Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > Freestyle
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-17-2016

Tom Pamperin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny View Post
Sometimes this happens to me because I am pushing off the wall with the same foot. When I feel it coming on, I try to always push of the wall with the other foot, which seems to help.
Danny,

thanks for this--I recently had a massive cramping/tightening incident (probably tied in with IT band and the entire leg) at the end of a 10 x 50m set that seized up my entire calf in both directions (flexion/extension) and had me hesitant about getting back to it. I tried the "push with the other leg" idea and it worked great. Apparently I have some asymmetries to work on in my push-offs!
Old 05-17-2016
Coach

CoachBobM

I'd be interested to hear whether a medical doctor like Suzanne Atkinson has any advice to give. There are only a couple of times I've had a cramp like that when swimming, and the only solution I found was to stop and get out of the pool. One of the two times I tried toughing it out, but the pain just got worse and worse until finally I had to stop.

Bob
Old 05-18-2016
allegro

I almost always get cramps in my ankles somewhere between 2000 and 2400 yards (used to be 1600-2000). I swim mostly freestyle (2 beat kick) but also some breaststroke and some body dolphin breaststroke and an occasional 400 IM. I can go another 50 or 100 yards after the cramps start, but then I have to get out of the pool and put weight on my feet. Not fun.

I've also noticed that the weeks where I'm doing daily or almost daily swimming are also the nights where I get woken up many times per night with leg cramps. Currently I'm away at a horse show with my daughter where I'm not swimming at all but doing a Lot of walking and a lot of stall cleaning - and no leg cramps at night.

I think I'm well hydrated and I take magnesium supplements (plus Vit D/Calcium). I think this helps, but obviously not completely. Not sure if this is a bigger medical issue that I should check into.
Old 05-18-2016

Danny

Quote:
Originally Posted by allegro View Post
I've also noticed that the weeks where I'm doing daily or almost daily swimming are also the nights where I get woken up many times per night with leg cramps. Currently I'm away at a horse show with my daughter where I'm not swimming at all but doing a Lot of walking and a lot of stall cleaning - and no leg cramps at night.
Ah yes, it's bad enough when you get cramps in the pool, but the ultimate indignity is to get thrown out of bed in the middle of the night with foot or leg cramps. Some of this may be simply age related. When I am lying in bed sometimes I get cold feet. When this happens, I try to use my feet to pull the blankets over them to better cover them. Doing this type of foot gymnastics then brings on the cramps. The solution? 1) Don't get cold feet 2) If you have to cover them better with blankets, do it with your hands, don't try to do it with your feet. Not sure why this was never a problem when I was younger...

One reason why we can get cramps when swimming is balance issues. Often when we get out of balance in the water, we try to use our feet to restore the proper balance and this can bring on the cramps. So if this is happening a lot to you, it pays to think about whether you are trying to maintain body position with your feet at some point in your stroke when you get out of balance.
Old 07-11-2016
ti97

Just saw this:

http://www.wsj.com/articles/a-new-wa...mps-1468256588

A New Way to Prevent Muscle Cramps
Nobel Prize winner Rod MacKinnon found that pungent and spicy tastes can hinder neurological misfires that cause cramps