Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > Swimming In Triathlon
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-22-2009

Judymac
Default Wetsuit help!

Ok, I managed my first few Sprints in a Trisuit, and have now changed over to TI crawl/freestyle, which I love BTW. I want to do longer Triathlons next year, and have about done losing weight, are there any wetsuits that are particularly TI friendly or endorsed?

I have noted many spouting virtual pull buoy technology and I was under the impression that I should stay away from those? I was thinking Blue Seventy or 2XU (though 2XU has Rollbar tech)

I am neutrally buoyant, so I do sink a bit naturally when not using my feet, so a bit of wetsuit buoyancy would be good.

Fellow triathletes/openwater swimmers please help!
Old 11-22-2009

pennyarm
Cool Wetsuit

I did my tris in a tri suit as well and sometimes a ridiculous shortie surfing thing. Then I finally go a real wetsuit and everything I learned at TI melded nicely with the suit. Mine is an Xterra Vortex which was is on sale. You will not believe the sweet feeling of swimming TI in a wetsuit.

BTW, anyone going to Maho for the Open Water Clinic?
Old 11-22-2009

naj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judymac View Post
Ok, I managed my first few Sprints in a Trisuit, and have now changed over to TI crawl/freestyle, which I love BTW. I want to do longer Triathlons next year, and have about done losing weight, are there any wetsuits that are particularly TI friendly or endorsed?

I have noted many spouting virtual pull buoy technology and I was under the impression that I should stay away from those? I was thinking Blue Seventy or 2XU (though 2XU has Rollbar tech)

I am neutrally buoyant, so I do sink a bit naturally when not using my feet, so a bit of wetsuit buoyancy would be good.

Personally, I swim nekid (i.e. just a bathing suit in ow). But, since your racing and a wetsuit makes you faster don't go my route. No one wetsuit is going to be right for everybody. You need to go to places that sell swimming wetsuits and try them on. See if they have rentals of the brand you might be interested in and see how your stroke feels in it. A few that you can look at ar Blue Seventy, Orca, and Body Glove. There are others but that should keep you busy for awhile. I in no way endorse any of these products. But trying on different ones is a wise thing to do.
Old 12-22-2009

Manofword

OK, it's the newbie "problem child" again.....I just used a wet suit for the first time in the pool to see what it would be like and.......DISASTER! At least it seemed like it. I bought a Blue Seventy size S and I am on the lower end of the size spec. I'm 5'-5", 145lb and the spec size goes from 5'-4" to 5'-9" and 141-165lbs. Well, buoyancy is absolutely great! No problem with balance now. However, my heart rate jumped by 10bpm just wearing it and also swimming as well. I could not believe how tight it made my chest feel. I felt like I couldn't get a full breath. Slipping through the water was great but I felt like I was always struggling even WITH a finis snorkel. Spearing was a little more difficult and for the first time ever trying TI my shoulders are a little sore from the extra resistance from the suit I assume. I have never gotten sore before even after 90 laps.

I guess I just started to freak out thinking about 2.4 mi and actually got really discouraged. I assume it is something that I just have to get used to and will?

My entire Sept. 12th Ironman (140.6) rests upon my ability to pull the swim off. I knew it was going to be my most difficult challenge so I'm not about to quit but it IS a big chunk to bite off!

Last edited by Manofword : 12-22-2009 at 01:45 PM.
Old 12-23-2009

Rhoda

I'm told by people who use wetsuits on a regular basis, that they do loosen up a bit after you've worn them a few times. It might be necessary to do a few more swims in them to get used to it.
They aren't something most people can simply put on and go swimming in, as I observed on my first Swimtrek tour. One gal abandoned hers on the very first swim, she hated it so much.
September 12 is still a long ways off. You've probably got time to get used to it and loosen it up a bit.
Old 12-23-2009

naj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manofword View Post
OK, it's the newbie "problem child" again.....I just used a wet suit for the first time in the pool to see what it would be like and.......DISASTER! At least it seemed like it. I bought a Blue Seventy size S and I am on the lower end of the size spec. I'm 5'-5", 145lb and the spec size goes from 5'-4" to 5'-9" and 141-165lbs. Well, buoyancy is absolutely great! No problem with balance now. However, my heart rate jumped by 10bpm just wearing it and also swimming as well. I could not believe how tight it made my chest feel. I felt like I couldn't get a full breath. Slipping through the water was great but I felt like I was always struggling even WITH a finis snorkel. Spearing was a little more difficult and for the first time ever trying TI my shoulders are a little sore from the extra resistance from the suit I assume. I have never gotten sore before even after 90 laps.

