Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > Freestyle
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-07-2018
Mushroomfloat

[quote=Danny;66241]
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoachJamesEwart View Post

James, if you mean that you should not introduce a Bob into your stroke for the purposes of facilitating breathing, then I agree with you totally.

I think the one armed drill is useful in the same way that skating is useful. Both drills remove the use of arms and hands to cover up stroke problems. The idea is that you should correct your problems rather than cover them up. So what does the one armed drill offer that skating does not? For me, a lot of problems can arise in the catch and anchor that may throw off my balance and torque me in a direction that I shouldn't be going in. Skating doesn't practice catch and anchor, but the one armed drill does, and without the extended hand on the other side, I get to see some of the problems I might otherwise not notice. Your objection that the catch and anchor should be a whole body movement, which is hindered in the one-armed drill also does not seem to hold to me. The part of the recovery that influences your catch and anchor is done with your recovering shoulder and torso, and there is nothing in the one-armed drill to stop you from practicing the high side recovery motion with your shoulder. In fact, placing more emphasis on shoulder recovery gives a useful perspective to me when I do it.

No drill is the same as full stroke, and all drills can be criticized for this. A drill emphasizes certain aspects of full stroke and neglects other aspects. Sometimes this emphasis can be useful, but it depends on what problems you are dealing with.

As far as bobbing is concerned, as I said above, it is a bad idea to introduce bobbing into your stroke to facilitate breathing. That said, the one armed drill does make you aware of what impact the recovering arm has on your body position in water. As a matter of principle, I find it helpful to be aware of such things. In full stroke, the bobbing is greatly reduced because of the extended arm. It is also impacted by the timing and nature of the kick. So there are a lot of choices here about what to do with this effect. But the effect is there and being aware of it is (in my opinion) a good thing. Breathing technique is an area that probably deserves its own thread (or even forum), but I will only observe that I see vast differences in the breathing technique (for example) of Terry and Shinji. I think a lot of these differences are due to differences in body type and flexibility. That is where each of us has to find their own right choices. Being aware of the weight of the recovering arm and its impact on breathing is (again in my opinion) something that is useful. what you do with this knowledge is up to you.
i think he means not having the other arm recovering

see for me both arms work together through the shoulders
the lowside arm is anchoring with shoulder dropping whilst the high side arm shoulder is elevating

thats where the connection is

its called float & paddle
Old 08-07-2018
Mushroomfloat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zenturtle View Post
for Coach Stuart

Re: Single arm fly. It’s not about rotation, it’s about releasing the arm away from body with relaxed shoulder and slicing in naturally while still holding your edge. Simple, precise and effective. You’ll never see the body sink since the weight and momentum of the swinging arm is rebalancing the vessel and pulling the body forward *without* the impulse to pull from low side

You’ll never see the body sink since the weight and momentum of the swinging arm is rebalancing the vessel and pulling the body forward

Maybe you dont need many words, but can somebody explain what is meant here?
How is the weight of the recovering arm pulling the body forward?
And where exactly does that forward pulling starts and stops?
Single arm fly where the body doesnt sink?
Do you have an example video from that drill?

You seem to assume I have some connection with swimsmooth?
I have not a single connection to any swimschool. I am not a coach. I am just someone who is interested in swimming.
I dont sell books. I dont have a single swimstyle bias. Contrary to TI or swimsmooth coaches, who are biased to one style or the other. Work in R&D as a mechanical engineer, in the Netherlands.
"Surfing the recovery weight" i think he means
Old 08-07-2018

Zenturtle

If TI finds managing the weight of the recovering arm so important, than I am curious what the TI opinion is about the `weight on catch` idea.

There is an interestng thread about that very subject close by wink wink .-)
Old 08-07-2018

Zenturtle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mushroomfloat View Post
well.. could be the case.... Let the coach speak for himself
Old 08-07-2018
Mushroomfloat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mushroomfloat View Post
& both arms out over the front a'la shelly ripple style

feathering out and returning to the front to keep the weight forward not dropping back

arms as balancing tools first (richard quick)

also pulls the hip along with it as high side arm nears shoulder level

this all requires a semi straight arm recovery like butterfly with a butterfly like exit at 5 & 7 pm
Old 08-07-2018
Mushroomfloat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zenturtle View Post
well.. could be the case.... Let the coach speak for himself
Ooops sorry dude.
Old 08-07-2018
Mushroomfloat

[quote=Mushroomfloat;66242]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny View Post

i think he means not having the other arm recovering

see for me both arms work together through the shoulders
the lowside arm is anchoring with shoulder dropping whilst the high side arm shoulder is elevating

thats where the connection is

its called float & paddle
Having said that i have seen single arm drill done with elevating the shoulder of the non working arm in a kind of shrug to give the same result as if the high side arm was present
Old 08-07-2018

CoachJamesEwart

You understand of course that the "pull" will create bounce poorly executed through driving arm frowards incorrectly?
Old 08-07-2018

CoachJamesEwart

[quote=Zenturtle;66235]We exert pressure to drive forwards
where do we exert pressure?

Pull too soon
when is it too soon? Lets say you still use front quadrant timing. Is it too soon if you are still at the edge of front quadrant timing?

What do you mean by "at the edge of"? You are an engneer, you understand coupling motions? Front Quadrant means what? What is the purpose of "Front Quadrant"? Do you know? What does it achieve and how? Let's try and explore and understand these terms.
We are seeking to remain as streamlined as possible between the strokes whiuls creating coupling motuoins through combing catch, wieght shift and kick (whether 2 beat, 4 beat or 6 beat)
Old 08-07-2018
Mushroomfloat

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoachJamesEwart View Post
You understand of course that the "pull" will create bounce poorly executed through driving arm frowards incorrectly?
Yeah by having no weight on it from the absent high side arm?

(Some elevate the highside shoulder to put weight on the low side arm as it anchors