Graziella
Default 2BK tune the beats

Hallo : )

I like to know something about the 2 BK technique
which I m beginning to practice

why do it like this

kick left / pull right
then kick right /pull left~~~and so on

Last edited by Graziella : 08-12-2011 at 04:05 PM.
Old 08-13-2011

daveblt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graziella View Post
Hallo : )

I like to know something about the 2 BK technique
which I m beginning to practice

why do it like this

kick left / pull right
then kick right /pull left~~~and so on

The correct way is to kick down with left and pull with left . Kick down with right and pull with right . The left leg kicking down sends the opposite right arm spearing into the water and vice versa.

Dave
Old 08-13-2011

tomoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveblt View Post
The correct way is to kick down with left and pull with left . Kick down with right and pull with right . The left leg kicking down sends the opposite right arm spearing into the water and vice versa.
Dave
I've always wrestled with the language of describing the two beat kick. For over a year, I did what I thought was a 3-beat. I would kick l-r-L where the emphasized L coincided with my left extended arm catching and pulling. Then r-l-R where that last right kick coincided with my right hand pull. In essence, the third beat was the kick which rotated me as I pulled.

After maxing out my distance/rate/lungs, I re-evaluated my kick, and goofing off in my apartment's tiny pool, I tried to mimic the Shinji kick. To me it looks like he does a single beat, which coincides with the same side hand pull. After feeling a little bit like a dog floundering in a lake for the first time, I got the timing right, and it was a revelation. Fast, quick, easy, and by fast, I mean that I was moving notably faster towards the end wall than I thought. I think that all my kicking was actually dragging me and my heart/lungs more than propelling/balancing.

So now when I try to two-beat kick, r-L, where the capital L matches my left hand pull and vice-versa, I get all messed up because my feet never start in the right place. You're doing r-L, l-R, r-L, l-R and that just feels awkward kicking down the same side twice in a row. With 1 or 3 beats as I'm describing at least they always alternate: l-r-l-r-l-r and on.

I'd be curious to hear if there are definitions for what I'm trying to describe here
Old 08-13-2011

borate

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomoy View Post
I've always wrestled with the language of describing the two beat kick.
The 2B initiates a kinetic chain...

Foot kicks down, accelerating body torque, rotating that side hip upwards and the other hip downwards.
This weight shift helps to drive the non-kick-side hand to full extension, resulting in a streamlined profile as rotation for the cycle ends.

Visualize energy pulsing through your body on a slight diagonal from kicking foot to extended arm.

Last edited by borate : 08-13-2011 at 03:04 PM.
Old 08-15-2011

Graziella

Thanks for your replies , I ll focus on the hip and kick connection
and try to visualize the energy pulsing ~~~