Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > Freestyle
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-26-2012

timmct
Default The gift of swimming

Yesterday was Christmas in our home. I know it's not celebrated in the homes of everyone who reads this forum but I felt I needed to share a little something that just kinda hit me this morning. In our home, Christmas is the traditional time to give gifts to our loved ones and friends. Hopefully, in all of the noise and hustle of our everyday lives we can find that one special present that the person secretly dreams about but might never dare ask for.

I've never been a big Christmas-type person. 'Over-commercialization' is a phrase that springs immediately to my mind whenever this time of year rolls around. But this morning I realized that I had received my special present this year and it wasn't wrapped in a box under the Christmas tree.

I had always wanted to learn how to swim, never knew where to start, and was thinking it may never happen. [Queue background music from Shinji video here]

Without getting overly dramatic, finding the Perpetual Motion video and, just as importantly, this forum, has given me a tremendous gift. One that I've always dreamed about, but never had the courage to ask anyone for.

Thank you, Terry. And thank you all on this forum.
Old 12-26-2012
Head Coach

terry has disabled reputation
Default Thank YOU Tim

Tim
Thank you for sharing holiday cheer and a valuable perspective with us. I was deeply touched.
Would you mind sharing further a bit more background on your swimming history, how you got started with TI and where you think you might go from here?

May your laps be as happy as mine.

My TI Story
Old 12-27-2012

timmct
Default Sorry for the book report.....

Terry, your reply speaks volumes as to why so many of us find these forums so valuable. It's clear that you truly enjoy that others are able to learn from your lessons and the other 'regular' contributors have that outstanding quality as well.

My swimming background is probably like a lot of others who read your posts. I learned to keep my head above water as a kid via Red Cross lessons in the community pool. I had a bad experience where I lost my footing and was pulled out by an alert lifeguard. Weak fundamental skills and a subliminal fear of deep water. Yeah, that about sums it up.

Bottom line: I was able to 'beat the water into submission' for short distances (10-15 yds) but never felt comfortable or confident, especially in deeper water.

Fast forward 30+ years to June 2012. My workouts were getting stale and the gym I belong to has a very nice, rarely crowded pool. So, something said now's the time to figure this thing out. A quick online search and one look at a TI demo and it was a 'done deal'. This is what I wanted, no...needed...to learn.

I started by buying the Perpetual Motion video from the digital store.

I promised myself to take my time and not move to the next lesson until I had mastered each skill. At first I got a lot of strange looks. But now the lifeguards who have seen my progression are asking me about TI...and I'm more than happy to tell them.

I started in July of this year. At the start I could 'swim' 10-15 yds before I was exhausted. Using one of the workouts from this forum, I've progressed up to 1000 yds in a session (4x25, 3x50, 2x75, 1x100 and repeat). My goal is to swim a mile, uninterrupted, with good form throughout. Beyond that, I'm only now starting to imagine.

I have a very long way to go, but I'm light years ahead of where I was this summer...and with the help of the GREAT people on this forum, I know it'll be an awesome journey!
Old 12-27-2012
Head Coach

terry has disabled reputation
Default From Comfort to Kaizen

Tim
It's obvious that your experiences thus far have ignited real passion and appreciation for swimming. There is literally a lifetime of potential improvement, learning, refinement and insight that lies ahead. My last blog of 2012 will be about how to set resolutions or goals for 2013. I'll keep your example in mind as I write it.
Thanks for the inspiration.

May your laps be as happy as mine.

My TI Story