Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > O2 in H20: Breathing Skills
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-19-2011

dlaflamme
Default Lead hand not patient enough....

This forum has been most helpful. I know one of my issues is that I am not keeping my lead hand extended long enough when I breathe. I initiate my beathing when the lead hand spears the water and my mouth "follows" the other shoulder, but for the life of me, I can't keep the lead arm extended as long as the videos demonstate. Any tips for this specific issue would be much appreciated.
Old 07-19-2011

borate

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlaflamme View Post
I initiate my breathing when the lead hand spears the water and my mouth "follows" the other shoulder, but for the life of me, I can't keep the lead arm extended as long as the videos demonstrate.
This is usually a balance issue. Drills or full stroke? The patient hand is intentionally emphasized in some drills.
In normal swimming, 3/4 catch-up timing is often seen. The recovering hand enters shortly after the lead hand begins its pull.

Here's an example: a relatively leisurely pace, smooth, effortless, splash-free entry. While Keri-Anne's stroke may not ape "pure" TI, I'd be very satisfied to have it.

Last edited by borate : 07-19-2011 at 03:08 AM.
Old 07-22-2011

solothesailor

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlaflamme View Post
......I am not keeping my lead hand extended long enough when I breathe....
I had the same issue until fixed this way:
1) Recognise that it's a habit to break, like a reflex. Can't easily fix the reflex, better to remove the feeling (eg of panic) that caused the reflex.
2) Watch video repeatedly of Terry doing drills -skate and breath, to really know that it's ok to pause there. Feel reassured.
3) Do swap-hand drill ie keep the lead hand there till the other touches it.
4) Could do 2-pause switch as per Easy Freestyle. Tell self it's ok to be slow about it.
5) Recognise any tendency to 'sit up to breath'. Do more balance drills to remain balanced when roll to breath.
6) Watch Terry in easy Freestyle doing wholestroke when he said/showed his lead hand's still there when he's finished breathing. Imitate him. Rest lead hand safely there till face starts to turn back. Imitate. Imitate. Imitate. Pretend you were Terry demonstrating and being cool about it.

Hope that helps. Cheers