Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > Swim Your Way to Health
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-09-2009

jan ameling
Default Will push ups hurt my swimming?

Hello fellow TI swimmers,

As a swimmer, I also like taking up other activities besides swimming. For instance, I usually walk 1 to 1,5 hours a few times a week. A while ago I decided to try push ups again to build more strenght and muscle in my upper body. Currently I can do about 3 x 25 and I'm considering taking on the 100 push ups chalenge (I found on the internet).

Now i'm a bit curious: do you guys think that doing push ups might hurt my swimming? Or might it even help a bit? (I know it won't help my stroke mechanics but the added strenght might be useful, for instance in fly which can demand a lot of strenght)

NB. I only do push ups on my non swimming days, because I found out that doing them every day wears out my arms and thus ruins my swimming. By the way I do stretch afterwards to maintain fleixibility.

Cheers

Last edited by jan ameling : 10-09-2009 at 12:16 PM.
Old 10-09-2009

Alex-SG

I know strenght training exercises for TRIATHLONs do include PUSH-UPs... and I assume you do not need those muscles much for cycling and running, so it must help the swimming somehow.

Also advisable to work on the back and core/body strenght (especially useful to have good rotation especially in Open water Swimming).
Old 10-09-2009
Coach

CoachBrian

Push-ups can be very good for your swimming, especially if you maintain good form, with proper head-spine alignment. The upper body/core strength is also a benefit.
Old 10-09-2009
Head Coach

terry has disabled reputation

Jan
Pushups are one of my favorite forms of exercise. They strengthen the chest and shoulders, but can also be very good for scapular, shoulder and core stabilization. Hard to beat 'em.

I've done all of the following and can strongly recommend these variations:
1) If you lack the strength to do a "military style" pushup (the kind you do when the drill sergeant says "Drop and gimme 25.") try doing an inclined pushup first - leaning against a wall, then a countertop, progressively moving from semi-vertical to more horizontal positions. You can also do them from your knees.
2) Forearm pushups. Rest your forearms on the floor -- it's least awkward if you close fists and turn thumbs up -- and elbows directly under shoulders. Work through your greatest range of motion, feeling shoulder blades open and close as much as possible. Keep hips from resting on the floor. These are particularly good for rotator cuff "prehab."
The next two are higher degree of difficulty. If you can do 10 in a row of either, you're doing well.
3) Using the Perfect Pushup device. This allows your hands and forearms to accommodate the movement by rotating inward as you descend. Focus intently on core stability as you fatigue. Feel yourself pushing back up from your core more than your arms and chest.
4) Feet on stability ball and hands on yoga blocks. Lower slowly to barely touch tip of chest to floor. Makes intense use of core stabilizers as ball moves under your toes.

May your laps be as happy as mine.

My TI Story
Old 10-10-2009

jan ameling

Thanks guys. And Terry, are there any other (strenght) excercises you include in your training? Because maybe just doing push ups isn't a good idea (I've read that it might lead to muscle imbalance, making you more prone to injury).

Last edited by jan ameling : 10-12-2009 at 02:12 PM.
Old 03-03-2010

BradMM

May be unrelated but my shoulder problems started while doing pushups between laps at the pool. I also do a lot of chins and had increased my swimming distance so I really don't know what the problem was... probably old age!
Old 03-03-2010

Grant

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradMM View Post
May be unrelated but my shoulder problems started while doing pushups between laps at the pool. I also do a lot of chins and had increased my swimming distance so I really don't know what the problem was... probably old age!
Two years ago we did a set of 24 x 25m with 10 pushups after each length. I did the first fourty as full pushups then the remaining pushups on my knees. My shoulders felt like mush so I did not do any for a month at home. When my shoulders felt back to normal I began doing some at home on my off swiumming days. I was aiming to do them with a snap and about a month later when I had built up to 32 I felt a snap in my left shoulder. Sports Medicine Dr diagonosed a longhead biceps tendon injury. He advised no more pushups, dips or chinups as they could tear the tendon right off. Have recovered but have to be careful. Advised an excerise that pulled (rowing) as against pushing.
I always felt the pushups helped especially the Fly and since I have not being doing pushups indeed my Fly times have gone down.
From my experience I would say go gently and do not really play the edge while doing pushups or the other I mentioned. We all have our thresholds so pay close attention to what the body is telling you.
Good luck
Old 03-03-2010

BradMM

Thank, Grant... guess I'm trying to raise my threshold, i.e., my fitness level, but age does seem to win out in the end. I have to change things all the time to accommodate one "owie" or another and, as a result, have lost a great deal in some areas over the past few years but may be more balanced as a result. I just keep trying, though.