Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > Freestyle
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-12-2016

Zenturtle

I thought it was slowmo paddle swimming focusing on one arm at a time.

My total swim distance with paddles is 200 m in a timespan of 3 years, so not an experienced user.
Paddles can help make you aware of the big arm movements and hand entry. Its very personal if its helping or ruining a movement pattern,
See so many people using them on a dropped elbow trying to keep the paddle facing backwards with a very bend wrist.
The guy is doing a decent job with his right arm compared to that.
Personally I like the one paddle or one fin usage more. Paddles can be such a sensory overload that the rest of the body signals are overruled by the hand signals.
With one paddle and/or fin its easier to really focus on one arm and it activates more arm to leg connection.

there is almost zero normal stroke left in this guys swim. Its only a pull. The same effect (ingraining high elbow muscle memory) can almost be achieved with dryland stretch band work.
So he cant use his left arm like he wants you say?

Last edited by Zenturtle : 04-12-2016 at 06:02 PM.
Old 04-12-2016
Coach

CoachSuzanne

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zenturtle View Post
I thought it was slowmo paddle swimming focusing on one arm at a time.

there is almost zero normal stroke left in this guys swim. Its only a pull. The same effect (ingraining high elbow muscle memory) can almost be achieved with dryland stretch band work.
So he cant use his left arm like he wants you say?
Yes, it's a drill. like that kickboard drill you linked to in the goswim video. the left arm is not behaving the same way as the right...he's got a lack of body awarness for sure. The right arm "follows directions" but he can't feel very well.

however once the temptation to pull during the catch motion is gone, the paddles, like that kcikboard drill, can help with the sensation of anchoring and moving forward.
Coach of 5 time USA Triathlon Triathlete of the Year, Kirsten Sass
Steel City Endurance, LTD
Fresh Freestyle

Old 04-13-2016

sclim

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoachSuzanne View Post
Yes, it's a drill. like that kickboard drill you linked to in the goswim video. the left arm is not behaving the same way as the right...he's got a lack of body awarness for sure. The right arm "follows directions" but he can't feel very well.

however once the temptation to pull during the catch motion is gone, the paddles, like that kcikboard drill, can help with the sensation of anchoring and moving forward.
I'm missing something here. The drill is to not pull until the forearm is vertical. How does the paddle help this sensation, or clarify the movement in any way?
Old 04-13-2016

Zenturtle

I think I would focus mainly on the left arm and see how far this side can be improved.
Its going to be a very lumpy stroke with this imbalance.
Sticking some surface only on the forearm is probably the best way to prevent dropping elbows
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OpieKUL6d1E
Sort of this paddle only on the left arm until it gets better and stronger?
Together with dryland stretch band work.

@ Sclim
The paddle magnifies the pressure on the arm. If your sensors a bit unsensitive you get more feedback with a big paddle and can adjust to this greater feedback.
If the paddle is vertical it offers much resistance, so gives the feel of anchoring the arm in the water.
It also gives much resitance with a straight arm circular pull, so its not an idiot proof toy.

Last edited by Zenturtle : 04-13-2016 at 07:16 AM.
Old 04-13-2016
Coach

CoachSuzanne

Quote:
Originally Posted by sclim View Post
I'm missing something here. The drill is to not pull until the forearm is vertical. How does the paddle help this sensation, or clarify the movement in any way?
it does not clarify the two parts you mentioned.

THis swimmer had been working with me for a year and switched coaches. She started adding paddles, fins, kickboards to his swimming and he regressed. I wanted to see what he looked like swimming with the paddles to see if the use of them was contributing to his form deterioration and indeed it was.

This was a drill to help him feel what the stroke breakdown should feel like...that wearing the paddles was not an excuse to stroke early or press down.

So it doesn't clarify it, but it magnifies the "bad" forces so that he's more aware of bad paddle use vs good paddle use.
Coach of 5 time USA Triathlon Triathlete of the Year, Kirsten Sass
Steel City Endurance, LTD
Fresh Freestyle

Old 04-14-2016

sclim

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoachSuzanne View Post
it does not clarify the two parts you mentioned.

THis swimmer had been working with me for a year and switched coaches. She started adding paddles, fins, kickboards to his swimming and he regressed. I wanted to see what he looked like swimming with the paddles to see if the use of them was contributing to his form deterioration and indeed it was.

This was a drill to help him feel what the stroke breakdown should feel like...that wearing the paddles was not an excuse to stroke early or press down.

So it doesn't clarify it, but it magnifies the "bad" forces so that he's more aware of bad paddle use vs good paddle use.
OK, that makes sense now, thanks