Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > Freestyle
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-03-2012

mossy
Default weight loss

has anybody had any experience of weight loss and performance in the pool going down hill over a 3 month period i have lost 1.5 stone this i believe is down to the interval training i have been doing but the results are instead of gliding through the water i am now fighting the water and my stroke is down from 13 to 15 also i am finding it harder to do my usual mile swim in my usual time of 22-24 minutes my weight was 17 stone before and now i am 15.5 and 47 years old any advice is welcome
Old 08-03-2012

borate

Quote:
Originally Posted by mossy View Post
Has anybody had any experience of weight loss and performance in the pool going down hill over a 3 month period?
Certainly, intense exercise - perhaps overtraining - might cause your symptoms. Yet, weight and performance decreases could have a physical root. Consider having a checkup and talk with your internist.
Old 08-03-2012

andyinnorway

Quote:
Originally Posted by mossy View Post
has anybody had any experience of weight loss and performance in the pool going down hill over a 3 month period i have lost 1.5 stone this i believe is down to the interval training i have been doing but the results are instead of gliding through the water i am now fighting the water and my stroke is down from 13 to 15 also i am finding it harder to do my usual mile swim in my usual time of 22-24 minutes my weight was 17 stone before and now i am 15.5 and 47 years old any advice is welcome
maybe you are short of energy from eating better but not enough. Athlete's need big plates of Veg and Salad and I find if I am in a junk food cycle I can swim when I like, if I am in a health food cycle I need to time my swims in sync with my food intake.
Old 08-04-2012

azamy

You are probably not feeding your muscles with enough nutrients & vitamins. You also need to rest so that your muscles recover from the fatigue and exhaustion. I am telling you from experience, I'm also on a weight loss program since February and have lost nearly 27 pounds. I still need to lose another 15 pounds to be on the normal range. I am 1.80 cm tall and by February I weighed 218 pounds. Now I weigh 191 pounds.

What I have noticed is I have better performance in swimming, I am lighter, I have better streamline and buoyancy, my kicks are compact and propulsive. The reason is clear, before losing all that weight I had to carry 27 extra pounds of fat and after getting rid of them with the same muscles I should perform better. One thing to note is that because I also go to the gym I tire earlier in my swim sessions. The days I break the rule, skip gym and have high carb food I can swim 30-40 mins longer :)

I am really missing my six packs (last time I saw them was in 2001) then I gained weight like a cow and was over weight for the most part of this 11 year period. Thanks to TI and my improvement in swimming, now these two do not go along, beautiful swimming with an over weight body! I have decided to get the six packs back and if I do the credit will go to TI. I will post a before and after pic once I reach the target :) Any advice from Doc Sue in regards to weight loss and nutrition will be highly appreciated :) I really enjoy reading her thoughtful posts.

P.S I am really missing swimming! I haven't swum for the last 15 days (Because of Fasting and Holy Month of Ramadan).
Old 08-04-2012

ian mac
Default Too many variables to give good advice

Mossy,
Any time someone loses 10% of their body weight in 3 months, they will find a variety of factors have contributed to this. You do not give enough information to allow an informed opinion.
Duration of exercise program, intensity and variation are all important to know as well as overall lifestyle and most importantly as azamy notes, your diet.
Speaking with a family doctor or nutritionist who has athletes as clients will give you better more detailed advice
ian mac

Last edited by ian mac : 08-04-2012 at 03:31 PM.
Old 08-04-2012

nicka

I'm no doctor or athlete but to lose weight at that sort of rate while trying to increase performance would take a perfectly balanced diet as the fuels needed for performance are being burned off in the weight loss.
Keep up the complex carbs and protein if you are working on performance through fitness.
I find myself losing performance and energy if i swim for 2 or 3 consecutive days as the body needs a rest and time to refuel, this is even if i am just doing drill as all the kicking seems to burn off the calories.
Just my opinion.
Nick
Old 08-05-2012

Ladyfish
Default Absolutey-weight loss slows you down

Mossy,

With due respect to all the other posters- I have had this experience, having lost about 50 lbs and YES!---I noticed a slowdown after about every 3-5 lbs of weight loss. It is like having to learn to swim all over again I think because the weight = fat = bouyancy! Depending on where you carry your weight, it has a large effect on your balance. After a few weeks, you will adapt and be OK again.

Congratulations on the weight loss!

Ingrid
Old 03-25-2014

Leroy005

My experience reveals that a proper workout plan is most effective way for the weight loss. I have lost 30 pounds of my weight through regular workout plan in last two months.
I focus more on outdoor cardio workouts for the weight reduction. I lost this weight through one hour daily workout of running, jogging, swimming, and cycling.

Last edited by Leroy005 : 04-26-2014 at 09:50 AM.
Old 03-25-2014

dprevish

In a book I read about Chrissie Wellington there was time when she was underweight and she remarked that it impacted her ease in the swim of her Triathlon.
I myself have lost about 20 lbs in the last 4 years through multi-sport and for me it requires me to be all the more balanced than I was before.
Old 03-25-2014

exmax

most weight loss tends to occur around the extremities first, especially the legs if you are doing other cardio vascular or resistance training
so if this area has lost a greater percentage of fat then in theory your balance point will have changed
it may be something as simple as adjusting your spear depth ?