Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > Freestyle
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-18-2011

jpwkeeper

These stories are all excellent!

I'm personally struggling to find pool time. Part of it is life and kids, but there's another factor that I'm trying to identify. It's a psychological block of some sort, but it's not fear of the water or fear of drowning. I love going to the pool, love being in and under the water, I even used to scuba dive (found a loophole in the swimming test to get my cert). If I were to get dumped into deep water 100 yards from safety, there is no doubt in my mind I'd make it there just fine. It's something else, and I was kind of hoping one of your stories would resonate with me.

The day I posted this request, I had planned on going to the pool early to get some time to work my TI drills (I'm on lesson 2 from the DVD). I couldn't do it, and had no external reason why. It ate me up all day, but yet in the evening I took my kids to the local pool without hesitation. I tried to work the drills then, but with a 3 and 7 year old to worry about, it's pretty hard (plus I was a little agitated, so the things I did do went badly).

Thanks for the stories, though. If I can get one good practice session alone maybe I'll see that whatever this block happens to be is something silly (knowing that intellectually is different than knowing it at a deeper level).
Old 08-18-2011
Banned

Lawrence

I learned to swim in early childhood but not freestyle, ignoring the thrashing stroke you see frequently in public pools. In early 2009 I came across TI and shortly thereafter found myself swimming for the first time in years, only this time every day, and sometimes two or three times a day. The crazy phase of trying to work out how to do it has, mercifully, passed and I'm now swimming every day, but just once, with close attention to continued improvement.
Old 08-19-2011

cynthiam

Started learning from scratch (could not swim a stroke) at my local YMCA 2 years ago at age 47. Did so on the advice of my massage therapist to help a hip problem ("Swim the breaststroke," he said. "Ummm, I guess I need to learn to swim," I said).

Found TI at the same time, so I incorporated TI drills as I learned in an adult group class at the Y. Took 3 series of lessons at the Y, but they really didn't stress balance enough. Worked with TI materials, took a weekend workshop 6 months after starting lessons at the Y. Got inspired from the workshop and got corrected on some drills.

Went to the pool consistently 3x/week (including 1x for lessons). Kept up w/TI via DVDs, this forum, and some evenings at the pool with fellow TI'er Naji.

Tried open water for the 1st time 1 year after beginning this whole adventure (Naji got me into some chilly ow for my 1st time) and now love it. I usually swim ow on Sat & Sun; pool on Wed & Fri.

Was getting frustrated w/lack of progress after ~1.5 years. Took 2 private lessons w/Coach Shinji & those really helped my balance and other aspects.

I'd like to swim one more day per week but have not yet figured out a schedule.

Psychological barriers? None as far as fear of the water or procrastination about getting into the water (which surprises me). Swimming is the first physical activity I've found that I enjoy for its own sake, not as a "workout".

My barrier right now is still the breathing thing. In ow I breathe every 2 and can swim a half mile+ (mixing in some breast, but not because of breathing probs). In the pool I still get winded and am experimenting with various breathing patterns.
Old 08-19-2011

westyswoods
Default What Is The Block

jpwkeeper,

"If I could get one good practice session alone...,(knowing that intellectually is different than knowing it at a deeper level).

Very nicely said and I am sure that many of us have had the same experiences maybe with issues other than swimming, but still the same core issues.

I for one can get in these modes of wanting to but just not doing it, then beating myself for not afterwards. With swimming it often is a result of not having made that progress I would like to have. Wanting to go mindfully practice, while subconsciously thinking whatever and then just not doing it.
Rational explanation probably not. Given time I have become more comfortable with what I have achieved and the path forward, than where my head says I should be but am not.

It has become what I hope is a life long journey and has helped in so many other aspects of living.

TAKE TIME FOR YOU, FOR IF YOU ARE NOT HAPPY THOSE AROUND YOU WILL NOT BE.

Swim Silent and Be Well
Westy
Old 08-23-2011

michll

Quote:
Originally Posted by naj View Post
Being African American, and having come from a community that has a disproportionate number of drownings, I told myself that swimming was something I had to learn in order to live.

I learned from a kind man in Walnut Creek, CA. He taught me the basics of freestyle in one lesson, but I had no idea why I was doing what I was doing with each component. I've never had a fear of the water, only my comfort level was not high in that I couldn't swim outside of the shallow end.

Finally, went to another teacher and she specialized in teaching adult to overcome their fear of the water. When she saw I had no fear, she suggested TI. The rest is open water history :)

BTW, I was 43 when I learned how to do proper freestyle. Thanks Coach Dave and Coach Fiona!

Naji
Awesome, Naji! I like the message of your blog; I have added it to my Google Reader. One day I hope to be at your level! Thanks to jpwkeeper for the question and all of you for the stories. Encouraging to someone like me still in the beginning stages. :D