Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > Freestyle
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-28-2012

timmct
Default Newbie question(s)

Greetings and thank you to everyone who has contributed to these forums in the past. The information you provide here, no matter how insignificant it may seem to you, really makes a difference to newbies like myself.

My background: 51yr old male, adult onset swimmer. TI devotee for the last month or so. Awesome Back Yard Pool (BYP) swimmer....diving board, 3 impeccable strokes to ladder, climb gracefully out of water, resume semi-reclined position, repeat as necessary. Having said that I'm in better than average shape for my age, good coordination, balance and cardio-conditioning. I've just never swam any distance and probably have tons of bad habits to unlearn. I have the Perpetual Motion videos and am following them to the best of my ability, step-by-step, and not moving forward until comfortable with each lesson.

Whew. So the questions.

SG and Skate arm angles: The many many videos I've watched appear to have a few different arm angles. Many have a more pronounced 45 degree-ish (hand below elbow, elbow below shoulder, hand relaxed) appearance with the hand a 'significant' depth below the surface, while others are at a much shallower angle more parallel with the surface. From my experience so far, I glide much farther and more effortlessly at a shallower depth (say 6"-8"). I want to be sure I've imprinted the correct position now because I sense that it will have a direct impact on future skills I'll need to learn.

Rotation: Again, different rotations in different videos. Some rotate 'just enough to get one shoulder above water' which makes sense as you're more stable, while others rotate to a more dramatic angle (not 'stacked' but like 45 degrees when viewed from the front). Which should I be aiming for?

Why I'm asking: I'm now on Lesson 3 Breathing easy. I have no problems with 9/10 of the lesson, until it gets to take a few strokes with interrupted breathing...then the wheels fall off. I think it's linked to the 'patient lead hand' and rotating to the correct place. I know I've gotta crack this lesson or I won't be able to progress.

Any help or explanations would be great!
Thanks,
Tim
Old 06-28-2012

The Bear

I started this year as a 50 year old non-swimmer. Did a lot of runs, bike races, and biathlons. I had some of the same issues you did. One of the things that I learned to help me breathing was to keep my lead hand patient. Yes, I know that's the problem. I finally figured out that when my lead hand came in over my head that I couldn't maintain the patient lead hand. When I kept it out wider (shoulder width or wider), it was much easier to breathe and keep the lead hand still.

Maybe this will help, maybe it won't. Good luck anyway.
Old 07-01-2012

kalinma
Default I hear 'ya

Quote:
Originally Posted by timmct View Post
The many many videos I've watched appear to have a few different arm angles. Many have a more pronounced 45 degree-ish (hand below elbow, elbow below shoulder, hand relaxed) appearance with the hand a 'significant' depth below the surface, while others are at a much shallower angle more parallel with the surface.
Personally, I think that changing my freestyle stroke to have the hand/arm pierce the water and angle downward helped me quite a bit, namely with maintaining a horizontal position in the water. In the video on YouTube entitled "TI Fishlike freestyle by Kris" you can see he angles down noticeably. Someone commented on it recently and I appreciated his response:
"...aiming low helps with balance, but yes I'd rather keep it higher so i spend some time working on it and it is higher now at least I hope it is ;) on the other hand I have to say I couldn't feel the increased drag ...
it is a valid point that you are making, but for me lowering my arm allowed me to stay more horizontal all together reducing overall so maybe this is a reason why I didn't felt it as an increase but reduction in drag"

I'm going to continue angling down until I get more aspects of my technique together. Then I may do as Kris mentions and try to keep my arm a bit higher and closer to the surface of the water. Right now there are just too many other things I need to improve and I don't feel the downward angle is hindering, but rather helping me.

Last edited by kalinma : 07-01-2012 at 10:59 PM. Reason: grammar!
Old 07-10-2012

timmct
Default Movin' past lesson #3

OK, if anyone is interested I think I found what the heck I was doing wrong when trying to breath as demonstrated in the Perpetual Motion 'Breathe easy' lesson. It took an outside observer to point it out but I'll take assistance from whatever source I can get it.

It was pointed out that although I was very streamlined and 'laser beamed' towards the 'target' while skating and gliding, my form fell apart when 'rolling to air'. Specifically, my lead arm (probably at too deep of an angle) would roll much too far towards the side wall, throwing my balance off and causing much flailing, crying, and gnashing of teeth.

So instead of the lead arm floating up and across to the other track (as in the lesson) it was pointing about 45 degrees (roughly) off track when in the 'just off the back' position. Again, I think I had a skate leading arm angle that was too steep AND because of some residual shoulder flexibility issues it was difficult to 'open the shoulder' and keep the arm pointing more or less towards the target while rolling to the just off the back position (sweet spot I think it's referred to in other versions).

I was able to work through this by really concentrating on keeping the relaxed lead hand pointing towards the target while rolling, and by trying to improve the flexibility of the shoulders to make the rotation smoother and more natural.

Of course, now I see in subsequent lessons that the 'roll to the other track' move is not practiced......figures. Hey, it's all learning.

Thanks for everyone's feedback.

Tim