Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > O2 in H20: Breathing Skills
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-14-2013

foxjohng
Default Need help on "bad-side" breathing

I've been working a lot on improving my bilateral breathing, but still have great difficulty breathing on my "bad side" without lifting my head.

The basic problem is that, on my left (bad) side my body is always a bit more submerged than on my right side. This means that, even when I am almost rotated straight up, only the tip of my nose comes out of the water unless I lift my head.

I have done endless drills, for months and months, in order to improve my weaker side, and they have indeed resulted in much better form on that side, and in a much greater feeling of being streamlined and in balance (so long as I don't lift my head, which I have to do in order to get air on that side). But the exercises have not resulted in my body riding higher in the water when on my weak side.

Any suggestions gratefully accepted!

Thanks,

John
Old 08-14-2013
coach

CoachStuartMcDougal

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxjohng View Post
I've been working a lot on improving my bilateral breathing, but still have great difficulty breathing on my "bad side" without lifting my head.
Hi John, This is very common. You are most likely reaching (spearing) narrow with recovery arm rather than wide when you breathe. Use focal "reach extra wide" like you are grabbing the lane rope, with recovery arm opposite breathing side. Recovery arm will land correctly and will make you stable and lift body 2+ inches. Also chin follow shoulder, get breath early.

Happy Swimming and easy Breathing!

Stuart
MindBodyANDSWIM
Old 08-14-2013

foxjohng
Default bad-side breathing

Thanks, Coach! That's good advice and I'll try it out immediately.

John
Old 11-07-2013

efdoucette

Hello John, just curious how you are getting along with Coach Stuart's advise. I have just started to work on bi-lateral breathing and as you were, I am submerged on my weak side. I will try the suggestions, but just wondering how it helped you or if you found some other drills / techniques that helped.
Thanks
Eric
Old 11-07-2013

foxjohng

Hi: thanks for the inquiry.

The coach's advice was immediately helpful. Widening my tracks did make me ride higher and with more stability in the water, which allowed me to breathe much better (though still not as well as on my good side).

Since then, I've been practicing a series of breathing focal points culled from Terry's posts and from 02 in H20 -- wide tracks, head alignment, natural breathing, focusing on exhale, and "breathing with the belly button" to aid rotation.

I've also recently started individual lessons with a TI instructor who has identified a couple of other problems affecting breathing -- excessive rotation leading to instability and hanging the head too low in the water.

Hope that helps!

John
Old 11-07-2013

efdoucette

Perfect, thanks and good luck!
Old 11-08-2013

Talvi

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoachStuartMcDougal View Post
... Use focal "reach extra wide" like you are grabbing the lane rope, with recovery arm opposite breathing side.
I know I do this but hadn't seen the connections so hadn't focused on it. It may just be the problem with my pull on that side (after the narrow spear) - I seem to "lift" my shoulder, and consequently my arm "slips" up through the water rather than pulling/pressing against it.

Quote:
... The coach's advice was immediately helpful. ...
... I've been practicing a series of breathing focal points
-- wide tracks, head alignment, natural breathing, focusing on exhale, and "breathing with the belly button" to aid rotation
....a TI instructor who has identified a couple of other problems affecting breathing -- excessive rotation leading to instability and hanging the head too low in the water.
"breathing with the belly button" is a great description (I've been saying solar-plexus) Can you say why it helps rotation?

Nice to hear what you say about "natural breathing" and exhaling too. There's so much to focus on sometimes "old" lessons get "lost".

I was going to comment re head position. It's something I've discovered recently too. My insight came from practising floating. There's something more in this though. Maybe like dynamically optimising the angle of attack of a spoiler. Shinji's head position is (generally/sometimes?) lower than Terry's for instance.

"The water is your friend.....you don't have to fight with water, just share the same spirit as the water, and it will help you move."
~ Aleksandr Popov
Old 11-08-2013

foxjohng

I got the "breathing with your belly-button" from 02 in H20, I think. The idea is that you imagine trying to get your navel rotated upward so that you could "breathe" through it. Of course, you don't actually rotate so far that your navel is above the water, but imagining that's what you're trying to do lets you rotate effortlessly far enough so that you can breathe (through your mouth!)
Old 11-08-2013

Talvi

Quote:
... The idea is that you imagine trying to get your navel rotated upward so that you could "breathe" through it. ...
Ahh, interesting. Nice idea. I'll give it a shot. Thanks :) My solar-plexus insight was a bit different.

"The water is your friend.....you don't have to fight with water, just share the same spirit as the water, and it will help you move."
~ Aleksandr Popov
Old 11-11-2013

nurledge

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoachStuartMcDougal View Post
Hi John, This is very common. You are most likely reaching (spearing) narrow with recovery arm rather than wide when you breathe. Use focal "reach extra wide" like you are grabbing the lane rope, with recovery arm opposite breathing side. Recovery arm will land correctly and will make you stable and lift body 2+ inches. Also chin follow shoulder, get breath early.

Happy Swimming and easy Breathing!

Stuart
MindBodyANDSWIM
Coach Stuart, does kicking or flutter also affects the ability to breath better. I found that my left kick is not good as the right kick. i.e. if i do skating with kicking only with the below leg while leaving the upper leg idle or paralyzed, i can go much further and speedier when kicking with right leg. It happens that I can breath much-much better on the left side and struggling on the other. I kind of suspicious if the flutter does impact on the breathing comfort.