Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > Freestyle
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-17-2010

jan ameling
Default I need advice on stretching routine for swimming specific flexibility

Hi my friends,

On average, I swim 3 to 4 times a week and walk 10k 1 or 2 times a week. Yesterday, I added strenght training to my exercise routine using a beginners strenght training plan.

A while ago I found a great website called www.scoobysworkshop.com
This is a strenght training/ bodybuilding website owned by a man called Scooby. He's really a kind man with lots of advice on working out, nutrition. Best of all is that his website is for free. If you care I'd say have a look. You won't be disappointed.

(Didn't that just sound like a radio ad? Sorry about that but I just love this guy's site).

But nevertheless I fear it's quite likely that I will lose some range of motion now I started lifting weights. I'm am not very flexible, especially in my thighs.
I do stretch before every swim I take and after every time I workout, but I think I need some good advice.

I need flexibility specific to swimming (freestyle). Do you guys know a good stretching routine to get that sort of flexibility? Could you also please tell me what you guys do in order to keep and improve your flexibility?

Thanks a million everybody and keep on swimming.
Old 01-17-2010

naj

Quote:
Originally Posted by jan ameling View Post
Hi my friends,

On average, I swim 3 to 4 times a week and walk 10k 1 or 2 times a week. Yesterday, I added strenght training to my exercise routine using a beginners strenght training plan.

A while ago I found a great website called www.scoobysworkshop.com
This is a strenght training/ bodybuilding website owned by a man called Scooby. He's really a kind man with lots of advice on working out, nutrition. Best of all is that his website is for free. If you care I'd say have a look. You won't be disappointed.

(Didn't that just sound like a radio ad? Sorry about that but I just love this guy's site).

But nevertheless I fear it's quite likely that I will lose some range of motion now I started lifting weights. I'm am not very flexible, especially in my thighs.
I do stretch before every swim I take and after every time I workout, but I think I need some good advice.

I need flexibility specific to swimming (freestyle). Do you guys know a good stretching routine to get that sort of flexibility? Could you also please tell me what you guys do in order to keep and improve your flexibility?

Thanks a million everybody and keep on swimming.
Jan, my advice is to purchase the "Yoga for Swimming" DVD its by a friend of Terry's, Susan Jacque and can be purchased here on the website I have it and it really has helped my range of motion. Also, I'd encourage you not to do too much weight lifting if swimming is your primary activity it will greatly decrease your range of motion. Might I suggest those elastic bands and more body weight exercises like push-ups crunches, pull-ups etc?
Old 01-17-2010

shuumai
Send a message via Skype™ to shuumai

Quote:
Originally Posted by naj View Post
Jan, my advice is to purchase the "Yoga for Swimming" DVD its by a friend of Terry's, Susan Jacque and can be purchased here on the website I have it and it really has helped my range of motion. Also, I'd encourage you not to do too much weight lifting if swimming is your primary activity it will greatly decrease your range of motion. Might I suggest those elastic bands and more body weight exercises like push-ups crunches, pull-ups etc?
Oh, wow, that title sounds great. Personally, I've been learning some Pilates exercises, but I can't say that any one of those are specifically targeted at swimming flexibility.

As far as Pilates goes, I like the "roll-up." It's simple, puts you into a streamlined position, engages the abs, and stretches the ham strings. There is also a breathing pattern to maintain. http://www.monkeysee.com/play/1749-i...p-into-rolling
Old 01-17-2010

jan ameling

Naj, I'm planning on doing two strenght training workouts a week. One on wednesday and one on saturday, as those are my non swimming days. I think doing more would only hurt me because it will take longer for my muscles to recover, as I'm also swimming quite frequently.

In a nutshell, this is what the workout looks like. you're supposed to do it 3 to 6 months. That's when one should switch to the intermediate plan. The intermediate plan involves exercises with dumbels etc.

Chest: 3 sets of pushups (push-ups), as many as you can do with 60s rest between sets

Back: 3 sets of overhand pullups (pull-ups), as many reps as you can do with 60s between sets.

Legs: 3 sets of lunges, 6-12 reps per set with 60s between sets

Abs: Two sets of crunches, as many as you can do with 60s rest between sets

As you can see these are only bodyweight exercises, although the push ups and pull ups do require a lot of strenght.
Why would it be better to do bodyweight exercises like these instead of working with dumbels and the like? Not that I question it or anything, I'd just like to know :)
Old 01-17-2010

jan ameling

Shuumai,

I think that exercise could really be beneficial for me, as I've got really pathetic flexibility in my hamstrings. Can't even touch my toes, no kidding :D
Old 01-17-2010

shuumai

Quote:
Shuumai,

I think that exercise could really be beneficial for me, as I've got really pathetic flexibility in my hamstrings. Can't even touch my toes, no kidding :D
It feels good to my spine as well. It feels like I stand taller after doing that exercise.

As far as weights go, just make sure you work the whole range of motion slowly, especially the lengthening part. It's not hard to imagine that working on strength could reduce flexibility. Though, something like dumbbell flies could be used to stretch and strengthen.

I guess dumbbells and body weight routines are good. The idea is to NOT isolate muscles but to use them as they are used naturally. That way you are working supporting muscles as well. (A strong roof is useless without strong walls to hold it up!)
Old 01-17-2010

naj

Quote:
As you can see these are only bodyweight exercises, although the push ups and pull ups do require a lot of strenght.
Why would it be better to do bodyweight exercises like these instead of working with dumbels and the like? Not that I question it or anything, I'd just like to know :)
Jan sounds like you have a really good solid plan there :) In my experience doing too much weight training would give you less range of motion. I've seen guys who don't look like Arnold S, but who are clearly gym rats get in the water and can't seem to lengthen their vessel while swimming because their arms can't extend fully. Doing light weights is not a problem, but bulking up would be a bad idea for our sport. But I also don;t want to assume this is what your doing because it is clearly not :)

Keep up the great work!
Naji
Old 01-17-2010
dinah

i like to do yoga for stretching and flexibility. i especially like the warrior pose series to really open up my chest shoulders neck and hips.

pilates is also a good idea. i find this more of a strength workout for my core muscles than yoga.

i am keen to see the TI yoga dvd, sounds great!

dinah
Old 01-17-2010

shuumai

Quote:
Originally Posted by naj View Post
I've seen guys who don't look like Arnold S, but who are clearly gym rats get in the water and can't seem to lengthen their vessel while swimming because their arms can't extend fully.
And to quote Kevin Costner in "The Guardian" movie, "Muscle doesn't float."

BTW, I'd recommend the movie. It's like the "Top Gun" of rescue swimming. The ending is goofy though. hehe
Old 01-18-2010

rajsenthil
Default Tree Pose in Yoga

I would like to do Tree Pose in Yoga, for stretching and balancing. I feel that it resembles the TI's streamline position in skating. In Yoga's term, you have to feel the energy flow from finger tips to toe, identify if there is any energy flow break and eliminate them. When I do this for couple of minutes (along with other yoga pose for 25 mins), I feel the nice stretch and relaxation.