Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > Freestyle
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-29-2013
Coach

CoachSuzanne
Default Coach Suzanne's latest swim video

Here it is for you to dissect, analyze, complement, criticize, mathematicize, etc.

Let me know what you think.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T2sOy...duU53rcj9xgBfw
Coach of 5 time USA Triathlon Triathlete of the Year, Kirsten Sass
Steel City Endurance, LTD
Fresh Freestyle

Old 04-29-2013

swimust

Hi,
1) What is that wire coming out of your left ear, and is that what increased your SPL to almost 21 strokes? ;)

2) It seems that you rotate too much to the right side, maybe because its your breathing side. Doing a "Shinji leg snap" might allow me a better control on the side rotation because I can then use upper body (chest) to control the torso twist. In comparison, your "full leg kick" doesn't allow separating the hip from the chest (upper body) during rotation. Do I make any sense or is it just a donkey ramblings? :)

3) You swim here 20 strokes in 22 seconds. Can you please explain the technical and physical differences between your swim and Shinji when he swims 12 strokes in 19 seconds? Your explanation can help me understand more and know what I need to work on. Thanks!
link to Shinji 12 SPL: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HHHOxBSeoFk

4) CoachStuartMcDougal made me a swimmer yesterday but enough talking about me ;)
I feel like I am in a new dawn but I try to say nothing because of past experiences.. :)
the latttttttts !

5) MOST IMPORTANT, how do you get those pink and yellow TI caps?
Do you ship them to the big wide world or is it just a camp/cult thing? ;)

Last edited by swimust : 04-30-2013 at 12:08 AM.
Old 04-30-2013
Coach

CoachSuzanne

Quote:
Originally Posted by swimust View Post
Hi,
1) What is that wire coming out of your left ear, and is that what increased your SPL to almost 21 strokes? ;)

2) It seems that you rotate too much to the right side, maybe because its your breathing side. Doing a "Shinji leg snap" might allow me a better control on the side rotation because I can then use upper body (chest) to control the torso twist. In comparison, your "full leg kick" doesn't allow separating the hip from the chest (upper body) during rotation. Do I make any sense or is it just a donkey ramblings? :)

3) You swim here 20 strokes in 22 seconds. Can you please explain the technical and physical differences between your swim and Shinji when he swims 12 strokes in 19 seconds? Your explanation can help me understand more and know what I need to work on. Thanks!
link to Shinji 12 SPL: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HHHOxBSeoFk

4) CoachStuartMcDougal made me a swimmer yesterday but enough talking about me ;)
I feel like I am in a new dawn but I try to say nothing because of past experiences.. :)
the latttttttts !

5) MOST IMPORTANT, how do you get those pink and yellow TI caps?
Do you ship them to the big wide world or is it just a camp/cult thing? ;)
"wire" is the bungee on my goggles. SPL is 21 + about 2", but less than 21.5 Right arm never made contact but I did do a fraction of a second longer glide than on any other stroke.

Shinji is only 5" taller than me but his wingspan is the same as Terry's, or about 10" taller than my wingspan. SO that is one factor. Every swimmer is unique and every swimmer will have multiple combinations of speed/tempo/spl for different moods.

he is also swimming with more power, and I don't know what his intention was in filming this clip. Fastest rate at 12 SPL? Fastest speed across the water? increasing rate but decreasing SPL to reduce stress on shoulders? (doubtful...but that was part of my intention due to a flaky right shoulder from earlier in the week that I had worked on with some A.R.T. it was still quite tender in this pool session). I had also swim a total of about 50 yards prior to fliming this clip...seized the opportunity to have a good videographer.

Do you think I over-rotate on the right on every stroke or only teh breathing strokes ?

I don't twist my torso. My lumbar spine is to important for that.

In this clip I was not swimming for fastest speed or lowest DPS at this rate, i was swimming a comfortably fast rate.

yellow & pink caps are for paying clients only. ;)

I think I addressed most of your questions, thank you for your comments.
Coach of 5 time USA Triathlon Triathlete of the Year, Kirsten Sass
Steel City Endurance, LTD
Fresh Freestyle

Last edited by CoachSuzanne : 04-30-2013 at 12:21 AM.
Old 04-30-2013

swimust

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoachSuzanne View Post
"wire" is the bungee on my goggles. SPL is 21 + about 2", but less than 21.5 Right arm never made contact but I did do a fraction of a second longer glide than on any other stroke.

