Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > Swim Your Way to Health
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-11-2009

jan ameling
Default Earache the day after swimming

Hiya,

I have been swimming for nearly five years now. In the progress, I can remember sometimes having had water trapped in my left ear. This never caused any pain or problems and it always got out of my ear quite quickly.

But since a month or two, maybe three, I keep getting an anoying earache the night/ day after swimming. I bought earplugs a while ago, tried them, but found them not really useful as water still gets into my ears even when I wear a cap.

I need some good advice on this.

Best regards,

Jan from the Netherlands
Old 11-11-2009

Janos
Smile earache to ear infection

Hi Jan,

Was interested to read your post. I too suffered from exactly the same symptoms as you, and then I developed an infection. Which was very painful to say the least....moreso because I have had to temporarily stop swimming!. Which of course gives me more time to enjoy this forum.

My doctor was quite adamant that you should not put anything in your ear...except your elbow (he is a bit of a comedian). So no earplugs etc. But his little gem of a tip was to use the hairdryer in the changing rooms to 'dry' out your ears before you go home. The guys changing rooms in my gym have a dryer you stand under, so it is just a case of tilting your head to one side and letting the ear dry. There are probably hand held ones in the female changing rooms, so they would be better still.

Kind Regards

Janos
Old 11-11-2009

jan ameling

Thanks buddy,

I know you can get an ear infection from it and it's the last thing I want. I also read on the internet that you can use eardrops, containing some alcohol, which will evaporate the water in your ear (supposed to feel very funny).

Maybe someone who reads this can tell me about their experience with these drops (I know Terry uses eardrops, I just don't know whether he uses them for the same purpose).

I've got a hunch you've mistaken me for a girl (i'm in no way offended lol). I guess the name Jan sounds girly if you're not used to it, but in the Netherlands it used to be one of the most comon men's name.

I hope you'll recover quickly from your anoying ear infection, and let's hope i don't get one myself.

Kind regards, Jan
Old 11-12-2009

vol

Hi Jan, I have heard that alcohol (alone or mixed with vinegar) works great. You may want to try it. I don't have ear problem but just started to try it for prevention, so can't tell the result now. Hope you and Janos get rid of this problem soon. It is really bad to get such annoying thing from something you enjoy so much.
Old 11-12-2009

gerz

I had the same problem years ago (infection of the outer ear after swimming sessions, very painful).
Since I apply self made drops (50% water, 50% vinegar) after every pool-visit, I have no problem any more.
Old 11-12-2009

Janos
Default Thanks

Hey Gerz, that sounds like a very interesting solution..excuse the pun! Will give it a go.
Old 11-13-2009

gerz

Indeed it is and has worked very well!
Old 11-14-2009

DanielE

Hi All
You've got earwax. Relax everyone makes it. If it doesn't fall out it gets plugged up by sticking your finger or anything else in or water when swimming. Symptoms are hearing loss and earache/infection.

I used to get it regularily and needed a doctor to syringe it out. Now I use a "Waterpick" shower head on massage setting to blast my ears out about every 2 weeks. It sort of hurts a bit but works fine.
Been doing this for 20 yrs.
DanC
Old 11-14-2009

gerz

Another hint: search (google) for "swimmer's ear"!
Old 11-14-2009

Amadeus1000

Hi All
I have had exactly the same problems and have tried many of the solutions suggested. I now use Swim-Ear which is 95% isopropyl alcohol and 5% anhydrous glycerin base. My understanding is that the alcohol breaks up the surface tension in the ear and the water runs out. The alcolol also mixes with the water so reducing the water content when it runs out. My ENT surgeon also recomended Swim-Ear.