Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > Freestyle
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-11-2014

Danny

Streak,

Nice work! Did you take the film by yourself or did you get help from someone? I am thinking about getting an underwater camera and brainstorming about ways to film myself without help from others, and I would be interested in any advice you have. The film you took looks pretty good to me.

Keep up the good work!

Danny
Old 06-11-2014

dprevish

Streak,

Wow...really great footage with that camera. I may still get one of those instead of risking my iphone and dealing with the poor footage.

You really have a great rhythm achieved in your stroke. That's a really solid pace that you are moving at and please post your next OW results; very inspiring. Do you swim Triathlons? Just curious.

The only other thing that I noticed was that the right leg has a more noticeable kick than the left. If you watch that and get it under control it may help too.
Old 06-11-2014

Streak

Hi Danny and Dave and thanks for the comments.
The camera is the GoPro Hero 3+ black. I filmed in full 1080p wide resolution. If you change your Youtube setting when watching the clip to 1080p HD you will get even better resolution.

The camera came new in the box mounted on a plastic base. I just left the camera on this base which I weighted down with a lead weight at the bottom of the pool. I moved the camera a number of yards from the wall to get myself mid stroke rather than after the push off.

I then turned the camera through 90 degrees and moved it to the edge of the lane to get the sideways shot.

No I have not done any triathlons but have always thought about maybe doing a mini tri. I am 55 years old, 6'1'" and 195lb my body would not survive a full tri! I do cycle and run from time to time specially when the pool closes for 2 months during winter. I am in San Diego so winter outdoor exercise is not a problem.
Old 06-11-2014

Zenturtle

You could try pulling with your highest elbow, catching at shoulder with and pulling inward and up until your thumb almost touches the belly bottom, and then finish out again.
Together with proper posture and pushing the chest in the water this has improved my leg position a lot. The legs can be kept more straight, acting as balance rudders.
It feels very weird if you are used to pulling deep, but give it a try for a few sessions. First do it very slowly to feel how you are influencing the trunk position during the pull. After a while it starts to make sense.
If the pulling force is directed through †he centre of the body, there is minimal balance disturbing torque. The body stays level during the pull, instead of causing the legs to sink and the front to go up.
An ideal pull would be through your own centreline, but that is impossible.

Last edited by Zenturtle : 06-11-2014 at 10:31 PM.
Old 06-11-2014

Streak

Interesting tip ZT.
I thought that swimming on rails meant pulling on rails as well.
I will give that C shaped pull a try on Friday.
Thanks.
Old 06-12-2014

Zenturtle

it is not a C shape, its a straight line from catch position to your belly bottom.
(Atl east, that how it feels)
Imagine you are an alien an have propellors sticking out your wrists.
In what direction you want to steer the thrust from those propellors?
Its like having a propellor at the front and the side of a torpedo.In your catch position.
If your wrist is pointing to the bottom of the pool, your propellor is pushing the front up.
If your propellor is pointing up, you are thrusting the front down.
If you are pointing the propellor straight back, you are going forward, but because the propellor is outside the centreline, you also get a steering torque on your torpedo.
Directing thrust of the propellor a bit toward the middle of the torpedo gives the best effect. It pulls the front a bit down, but keeps the torpedo on track.
Looking at Phelps pull, its not so different from this pull.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h2pVhaHmolo
Real swimmers have a good leg kick that keeps the legs up without about any pull path.
We average people with rubbish kicks need a little extra help at the front of the stroke.
Exagerate the movement by really touching the belly with the thumb and then touch the legs before exit. Depending on the size of your belly this could be a little difficult to achieve, without disturbing a smooth movement.
It will feel like you are not able to exert force on the water and your arm is in an awkward position when starting out.. Don't trust that initial instinct. Most of our initial instincts are wrong in the water.
If practiced regularly it starts to feel normal and you feel the body surge forward, tracking straight and level.
Have fun!

