Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > Freestyle
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-08-2015

Rajan
Default Recovery

Can somebody please guide me that during recovery in dry land drill(As shown by Coach Davidshen in one of his videos) , I feel stretched at the side of my back before entry. But during swimming, I do not feel that kind of stretch at the side of my back. To feel that stretch, I have tried my best to remain of one track (before entry) before I switch to other side. But that stretch I lack that I feel during dry land drill.

What can be the reason for lacking that stretch ?

Regards

Rajan
Old 02-08-2015

s.sciame

Same here. I think the reason is that in dryland you are bent and form a 90 degrees angle between torso and legs, which stretches your lat more. From this stretched position, if you get your torso back to vertical (and keep the arm still in recovery position), the stretching feeling disappears.
Regards,
Salvo
Old 02-08-2015
Coach

CoachDavidShen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajan View Post
Can somebody please guide me that during recovery in dry land drill(As shown by Coach Davidshen in one of his videos) , I feel stretched at the side of my back before entry. But during swimming, I do not feel that kind of stretch at the side of my back. To feel that stretch, I have tried my best to remain of one track (before entry) before I switch to other side. But that stretch I lack that I feel during dry land drill.

What can be the reason for lacking that stretch ?

Regards

Rajan
Hey Rajan, you may feel the stretch if you are bending to the side when you bend over to do the drill. If you square up your hips and shoulders and only bend at the waist forward and not to either side, you may not feel the stretch any more. you should try to square up the hips and shoulders when you do this drill. otherwise your spine is not straight when you practice.

or when you swim, you may not be stretching your lats as much as you would when you drill. certainly i hope you are not bending your body to either side so much that you would feel the lats stretch in the same way.

or when you recover, you may not be bringing your elbow forward far enough to feel the stretch.

or your lats may be flexible enough to not feel stretch in either drill or during swimming. if your lats are tight, then you will feel them when you do the recovery swing forward.

why don't you look at these reasons and see which one applies? it's not a disaster if you do not feel a stretch on your side.
Old 02-17-2015

Rajan

Thanks coach DavidShen,

I think two reasons for this now:

1) Not taking the shoulder blade forward
2) Shrugging the shoulder.

And I think Not shrugging the shoulder will force me to take the shoulder blade forward and feel that type of stretch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoachDavidShen View Post
Hey Rajan, you may feel the stretch if you are bending to the side when you bend over to do the drill. If you square up your hips and shoulders and only bend at the waist forward and not to either side, you may not feel the stretch any more. you should try to square up the hips and shoulders when you do this drill. otherwise your spine is not straight when you practice.

or when you swim, you may not be stretching your lats as much as you would when you drill. certainly i hope you are not bending your body to either side so much that you would feel the lats stretch in the same way.

or when you recover, you may not be bringing your elbow forward far enough to feel the stretch.

or your lats may be flexible enough to not feel stretch in either drill or during swimming. if your lats are tight, then you will feel them when you do the recovery swing forward.

why don't you look at these reasons and see which one applies? it's not a disaster if you do not feel a stretch on your side.

Last edited by Rajan : 02-17-2015 at 03:44 PM.