I guess I just started to freak out thinking about 2.4 mi and actually got really discouraged. I assume it is something that I just have to get used to and will?

My entire Sept. 12th Ironman (140.6) rests upon my ability to pull the swim off. I knew it was going to be my most difficult challenge so I'm not about to quit but it IS a big chunk to bite off!
I hate to sound sarcastic but its suppose to fit snug, how else can you keep most water out? If you are experiencing a restriction to swimming via your arms you might want to look into a suit that is sleeveless. It's my guess that the water you'll be swimming in will be somewhere in the area of 65-70F and in a sleeveless suit you shouldn't have any problems with the cold.

Rhoda is right, September is a long way off and you have plenty of time to adjust to the suit if you go that route. I still say go with out it. To my knowledge, the race is not one during the swim. By the way, where is this Ironman taking place?
Old 01-07-2010

Jona57

I'm new to wetsuits also, but agree that they do loosen up over time. Do swims in the suit & it tends to conform to your body. And you get more used to the feeling of being in the suit. I got an Xterra last year & biggest problem for me was sighting. The buoyancy in the legs helped my normally poor stroke a lot, though I almost felt my head was being held down during my 'sighting breaths'.
Old 01-07-2010

Manofword

Quote:
Originally Posted by naj View Post
I hate to sound sarcastic but its suppose to fit snug, how else can you keep most water out? If you are experiencing a restriction to swimming via your arms you might want to look into a suit that is sleeveless. It's my guess that the water you'll be swimming in will be somewhere in the area of 65-70F and in a sleeveless suit you shouldn't have any problems with the cold.

Rhoda is right, September is a long way off and you have plenty of time to adjust to the suit if you go that route. I still say go with out it. To my knowledge, the race is not one during the swim. By the way, where is this Ironman taking place?

OK, I've worn it a number of times and it HAS loosened up to a point that it doesn't bother me any more. I have a problem with buoyancy and there is no way that I would attempt a swim that long w/o a wetsuit. If I get tired or have problems all I have to do is lay there and rest! LOL

This Ironman is taking place in Sandusky, OH at Cedar Point amusement park. It's a Revolution3 event. I've also registered for the Oly event in Knoxville, TN in May just to give me a flavor of the whole deal.
Old 01-09-2010

Manofword

Wetsuit update: It is loosing up and making it easier to swim. However, today I wore a "shorty" 3/4 wetsuit I've used for diving. It is a bit bigger, lets some water in, and is not near as smooth on the outside as my Tri wetsuit. Using it cost me :20 in 100m at normal effort. The type of suit makes a big difference. Also, due to the suit not being as constrictive, my heat rate dropped 10-15bpm with the same effort.
Old 02-01-2010

sbrdave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judymac View Post

You should pick a wetsuit that is geared specifically to triathlon and open water swimming (i.e. not a surfing/diving one) so that it fits fairly snugly but one where your shoulders and arms can move easily (if you're considering a full one). And as naj said, I believe, you have to try on a few. I have a 2XU and it works okay for me, though I have their low end model and could use a little more flexibility in my arms/shoulders. If I don't pull up the arms to have room there, my shoulders get tired a little too much. I did try a Zoot as well but the arms were much too long for some reason for the size I had to use.

I don't think it makes too much difference what they say as far as virtual pull buoy tech goes. Your legs are going to be more buoyant in a full wetsuit probably no matter the model. And you do have to get used to this by practicing in the suit. It's quite a bit different not having to adjust as much (very much?) for your legs sinking. TI principles still apply, though. Hope you find one you like!