Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > Freestyle
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-18-2012

Butiki
Default What is 3-beep pushoff?

Quick question - what does Terry mean by "3 beep pushoff"? It's in regards to an old thread I found on using a Tempo Trainer:

Guaranteed to Improve SPL

Does it mean this: to time the wall push-off on 1st beep. Then count 2nd beep while still just gliding. Then count 3rd beep on first underwater arm stroke. Then 4th beep will be 2nd underwater arm stroke, as the first arm re-enters the water (arms switch). That 4th beep would be the 1st count for SPL? Is my understanding correct? (If so, I've been counting my SPL wrong all this time...)
Old 02-18-2012
Head Coach

terry has disabled reputation

I drop underwater on a beep, count 3 beeps during my streamlined glide, and time my first stroke to enter the water (i.e. completing a stroke that began in streamline) on the 4th beep.
As tempo rises to about 1.6 and above I adjust to synch first stroke with 3rd beep.
On turns I allow one more beep for the time consumed by the somersault.

May your laps be as happy as mine.

My TI Story
Old 02-18-2012

andyinnorway

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butiki View Post
Quick question - what does Terry mean by "3 beep pushoff"? It's in regards to an old thread I found on using a Tempo Trainer:

Guaranteed to Improve SPL

Does it mean this: to time the wall push-off on 1st beep. Then count 2nd beep while still just gliding. Then count 3rd beep on first underwater arm stroke. Then 4th beep will be 2nd underwater arm stroke, as the first arm re-enters the water (arms switch). That 4th beep would be the 1st count for SPL? Is my understanding correct? (If so, I've been counting my SPL wrong all this time...)
Your description above is as Terry concurred.

SPL as we describe in sets is only the middle part of 3 things that effect our times.

Push off, SPL and turn time.

A full 2 beeps of glide (as Terry describes) is nice and relaxing but I find it easier to maintain a similar pace by taking a beep out of the push off and adding one SPL, as this will give you the same lap time.
Old 02-18-2012
Coach

CoachToddE

As long as you have been consistent in the way you count beeps before starting your first stroke it's perfectly fine. The key point is to be consistent from push-off to push-off so you get accurate SPL counts. I also count as Terry does and it works well for me. If you only count 2 as AndyinNorway does that's fine as well as long as you are consistent.
Old 02-19-2012

Butiki

Thanks all, for clarifying. I wasn't consistent with myself or with how the members count SPL. Looking back, I think I was wishy-washy in my counting. I'd start counting whenever I felt like it - which was dependent on how much air I needed at the push-off.

I'd try Terry's method next time I'm at the pool - (beep #0) submerge myself then push-off, (beeps #1 & #2) underwater glide from the push-off, (beep #3) perform 1st underwater stroke, (beep #4) perform arm switch - this is SPL count #1, (beep #5) another arm switch which is SPL count #2, etc. etc. etc.

Follow-up question: I can't do flip-turns. So for open turns, should I strive to count the same way as a normal push-off?
Old 02-19-2012

andyinnorway

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butiki View Post
Thanks all, for clarifying. I wasn't consistent with myself or with how the members count SPL. Looking back, I think I was wishy-washy in my counting. I'd start counting whenever I felt like it - which was dependent on how much air I needed at the push-off.

I'd try Terry's method next time I'm at the pool - (beep #0) submerge myself then push-off, (beeps #1 & #2) underwater glide from the push-off, (beep #3) perform 1st underwater stroke, (beep #4) perform arm switch - this is SPL count #1, (beep #5) another arm switch which is SPL count #2, etc. etc. etc.

Follow-up question: I can't do flip-turns. So for open turns, should I strive to count the same way as a normal push-off?
yes, just add one beat for the open turn then as below. then you have a precise length each time and can confidently calculate your times based on TT and SPL
Old 02-19-2012

tab

Consistency is the name of the game. I do open turns and strive to always take the first stroke just past the flags, no TT. I will have to try one some day. When I take the first peek, I say there, just where I should be.