Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > Freestyle
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-22-2009

jan ameling
Default I'm switching back to flutter kick

I've been using a 2-beat kick for about 6 months or so. It feels ok to me but there's just one problem. My kick feels a lot more narrow when I utilize a flutter kick (I don't know whether I use a 4 beat or 6 beat, I'm probably alternating them lol). When I flutter kick my body is a lot more steamlined and I create less drag. When I flutter kick the main focus point is stability. I don't really try getting any propulsion off the kick.

I know that maybe I should keep on developing my 2-beat kick intill it gets better. But I find it a lot more easy just to switch back to my old flutter kick. That's what I'm going to do. At least for now...

Any thoughts on this? Maybe this is something you guys can relate to. Just being curious.

Best regards, Jan

Last edited by jan ameling : 12-22-2009 at 06:39 PM.
Old 12-22-2009
Coach

CoachJohnB

Jan,

Don't feel that you have to use a 2 beat kick. I use a flutter kick too. For my personal swimming, I don't like the 2 beat kick. I don't find that my stroke flows when I try to use it.

I find that a flutter kick gives me a better flow to my stroke, which makes swimming freestyle easier.
Old 12-22-2009

atreides

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoachJohnB View Post
Jan,

Don't feel that you have to use a 2 beat kick. I use a flutter kick too. For my personal swimming, I don't like the 2 beat kick. I don't find that my stroke flows when I try to use it.

I find that a flutter kick gives me a better flow to my stroke, which makes swimming freestyle easier.
A couple of weeks ago I decided to try a flutter kick to see if my TI base balance and streamline would be enhanced with more speed. What I found is that a long legged guy like myself appeared to add drag. This consistent with when I took conventional lessons and could barely move a kick board. My two beat kick is hip based and clearly adds propulsion and even moves me back into vertical balance if my hips drop. Plus with my oxygen handling problems, its the only way that I have any hopes of building endurance to do serious laps. The kick combined with rotation and pull seem to suggest the ultimate coordinated propulsion source. When I put on fins, its a different story. What I wonder is if you can call it a 4 beat kick if you kick twice successively instead of once. If I could master the timing on that move, I could maintain the stability of what I'm doing and perhaps add a little power.
But right now, I'm really happy with the 2bk.
Old 12-22-2009

sasquatch
Default I like both

I like to use a 2bk form most of my freestyle swimming, but also incorporate a 6bk into my practices for shorter sprints. I like being able to use both so I'd encourage you to keep working on the 2 beat.

Your comment that your easy 4/6 bk feels more "narrow" makes me think you are trying to kick too hard during the 2bk. Possibly "winding up" or too much follow-through instead of an easy "toe-flick." Tough to say without seeing you swim. To help me keep a streamlined kick I sometimes focus on making my toes/feet touch lightly as they pass each other.
Old 12-23-2009

Grant

My experience is similar to Sasquatch's. For my shorter races (50m,100, & 200m) I need to use the flutter kick if I am to be competitive at the national level. I use the 2BK for 400m and up and use the flutter kick on the final laps. This keeps me competitive. Am continuing to work on the 2bk in the hope of getting it to point of being competitive in the 200m distance.
What has worked for me is to divide the practice 2/3rds 2bk and 1/3 flutter. Have never been able to get the 6beat rhythum into the muscle memory. Admittedly I have never persued it with any degree of intention.
As mentioned before check how deep you are kicking.
Happy laps.
Old 12-23-2009

Rhoda

I go slower when I try to use a six-beat kick, but that's probably due to the inflexible ankles that most late-onset swimmers seem to have. One benefit to having learned a two-beat kick is, when I do use six beats I now know how to work the timing into my stroke.
Old 12-23-2009

jan ameling

@ sasquatch

You are totally right. Sorry I didn't mention it before, but yes my 2b kick is way too wide. Initially my lower legs sometimes even used to exit the water before the kick - which likely means that I put too much power in it. I know lol. Absolutely horrible! But I got rid of that problem after my girlsfriend made notice of this and even showed me pics of it. Nontheless it is still too wide i suppose. Makes sense.

I wish it wasn't so but I have never seen myself swim on video. It would probably be a slap in the face anyway haha.

@ Rhoda

When I first tried the two beat kick, after seeing Shinji on Youtube, I instinctively got it right. I suppose every 2nd (4 beat) or 3rd (6 beat) was already a more wider/ more powerful kick when I used to do flutter (for rotation).