Last edited by Zenturtle : 06-12-2014 at 07:08 AM.
Old 06-12-2014

Talvi

Streak, I'm poring over your videos, not to be critical or even to assume I can help really but because I am envious! Your stroke rate looks ~1.25 and looks relaxed (yesterday I finished at 1.35 and felt I was on the verge of sprinting!) so I'm a back-seat swimmer, but fwiw here are some more obs:

1. The angle of your head maybe makes the bow wave less helpful for your breathing (even though one-goggle is in the water)? ex.see 0:15 above water

2. Your feet seem right-angled which must add same drag. ex.see 0:16 below water

3. Your knee bend kick seems to be on the breath stroke.

4. Re my front quadrant timing observation, and Sherry's comment, I guess there are other definitions of front quadrant swimming. What I've been seeking to emulate is what's shown in the attached stills from a Shinji video. One shows the left and one the right side.

In the jpg showing his right side pulling, the fingertips of his left hand can be seen just entering the water. That showing his left pull shows his right hand and forearm fully in the water just prior to extending it into spear. Both his arms are fully inside the front quadrant and only at the extension into spear does his other arm move into the rear quadrant.

Hmm. Haven't looked at those stills for over 6 months. Usefull, for me anyway. Thanks :)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Timing-L01.jpg (23.7 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg Timing-R00.jpg (16.8 KB, 10 views)

"The water is your friend.....you don't have to fight with water, just share the same spirit as the water, and it will help you move."
~ Aleksandr Popov
Old 06-12-2014

Streak

Got it ZT, will give that a try tomorrow.
My kick was always rubbish, the main reason I started doing research and found TI in the process which thankfully minimizes the kick.
Before I always found my kick slowing me down, much better now, but lots of room for improvement.

Talvi, in my dreams I can do 1:25 100yd at the pace shown in my videos! As mentioned that's more like a 1:40. Having said that, how much would I shave off by doing tumble turns?

I agree on the angle of my feet It's tough to try and swim relaxed and at the same time keep my feet pointed, I have tried! Likewise with my head, It used to be lifted and all over the place, I am trying to keep it as relaxed as possible and it's natural resting position may not be ideal but again, I'll look into it.
I was much better yesterday with my FQ timing thanks to you guys.
Old 06-13-2014

Talvi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Streak View Post
...Talvi, in my dreams I can do 1:25 100yd at the pace shown in my videos! As mentioned that's more like a 1:40. Having said that, how much would I shave off by doing tumble turns?

I agree on the angle of my feet It's tough to try and swim relaxed and at the same time keep my feet pointed, I have tried! Likewise with my head, It used to be lifted and all over the place, I am trying to keep it as relaxed as possible and it's natural resting position may not be ideal but again, I'll look into it.
I was much better yesterday with my FQ timing thanks to you guys.
I'd be over the moon with 1:40, actually with 1:50!!

If you're limit is not physical power and fitness then I'm sure tumble turns have their place but for me there's already too much to correct without adding anything else into the mix.

I hear what you say about feet and head. I got some great tips from a coach who happened to watch me yesterday and my times plummeted! Swimming is such a puzzle, like a Chinese fingertrap, the more you struggle the worse it gets.

Have you tried dryland things to relax and stretch your ankles? That must be a low hanging fruit. I sit watching tv with my feet up, pointing them and then relaxing, or lie down at night over on my stomach so my feel are flattened against the mattress. If your ankles are flexible there is no need for tension.

Re your head it was more the angle of it I was thinking of. Sometimes I've felt I've been leading with my crown and that seemed better. I guess it maybe is the same thing though.

What I really wanted to ask you though was did your FQ improvement do anything to your times?? I've been dogged this last year with plus ca change plus c'est la meme chose viz the imcremental improvment approach.

"The water is your friend.....you don't have to fight with water, just share the same spirit as the water, and it will help you move."
~ Aleksandr Popov
Old 06-13-2014

Streak

Talvi, I just got out of the water swimming all 1500 yards concentrating on FQ. I will download the data later and post back here.

Thanks for the stretching tips.