Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > Freestyle
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-01-2013
Coach

CoachSuzanne

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoachDavidShen View Post
hey coach suzanne! some quick observations:

3. you are swimming with 6BK. i'd be curious to see what would happen with a 2BK. i cannot tell if you are generating the full potential of forward energy on each kick->spear. i am wondering what effect on drag or propulsion the 6BK is having on you.
It looks to me like I am doing 4 beats...3 on 1 side and 1 on the other. AGain something i had been doing at lower rates adn corrected.

Fascinating stuff!!! Thanks DAvid
Coach of 5 time USA Triathlon Triathlete of the Year, Kirsten Sass
Steel City Endurance, LTD
Fresh Freestyle

Old 08-01-2013

CharlesCouturier

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoachSuzanne View Post
Charles measured it at .96. I swam without a tempo trainer.
.92 would be more accurate (pretty much spot on .92)
Old 08-03-2013

andyinnorway

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoachSuzanne View Post
Thanks for the valuable analysis. I'll just comment that at faster rates I deliberately give up some Stroke length...were I to do what Shinji is doing in this photo, at this rate, my shoulders would be toast. But at lower rates, I think it looks quite different, or at least feels different.

Thanks Andy
I know exactly what you mean there.
Old 08-05-2013
Coach

CoachSuzanne

Really working on that left hand bracing...I can breath best only when swimming at a certain minimum speed to create a good bow wave..seems to be around 1:45/100m or 1:30/100yds. This was less of a problem even 6 months ago before losing about 15 lbs and I was more bouyant. While I've always appreciated i have an advantage over others in the linear balance department, I'm coming to appreciate your plight more and more.
Coach of 5 time USA Triathlon Triathlete of the Year, Kirsten Sass
Steel City Endurance, LTD
Fresh Freestyle

Old 08-05-2013
Coach

CoachToddE

Coach Suzanne asked me to add this to this forum post. I answered on FB as I don't have a lot of time between coaching Masters and lessons before and after to browse the Forums lately. Stuart in my ref is Stuart McDougal.
Agree with Stuart on head relaxed spine alignment good, hands entering and staying on wide track. Looked to be around .95 on the first length in approx 46 spl in 46 sec comes out to .95. Return 50, counted 55 in 53 sec. Tempo seem to pick up and math says .91. I noticed relaxed recovery on 1st 50. 2nd 50 tempo picked up. Noticed on underwater at 1:21 right arm nice spearing angle, left arm at surface drifting down to spearing angle. Also, noticed that you were initiating the pull sooner than the shoulder rotation which should be with the spearing of the opposite arm. EVL on right side better than left as you let left arm drift down during the breath and the EVL occurred later, further back, than the right. I also noticed at the very end on the front shot that the arms drift out away in the pull rather than straight back in the wide track that you speared on. This could be due to initiating the catch/pull a little too early at this tempo. Don't know if this is a working tempo or a fast tempo for you. Noticed the whipping of the left arm same a Stuart as well. Nice head position during breathing. Hope that helps.
Old 08-05-2013
coach

CoachStuartMcDougal

Hey Suzanne, just to add to Coach Todd's response. Excellent head-spine alignment, wide tracks, clean entry, lead hand not sliding off the rails at forward extension. Tempo looks a bit fast though at .9, recovery arm rushing causing elbow to flatten on recovery a bit and hand whips forward, especially on right side. I doubt if you are getting caught up in the must swim fast tempo to swim fast. Although I frequently like to swim at fast tempos to super charge my neural system, but come back to a (slower) tempo where I'm not feeling like I'm thrashing about. And where a tempo may have felt just a bit too fast, now feels comfortably fast and possibly able to sustain for 1500m

Happy Swimming!

Stuart
MindBodyAndSWIM