Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > Freestyle
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-26-2011

FrustratedStephen

Thanks again, I particularly like Westyswoods idea and will definitely be giving it a try.
Old 12-26-2011
Coach

CoachSuzanne

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtravis View Post
In the clinic, they said to kick with the low leg to initiate the switch (I think I've read that on the forums too). Would you agree with this? If so, how does this mesh with what you said about the high side hip causing the hand to spear? Should I be able to do the switch with the hips only (no kicking)? If so, then are you saying that once I add the kicking, my correct leg will automatically kick?
It's nearly the same thing, but 2 different focal points. Since this thread is asking about hips, I gave a hip suggestion. Most people can tune into hips easier than feet, but regardless, both hip side hip and bottom side foot are focal points I use in my own swimming. Many will get the proper foot movement when the feel the proper hip movement.
Coach of 5 time USA Triathlon Triathlete of the Year, Kirsten Sass
Steel City Endurance, LTD
Fresh Freestyle

Old 12-26-2011

jtravis

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoachSuzanne View Post
It's nearly the same thing, but 2 different focal points. Since this thread is asking about hips, I gave a hip suggestion. Most people can tune into hips easier than feet, but regardless, both hip side hip and bottom side foot are focal points I use in my own swimming. Many will get the proper foot movement when the feel the proper hip movement.
Thanks Coach Suzanne! And thanks Paul, Butiki, Janos, Andy & others too. There are several suggestions in this thread that I think will help me. I sill try doing the spear by focusing on the hips only, and wait until later to try to add the kick.

Jennifer
Old 12-27-2011
Coach

CoachBillG

Hey Steve,

Continue practicing the Skate Drill and Zen Skating but focus on the height of your hips and legs to the surface of the water. If you are Skating on your LEFT side with your LEFT arm leading, notice the position and height of your RIGHT hip and vice versa with the other side.

The higher the hips and legs, the less fluttering your legs will do and the easier it will be to utilize them because in essence, you are better balanced. The key to making Spear Switches / Under Switches easier is the 2 beat kick, or kicking once with the opposite leg to the opposite piercing arm.

The reason the drill is difficult for you is because you are probable wiggling around in the water fluttering more than you have to.

Let me know if this makes sense to you.

Best,
Bill
Old 12-28-2011

FrustratedStephen

Thanks CoachBillG

When I skate my legs and hips are reasonably high, better when I'm on my left side.
But I don't see that as my problem nor my legkick.
It's simply utilising my whole body in the spear movement. It's totally arm/shoulder lead at the moment, my hips are just dragged along for the ride without adding to or indeed initiating the process.
Some of the other contributions have given me things I can work on, but I'm still searching for a sense of what my hips should feel like or something I can compare it against. Maybe if I got a hula hoop or even a DVD of an early Elvis performance it would help.
Old 12-28-2011

manalartigaud
Default using hips

what is the dvd that shows this using heps ?