Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > Freestyle
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-08-2011

swimust
Default a Shinji newbie reporting a major breakthrough

ok, i had a billion false major breakthroughs in the last 18 months when i was learning the Shinji style just from youtube and from his comments (many thanks).
But, this time its 1000% real and makes full sense.

Shinji says in his "underwater snap" clip:
"Acceleration phase: Move your elbow forward instantly."

Ok, no problem I will do that... I am doing that for 18 months and today it struck me... I was never really doing that properly. I was "making a gesture" with the elbow twisting it "a bit" forward, but I never really moved the whole elbow as much as needed!
This is a HUGE difference in the whole hand position and behaviour during the pull. My whole acceleration phase was wrong just because of that.
Today at the pool I started to properly move the elbow, then I got a totally different forearm position and the shoulder and upper arm were working in a new way.
I always pulled with a vertical forearm until now! Thats shock and horror to find out how wrong it was. That was my (crazy) interpretation to "move your hand backwords and not downwards".
Shinji NEVER keeps the forearm vertical after the other hand elbow is submerged.
I feel like I am a new swimmer now. The recovery is now a "piece of cake" after all what I went through. My shoulders are thanking me so much..

Thats it. That small line in the clip that says "move your elbow forward" was my wall but I think that I broke through that wall at last. Happy days and lots of pools await..

If you want my advice to learners from the clips (poor us cant get a frontal coaching) then this is it:
take your learning very seriously and be focused. Dont think that you know it even when you are sure that you are correct in one aspect or the other. You maybe wrong. Just keep on practicing and never give up. be dedicated and the rest will follow.
You will be wrong many times. Thats normal, but you learn from each mistake.

Last edited by swimust : 08-08-2011 at 10:12 AM.
Old 08-08-2011

westyswoods
Default Move Elbow Forward????

Swimsuit,

What am I missing in your explanation? I don't get the move elbow forward you write of.

Any further explanation will be much appreciated?

Swim Silent and Be Well
Westy
Old 08-08-2011

bx

I concur with Westy. Seen that video "Underwater Finish for Faster Freestyle":
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DmTkE..._order&list=UL
several times before, and never really understood any of it. Is the crux of it to allow the flow of water at the end of the pull phase to bounce your relaxed palm forwards so you get a little head-start in the recovery?

Last edited by bx : 08-08-2011 at 05:06 PM.
Old 08-08-2011

pennypotpie
Default analogy

I think the thing that I notice most when I watch shinji swim is that it looks like he is cross country skiing. When you cross country ski, you push and glide and just when your momentum is getting lost you shift your weight to the other side and push and glide again, rocking back and forth in a slow rythmic motion. You cannot push really hard in cross country skiing because your ski wax will not hold and your ski will go backwards. So, you just have to use finesse and find just the right amount of push to optimize the push and glide momentum. That seems just like what is happening in full immersion swimming- a rythmic rocking and gliding. Just an analogy that helps keep me from churning and trying to muscle my way forward.
Old 08-09-2011

swimust

ok, I am not going into your interpretations one by one becasue I was mad enough until I understood the elbow effect myself and it happend only yesterday... I am not blaming or laughing at any of you. I was just the same, and I still have things to learn, maybe even many things.. BUT..
the idea is to move the forearm and upper arm sideways(!!) after the other elbow is submerged. It took me only 18 months to pay attention to this motion, you can just read it here and try it..
watch the video and any video closely, front camera angle is the best, see what Shinji is doing when the other elbow is in the water.
By moving the elbow forward, Shinji does not engage the upper arm to do the lateral movement of the hand(before pulling). The elbow move does it for him. Amazing stuff and all Japan coaches know that from frontal lessons. I could have swam months ago if I got frontal lessons. They would have noticed my very wrong snap quickly.
Better late than never...

Last edited by swimust : 08-09-2011 at 10:29 AM.
Old 08-09-2011

swimust

Quote:
Originally Posted by westyswoods View Post
Swimsuit,

What am I missing in your explanation? I don't get the move elbow forward you write of.

Any further explanation will be much appreciated?

Swim Silent and Be Well
Westy
the "move elbow forward" motion happens immediately after the other hand elbow was submerged in the water. Its the start of the acceleration phase.
Compared to my previous attempts I am pulling now in another dimention using other muscles and a different hand position.
It effected the whole pull phase, a total change of the way I use the hand during the pull stage.
I am sure that I still have a lot to learn but I am on the right way now.