Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > Freestyle
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-29-2014

dprevish
Default Fist Gloves/retraining

I have started using the fist gloves that I bought about 6 months ago again.
My thoughts are that due to the nature of my "pulling into rotation"; "over rotating" swim form issues the fist gloves will align my body movements more with the "anchoring" of the hand and the hip driven movements that create the effortless swimming that I so much seek.

I've been not without them for the last four pool sessions; so far it's still pretty hard. Yesterday it did feel as if I got a sense of water pressure on my whole underside of arm; yet I still get the impression that I'm slipping quite a bit. Left side breathing just got harder too; I often take in some water on that side.

Is there some comments on the success and benefits of these tools for swimming? Can it hurt my swimming to exclusively swim with them for a time?
Old 05-30-2014

Zenturtle

Never used them, but don't see any negative side effects.
Ever tried totally relaxed hands?
Thats relaxed hands during recovery, and during the underwater pull/push phase.
Just forget everything below the wrist. Relax the hand and let it flap like leaves on a tree. Focus on the pressure from the wrist up.
I find it quite relaxing. Gives about half -3/4 the hand resistance compared to a concious optimal positioned hand, but takes zero mental processing load, so you have some extra room to process other body signals.
Fist drill gives too much stress in the forearms. Fist gloves better in that respect.

Last edited by Zenturtle : 05-30-2014 at 12:37 AM.
Old 05-30-2014
Coach

CoachSuzanne

Quote:
Originally Posted by dprevish View Post

I've been not without them for the last four pool sessions; so far it's still pretty hard. Yesterday it did feel as if I got a sense of water pressure on my whole underside of arm; yet I still get the impression that I'm slipping quite a bit. Left side breathing just got harder too; I often take in some water on that side.
Underside of arm? Sounds like you are pushing down then? I never/rarely feel pressure except on the forearm when doing some sort of fist/hand/toy drill that reduces surface area.
Coach of 5 time USA Triathlon Triathlete of the Year, Kirsten Sass
Steel City Endurance, LTD
Fresh Freestyle

Old 05-30-2014

Talvi

Hi Dave, if you're slipping then it could be that your pull is accelarating too much in the midde part. You could test how it feels with a steadier continuous movement. Perhaps the fist-gloves are increasing a perceived "need" to move forward. You could try allowing yourself to go as slow as possible instead? FWIW

"The water is your friend.....you don't have to fight with water, just share the same spirit as the water, and it will help you move."
~ Aleksandr Popov
Old 05-31-2014

junkman

Probably the most helpful thing if you don't have access to a (TI) coach will be to take some videos and look at them in slow motion. You will see several things that need to change. They may be very different from what you "think" is the issue now.
Old 06-02-2014

dprevish

Thanks all for the comments and suggestions:

I am about due for another underwater camera check as it has been a few months since I've taken the time to see where I'm at.
Suzanne, you probably have struck a relevant point of the sense of water pressure on my upper arm, I may be pushing water down yet and not know it. I think that the only way to really see what's going on is to get a good set of film to review the details.
The fist gloves guiding me into correct balance, streamline and stroke mechanics was an approach I thought may in a sense almost require me to make necessary changes in those areas to be able to swim comfortably. I know that from my last filming I've been using too much pulling motion still.
Talvi the truth on that matter is that the ability to swim slowly for me (perpetual) is not something that has been easy to master. The slower my stroke rate, the worse the balance and harder the getting to air to breath. Once breathing is a struggle it follows that the balance and streamline suffer, it's like a catch 22...you see the point.
I constantly am working on getting my speed to slow to a comfortable rate that matches a good pace. Once the TT gets to about 1.1 to 1.2 my entire stroke is more comfortable and balance is not so much and issue; trouble is the effort in is less sustainable.
I'm not really sure about how to go about the remedial changes that need to happen.
I consistently have and do drill through the first 10 to 15 minutes progressively of TI instruction before lap training. Some the largest gains I've made are in these drills; but whole stroke leaves something to be desired.
And so goes the journey:)
Old 06-05-2014

Danny

Dave,

I don't use fist gloves, but for several years now I have been in the habit of swimming with my hands closed in a fist. I have often wondered what the point of the gloves is, since you can close your hands in a fist without them. Do you have any feedback on that subject?

What I find useful is to swim alternately with hands closed in a fist and with open hands, so I can contrast the feeling of the two. This is just one of many tools one can use to try to become aware of certain issues. It may also be easier to do this if you don't have to put the gloves on and take them off. If you are learning something from the process, then stick with it, but if it stagnates, don't feel stuck with it.

Good luck!

Danny

P.S. One useful thing to do is to compare the number of strokes you take per length with and without the fists. It gives you a measure of how much you are relying on your hands to move you forward.
Old 06-05-2014

Grant

One suggested advantage of using fist gloves over just closing the hand to make a fist is that with the gloves the hands can relax. With the emphasis on relaxing those muscles that are not being used this is a plus.
A wrinkle that came up later was to make a fist and then extend the first finger and swim that way. Personally I found I could relax my whole hand with the finger extended and thus did not have to wrestle with the putting on and off of the gloves.
I think that has been quite a common experience.