Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > Freestyle
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-30-2016
neerzis

Default Improve speed and lower SPL

Hi,
I have completed the TI course several months ago and it certainly has changed the way that I swim (I didn't actually swim all the much prior).
Since, I have participated in a Triathlon and at an open water swim event of 3miles.
I am at the point where I want to increase my speed.
Currently I swim 1KM at 23min, and my goal is to reach the 20min mark.
I use a Tempo Trainer, started out at 1.4 and now am comfortable at 1.2 (stroke every second point 2) - and in these stroke rates I have a SPL of 23 (25m pool).
I realize that what I need to do is go back to the "basics" and first lower my SPL to 18 (I'm 6' so the range is 16-20), and once achieved that SPL - start to increase rate with TT again.

Was wondering on best drill to do this, and tips on how to best decrease SPL in terms of form - what are the the 5 most important things that I need to pay attention to in the pool :)
Thanks!
Old 10-31-2016

Streak

Welcome to the forum.
Well done on the triathlon and 3 mile open water swim.
Two things I have not done but keep on talking about doing!!

No doubt the experts will chime in here with specific advice.
The obvious thing is to increase the distance you are achieving per stroke which will result in fewer strokes per length. Without any video it's hard to say where the problems could be (streamline, balance etc.).

Here is an excellent article by Terry about how a TT can help

http://www.totalimmersion.net/blog/learn-perfect-pace/

Also, this video by Coach Stuart McDougal pretty much covers most of the issues and really helped me improve such that I can now do a mile in the pool in under 30 minutes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jA-IsUxvX8U

My warm up SPL is about 13-14 and when I increase the pace I do 15-17. My struggle now is to find the right amount of force to apply to stay at a higher pace for longer without getting tired.

Best of luck in your quest.
Old 10-31-2016
neerzis

Hi Streak,
Thank you for your reply and the great links - much appreciated!
The article by Terry (as most of them are) is terrific, and I haven't read this one - so thanks for sending over.

Going to the pool today, I focused on SPL with TT@1.4
I was able to maintain a SPL of 17 (resting for a few seconds between 25m laps) and I was encouraged by that (previously I was going at SPL=24, TT=1.2) and so even with this quick feasibility test, per 25m lap - my "speed" has improved by 3.6 seconds! :)

I will keep on going and reducing my TT times (would like to go back down to 1.2) with the goal of keeping to an SPL of 18.

Any other pointers would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks again.
Old 10-31-2016

Streak

Great improvement already.
I think that the general consensus is to slowly increase the tempo using the TT trying to maintain your SPL as the tempo increases.

Speed will follow, don't make it the primary goal.

Here is another good resource

http://www.totalimmersion.net/store/...l#.WBdcW_grKUk
Old 11-01-2016
coach

CoachStuartMcDougal

Hi Joel, Neerziz

All good advice and input. But it is ok and encourage swimmers to move out of the tempo comforzone hitting fast tempos well beyond the swimmers skill set. Often I have swimmers swim down to .8 tempo (i.e. 1.1, 1.0, .9, .8 ,..) and then come back up with greater frequency (.9, .95, 1.0, 1.05, ...). This triggers neural adaptations such that where a swimmer feels 1.1, 1.0 is too fast, coming back up the scale (after dropping down quick), the faster tempo may begin feel sustainable or more comfortable. In any case, feel free to experiment (faster and slower tempos) even if it causes you to briefly go outside of 'green zone'.

Here's a spreadsheet to download where you can calc your speed based on tempo and stroke length. Inputs are height, spl, tempo, actual yards stroked per length (i.e. 25y pool, 5y glide off wall = 20 yards stroked): Pace_Tempo_Green-zone

Stuart
Old 11-01-2016

WFEGb

Hello,

you'll also find some very fine details in Mat's blog-series about

Speed

Stamina

Training values

and Deliberate Praxis

Happy Haloween and best regards,
Werner
Old 11-02-2016
neerzis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Streak View Post
Great improvement already.
I think that the general consensus is to slowly increase the tempo using the TT trying to maintain your SPL as the tempo increases.

Speed will follow, don't make it the primary goal.

Here is another good resource

http://www.totalimmersion.net/store/...l#.WBdcW_grKUk

Thanks for the link Streak - but it seems like I get redirected to the "shopping cart" and even though the item is for free, I can't download it.
Old 11-02-2016
neerzis

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoachStuartMcDougal View Post
Hi Joel, Neerziz

All good advice and input. But it is ok and encourage swimmers to move out of the tempo comforzone hitting fast tempos well beyond the swimmers skill set. Often I have swimmers swim down to .8 tempo (i.e. 1.1, 1.0, .9, .8 ,..) and then come back up with greater frequency (.9, .95, 1.0, 1.05, ...). This triggers neural adaptations such that where a swimmer feels 1.1, 1.0 is too fast, coming back up the scale (after dropping down quick), the faster tempo may begin feel sustainable or more comfortable. In any case, feel free to experiment (faster and slower tempos) even if it causes you to briefly go outside of 'green zone'.

Here's a spreadsheet to download where you can calc your speed based on tempo and stroke length. Inputs are height, spl, tempo, actual yards stroked per length (i.e. 25y pool, 5y glide off wall = 20 yards stroked): Pace_Tempo_Green-zone

Stuart
Thanks for sending the spreadsheet - I love the fact that you can calculate the expected pace/speed!
Will give bumping up the pace a try :)
Old 11-02-2016
neerzis

Quote:
Originally Posted by WFEGb View Post
Hello,

you'll also find some very fine details in Mat's blog-series about

Speed

Stamina

Training values

and Deliberate Praxis

Happy Haloween and best regards,
Werner

These are excellent articles!
I going through them nice and slow to make the most of them (can see myself going back to re-read soon).
Old 11-02-2016
coach

CoachStuartMcDougal

Quote:
Originally Posted by neerzis View Post
Thanks for sending the spreadsheet - I love the fact that you can calculate the expected pace/speed!
Will give bumping up the pace a try :)
You're welcome. The spreadsheet gives you an idea of some choices that may (or will) be attainable. But don't get caught in the trap of increasing turnover (faster tempo) is the only path or choice to go faster.

Increasing stroke length is the fastest way to speed. For example 18 spl (sl = 1.11y) @ .87 tempo = 1:18.13 100y pace. Alternatively 15 spl (sl = 1.33y) @ 1.02 tempo = 1:16.34 100y pace. In this example, slower turnover, increased sl = faster speed. Which choice is less effort and/or more sustainable? This is where height and skill set are factors.

Here's another article that may help you find your best spl, tempo and sustainable speed given your height, skill and distance you are swimming: High Turnover vs the Right Turnover

Enjoy!

Stuart