Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > Freestyle
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-04-2009

inca
Default 2-Beat Kick Coordination

I am still not sure which leg I am supposed to be kicking when. I have been told that it should be the same leg as the pulling arm, but it seems to be so much more natural for me to be doing the other one. In fact, I cannot seem to do it any other way.

Does anyone have a really SloMo video of the correct action they could share with me? I tried following the instructions for slowing down the speed on one of the YouTube videos, but wasn't successful at it.
Old 09-04-2009

atreides

Quote:
Originally Posted by inca View Post
I am still not sure which leg I am supposed to be kicking when. I have been told that it should be the same leg as the pulling arm, but it seems to be so much more natural for me to be doing the other one. In fact, I cannot seem to do it any other way.

Does anyone have a really SloMo video of the correct action they could share with me? I tried following the instructions for slowing down the speed on one of the YouTube videos, but wasn't successful at it.
I think I learned it by initially doing a scissor kick on every stroke. I actually thought this was the two beat kick. And at least one of the Japanese swimmers does the two beat scissor. When I decided to learn the single foot style, I started off doing underswitch drills and kicking right foot right pull and left foot, left pull. Just start out in a prone glide and pull and kick at the same time on the same side. Do it without breathing so you can concentrate on the coordination.

It will feel funny at first but after a few lengths you should have it down. Now here comes the hard part. Try to integrage with whole stroke. You'll do alright until (if you are like me) you try to breathe. Then you'll be on the wrong leg. This is to be expected. If you can't correct it on the fly, then stop and start over. It took a couple of weeks until I wasn't thinking about it anymore. Of course when you get it right you can look forward to people telling you that you don't kick right. It absolutely freaks them out when they don't see you kicking all of the time.
Old 09-04-2009

Ken B
Default 2-beat kick

I was having the same argument with my legs until I found that in the more buoyant salt water of my river estuary at high tide if I truly relaxed and let my legs float behind me they naturally cocked into the proper reactive position. After that it was a matter of conscious practise. I'm now at the stage of visualising a subtle 2bk that's tighter than Terry's. Cheeky eh! I note that he's working on tidying his up too.

Good luck

Ken

Last edited by Ken B : 09-08-2009 at 01:21 AM.
Old 09-07-2009

inca

I can't wait to get to the pool tomorrow to try learning the pull and kick on the same side. I have developed such a nice, comfortable rythm with the wrong foot kicking! I wonder why it feels so 'right' when it is really 'wrong'? It will probably take a lot of practice to switch to the other leg...but I am looking forward to see what difference it will make for me.
Old 09-07-2009

vincent
Default 2 beat kick

hello vincent from france.If you enter the left arm, it is the right leg which allows you to have the hip drive.From the toes of your right foot to the fingers of your left hand, you have to streamline.no kick just a little movement of the foot to initiate the balance.sorry for my poor english.bye
Old 09-07-2009
TI Coach

CoachEricDeSanto

the easiest way for most of my students to get it is to simply kick in superman and notice how the body rocks with each kick. Gradually allow the body to rock more and more. Then allow the top arm to move to your pocket into skate.

Another way is to swim with fins so you feel the natural rotation more. The fins will not allow you to do it backwards.

The way I got it was to swim 400yds with no kick at all. Just let the legs fall behind you. By the time I finished the 400, my legs were kicking perfectly.

This really is something that the more you think about, the harder it gets.
Old 09-07-2009

inca

Quote:
Originally Posted by vincent View Post
hello vincent from france.If you enter the left arm, it is the right leg which allows you to have the hip drive.From the toes of your right foot to the fingers of your left hand, you have to streamline.no kick just a little movement of the foot to initiate the balance.sorry for my poor english.bye
Merci, Vincent, for your response.

Your English seems fine to me, but it seems that you are advising that I continue what I am doing now, but definitely here I am learning the opposite.
Old 09-07-2009

inca

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoachEricD View Post
the easiest way for most of my students to get it is to simply kick in superman and notice how the body rocks with each kick. Gradually allow the body to rock more and more. Then allow the top arm to move to your pocket into skate.
This is a good idea; I will definitely do this on my next session.

I have tried not kicking at all, but that didn't work for me. My legs just both sink so much that I really can't tell if there is a natural shifting from one leg to the other.
Old 09-07-2009

vincent
Default fingers down

Before discovering ti,i could only swim breaststroke because my legs were always sinking and it was always a fight with myself to swim freestyle.I discovered the "secret" or the solution of my problems after have read what terry said:" fingers up,legs down.Fingers down,legs up !" Since this moment,my legs are featherlike and i can only think in streamlining and balance.Relax all:head,shoulders ,enter your lead arm down (4 o'clock) and you'll have your legs up.Tomorrow afternoon,i go to the sea side the sun and warm weather is still here. autumn is arriving and we take advantage of the last sunny days.
Old 09-07-2009

atreides

Quote:
Originally Posted by inca View Post
This is a good idea; I will definitely do this on my next session.

I have tried not kicking at all, but that didn't work for me. My legs just both sink so much that I really can't tell if there is a natural shifting from one leg to the other.
That's why underswitch works well. Because you are kind of lower in the water than you usually are, you won't be as concerned about sinking legs. Just keep kicking on the same side as you are pulling. With a decent kick pull motion, you should still maintain enough buoyancy to make it down the lane. Try to point your toes and don't use much amplitude because it will drag your legs down. Once you get everything on the right side, you will find that it actually will stabilize you. When I flick it, I have a tendency to stay higher in the water.

To be honest with you, I didn't notice much difference when I got on the wrong leg. But it seems like it could inhibit your hip drive because you are kicking on the same side you are rotating toward.