Shinji is only 5" taller than me but his wingspan is the same as Terry's, or about 10" taller than my wingspan. SO that is one factor. Every swimmer is unique and every swimmer will have multiple combinations of speed/tempo/spl for different moods.

he is also swimming with more power, and I don't know what his intention was in filming this clip. Fastest rate at 12 SPL? Fastest speed across the water? increasing rate but decreasing SPL to reduce stress on shoulders? (doubtful...but that was part of my intention due to a flaky right shoulder from earlier in the week that I had worked on with some A.R.T. it was still quite tender in this pool session). I had also swim a total of about 50 yards prior to fliming this clip...seized the opportunity to have a good videographer.

Do you think I over-rotate on the right on every stroke or only teh breathing strokes ?

In this clip I was not swimming for fastest speed or lowest DPS at this rate, i was swimming a comfortably fast rate.

yellow & pink caps are for paying clients only. ;)

I think I addressed most of your questions, thank you for your comments.
Thanks for the info. You breathe on your right side. Are you lefty? I am right handed and I feel better breathing on the left side.
Old 04-30-2013

swimust

@ CoachSuzanne

Hi again, you changed your reply so I have more things to say/ask.

Quote:
I don't try to have cheap shoots at you (I am not at your level as a swimmer or a coach), but me thinks its in every stroke because of the habit created by the breathing stroke. Its hard to change that habit when you do a full leg kick. Its a piece of cake to change when you "leg snap" like Shinji. In leg snap, The hip isn't connected with the upper body. When you "leg snap", just thinking about the over-rotation to the right will fix that easily.

Quote:
Do you mean that you roll "like a log" and you don't do any "inner" torso twists? I understand that, but if you mean to something else then please explain this line.

Thanks for any tip and advice :)
Old 04-30-2013

swimust

After 7 seconds, you stroke with your right arm and head in the water not breathing. In that stroke, your right leg spreads out (wide) and the kick creates over rotation. I am "sure" it happens because you need to breath on that side in other right hand strokes. No big deal, I am sure we all have bad habits of our own. Its a controlled, small over rotation anyway, its not a big over rotation.

Last edited by swimust : 04-30-2013 at 01:16 AM.
Old 04-30-2013

daveblt

I honestly can't see any over rotation , but I can "hear" your stroke just a bit. Looks real good .
Old 04-30-2013

swimust

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveblt View Post
I honestly can't see any over rotation , but I can "hear" your stroke just a bit. Looks real good .
the leg spreads out wide after 7 seconds and when she breaths but its controlled and its just a small over rotation. no big deal, I have a lot of work on my own swim. I am not trying to be a smart @..e, I am just saying what I think I see.

Last edited by swimust : 04-30-2013 at 01:22 AM.
Old 04-30-2013

swim2Bfree

It would be great to have an underwater perspective; that's where the most important stuff happens in swimming.

From above, it looks like you've been putting in some good work. Your stroke generally looks more fluid and refined than previous videos I've seen of you.

Bilateral breathing would be one area for improvement. A more streamlined push off the wall would be another, especially in a short-course setting.
Old 04-30-2013

rcrawf

Hi Suzanne, really nice, first I remember that you were working hard on your left (I think it was left) hand recovery and entry, it now looks great! Almost symmetrical with your right entry, doesn't look quite as relaxed, but damn close. Congrats.

Your right arm spear extension jumps out to me, looks spectacular, very straight, extended, streamlined and on perfect track, can't see the left spear that well.

I think I detect a little sympathic movement in your non kicking leg, not unlike Terry. But I don't think your non kicking leg is remaining perfectly still and just drafting within streamline. It would be easier to see from under water, but I have spent a lot of energy on quieting that pesky non kicking leg, as a focal point I can keep them still, but that extraneous movement creeps back in quite easily.

At first your elbows didn't look very high on recovery, but when I froze your recovery, it looked quite nice.

More power from your kick? I don't know your intent, just kick for indirect leverage and help with rotation, or direct propulsion or both.

Beautiful stroke, just take care of that shoulder, we count on your expertise for not only swimming but healing and injury prevention. Keep up all the great work.

Thanks for sharing, Rich

Last edited by rcrawf : 04-30-2013 at 02:10 AM.