as opposed to the traditional high elbow recovery commonly known as 'chicken wings'. Our eagle-like arm action is streamlined and powerful. Because it does not involve hunching, it minimizes strain on the shoulder joint."

Incidentally, there was some discussion of the Shaw method a couple of years ago on this form and I remember that Terry was not enthusiastic.

This video is no doubt posted on youtube without the authority of Stephen Shaw, just as certain of the earlier TI videos have appeared without authority.

I imagine it is possible to have these videos removed from youtube but perhaps they have the advantage of interesting people who would otherwise not have become aware of either TI or the Shaw Method.
Oh really? I didn't even realize it was following some commercial method, I thought it was just some enthusiast trying to share his methods with the swimming community.
Old 07-31-2015

Danny

The same folks have a very nice series on butterfly
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9QRElrG-NtQ
which I found very helpful.
Old 07-31-2015

Richardsk

The book Mastering the Art of Swimming covers all four competitive strokes but is not aimed at competitive swimmers. I also have the butterfly DVD published by the Shaw outfit, but I'm afraid no book or DVD has as yet produced a decent fly for me.

I have on occasion managed to swim enough fly to avoid disqualification in 100M IM and 50M SC and even on one occasion 200M SC and also on one occasion 200M LC, but for the moment I'm proceeding on the assumption that I am not cut out for fly. However I still enjoy swimming one arm fly and breaststroke arms with fly legs.

A local coach who is currently in Canada has claimed that he can teach me fly and I intend to let him have a shot at it. I have to wait until September when he returns.

I had a couple of lessons from a Shaw method coach who operates not far from here, but I fear to no real avail.
Old 07-31-2015

WFEGb

Hello Richardsk,

Quote:
... but I'm afraid no book or DVD has as yet produced a decent fly for me.
Did you have a look into Shinji's ebook and DVD?

http://tiswim.jp/digital-en/ebooks/c...00mfly-en.html

Best regards,
Werner
Old 07-31-2015

Richardsk

Hi Werner

Definitely worth a try. I am waiting for the download link. Have you tried it yourself?
Old 07-31-2015

Richardsk

Hi Werner

Definitely worth a try. I am waiting for the download link. Have you tried it yourself?

Have now downloaded the video link. Interesting.