Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > Freestyle
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-14-2013

azamy
Default New Video for Analysis

Hola again

Here's the link to the latest video we shot. The 1 min clip contains shots from the front, side and under water. I know the coaches and the experienced swimmers have hawk eyes when it comes to stroke analysis so I will await your feedback.

The video quality is not that good due to poor lighting in this only indoor swimming pool that can be used in this season of the year + it is a very small one as well. When uploaded youtube also compresses the video to some extent.

Anyway here's the link: http://youtu.be/gXNpZTglmQc In the youtube player under change quality button you can select 720p HD quality.

P.S. Since sharing the passion is one of my resolutions for this year I help a few others ;)

Last edited by azamy : 01-14-2013 at 10:22 AM. Reason: More info for video quality
Old 01-17-2013

JoeCM

Hello Azamy,

As a relatively new swimmer, the only advice that I could offer is and observational difference spotted when comparing your stroke to that of Terry's or Shinji's. I believe it is in these details that we can find our opportunities to improve. At first blush and again, from a new TI swimmer's perspective, your stroke looks balanced, relaxed, you are streamlined and you have a solid 2 beat kick going. Your breathing looks well integrated and I could definitely learn a thing or two from your execution. As for differences, here's what I spotted - coincidentally, it's what I'm working on right now so this was more obvious to me:

1. From the underwater view @ 39 secs while skating left, it looks like your left arm is not dropping into catch position. Instead it looks to be moving right into the pull phase. I'd imagine you are losing efficiency here since your arm is pulling quickly straight from skate position without yet establishing a good handle on the water. If you watch Terry below, @ 2:32 secs, his left arm begins moving into catch phase an instant before his right hand enters the water.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hC8ZZZhabp4

Same timing w/Shinji @ 59 secs:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rJpFVvho0o4

Last edited by JoeCM : 01-17-2013 at 05:34 AM.
Old 01-17-2013

andyinnorway

Hi,

you didn't add your own critique to the video, perhaps you should do that first before we throw in some observations?
Old 01-18-2013

tomoy

Okay, I'll be the fool to rush in! First off - beautiful.

Details: kick looks strong, maybe overly so? Hands are moving quickly. You're snapping with great timing, but maybe slipping at that velocity. I think the anchor and moving past it metaphor will help you 'grip' more water.

Otherwise a very nice balanced, straight stroke. Kudos.
Old 01-19-2013

azamy

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyinnorway View Post
Hi,

you didn't add your own critique to the video, perhaps you should do that first before we throw in some observations?
Hello Andy,

I am sure you read the thread "bent knee & longer left arm", before posting the video I mentioned that I noticed a bent knee and that was an issue of concern for me. CoachToby then suggested to upload a video and this was in response to CoachToby's suggestion.

My own observations are:

1. I need to streamline better than this, pay more attention to the side-to-side balance. I don't know if I am over rotating???
2. Softer mail slot entry as I can see bubbles with each hand's entry.
3. I need to make the kick a little more gentle (before the video I was thinking that it is a gentle kick but not really)
4. I am looking forward instead of looking down, this habit formed after collisions in the pool where other people would swim in any direction so in order to avoid collisions I look forward. I have to get rid of this bad habit.

For the bent knee what I missed to note was the stroke rate in this video, Charles pointed that out, the bent knee could possibly be due to the slow stroke rate. I haven't had the chance to visit the pool since then, in the next session I will see how things go.

Let me know what I missed :)
Old 01-19-2013

andyinnorway

Hi,

not sure what your SPL at this effort is in a 25m pool but anyway.

I think you do the same as me and that is your pull stays pretty wide. The hand and arm are outside the shoulders.

When I watch the elite guys, the power is going in a straight line through the belly button.

Most of it is there though, just 40 years of fine tuning now like us all.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screen Shot 2013-01-19 at 12.03.08.jpg (6.3 KB, 21 views)
Old 01-19-2013

CoachToby

Your stroke looks pretty good! I particularly like your recovery. These are the things I think you need to focus on:

1. Rotate a little less on the right rail
2. Anchor the spearing arm before you stroke
3. Practise bilateral breathing (if you don't already)
4. Make your kick feel much smaller - just a flick is all it takes (the timing looks good)
5. Work on your flip turns

Keep up the good work.
Old 01-19-2013

CoachToby

I've attempted to attach a pic showing a better position for the anchoring arm prior to stroking. This modified position can have several beneficial effects: reduce strain on the shoulder joint by engauging larger back muscles; improve your ability to hold onto your place in the water; help you maintain a more balanced position; and save energy.

I hope this helps
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (85.3 KB, 42 views)
Old 01-20-2013

azamy

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoachToby View Post
Your stroke looks pretty good! I particularly like your recovery. These are the things I think you need to focus on:

1. Rotate a little less on the right rail
2. Anchor the spearing arm before you stroke
3. Practise bilateral breathing (if you don't already)
4. Make your kick feel much smaller - just a flick is all it takes (the timing looks good)
5. Work on your flip turns

Keep up the good work.
Thank you Coach Toby,

Both of your responses are very helpful specially the picture with the position for anchoring arm. I really hope to attend a TI workshop someday, the feedback we receive in these forums is really invaluable. I imagine how it would be with a TI coach one-on-one.

Thanks again