Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > Breaststroke
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-25-2013

che9194
Default Breathing after breaststroke turn

I have started competing in Masters meets and am having issues breathing after my breaststroke turns. How do I hold my breath long enough to perform a proper turn?

Here is what I know I am supposed to do after the push off:
As I begin to slow down, my hands come apart from the streamlined position and do what is essentially an underwater butterfly stroke. I try to be explosive and concentrate on accelerating until my hands are at my thighs. I try to keep my head still and look directly toward the bottom of the pool to minimize turbulence. **After a brief pause, I "creep" my hands up my body, paying special attention to cause as little resistance as possible. I begin the recovery of the kick while my arms slip past my torso. As my hands pass my head and extend in front of me, I kick my legs, tilt my head forward, and powerfully pop up to the surface to begin my first stroke.

And here is what I actually do (fast forwarding into the previous scenario a little bit**):
My hands are by my thighs, and my lungs are absolutely scorching from oxygen debt. Every instinct is telling me to get to the surface and take a breath. So while keeping my hands by my hips, I do a whip kick to propel my face to the surface to take a big breath. I then lunge my hands forward with a simultaneous whip kick, and then begin the regular breaststroke.

I raced in the 200 IM, 400 IM, and 200 breast and this particularly noticeable during the IM events when the butterfly leg puts me into oxygen debt.

Also, my splits are fairly consistent, so itís not like I am going out too fast.

Any advice?