Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > Outside the Box: Open Water Swimming
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-11-2013

StuartK
Default Best swim experience this summer?

As the outdoor swimming season is drawing to a close in the Northern Hemisphere, what are your reflections on the past season, did you gain any insights?

I was hoping to achieve more, I'd set my mind on doing one mile in the sea but failed, suffering from what Nicki calls the chattering mind. You know - the inner voices chatter away at you- 'the waters a bit cold' - 'it's a bit rough' - Are you too far out - is that a twinge of cramp- is that a speed boat- have they seen you- etc. etc.

Although I think the swim I enjoyed most was quite short 20 mins or so. I'd left work with just enough time for a swim before going out. It had rained earlier but had cleared, the sun was warm, the sea flat calm, the tide was in and the beach, apart from a couple of dog walkers, was empty. I set off along the shore and the voices started - 'this is nice- the waters warm- strange how there are those warm patches and cold patches- there's a motor boat anchored there- don't think he's got fishing lines out go outside him- gosh the water is clear- the chap in the motor boat is looking at you- wish he could critique my stroke- or perhaps not- wish my two beat kick was like coach Mandy in the video- spear and kick, spear and kick- time to go back sun behind you now sight on the big chimney - the chaps still on the motor boat he's watching again- bet he's impressed.
Got out and dressed felt the warm late afternoon sun and a just felt glad to be alive.

Now your turn.
Old 11-11-2013

kentakirk
Default Memorable Open Water Swim

I had a great open water swim season. I competed in the Big Shoulders 5 K swim in Lake Michigan in Chicago for the 15th year. I also was able to cross Alcatraz off my bucket list of open water swims in September. I think my favorite swim was in early October, nearly 1 month later than I usually stop swimming in Lake Michigan. It was a beautiful fall morning and the water was calm and clear. I met my swim buddies and we just started out. We reached several of our normal turnaround spots but because it was such a nice day we decided to keep going. 3 1/2 miles later we emerged from the water high five-ing each other on a great swim. We all knew it would be 5 long/cold months before we could do it again. That prompted me to sign up for the St. John's open water swim camp in February. Five months is too long to wait for another memorable swim.
Old 11-27-2013

Mariedut
Default A first for me

On Monday I swam in our farm dam. After training in various pools for the past year, this was my first open water experience. What a thrill! This will definitely be my first choice from now on. I will swim in my first competition on Saturday and are both excited and scared. I will swim 1 km. I planned to swim 3 km but the secretary advised me to swim 1 km for my first time. I miscalculate my swim lengths. I was swimming 100 X 25 m lengths and was doing the maths while swimming- instead of concentrating on my focus points. So I thought I was swimming 2 km in an hour while it was actually 2,5 km. Still very slow!

I am reading Outside the box and watching the video and believe I will remember some of the good advice on Saturday. Whish me luck!
Old 11-27-2013

StuartK

Sounds good, enjoy the experience and relax, don't worry about speed it's your first event, let us know how it goes. Good luck
Old 11-30-2013

Mariedut

I am sorry to report that I was a disgrace for TI swimming. There was a wind blowing with high swells. I struggled to see the buoy. When sighting, I was sinking. When just swimming I went completely off course. I struggled to rotate properly, the swell just threw me in every direction.

I can report however that I did not splash, I made sure that I entered the "mailbox", I tried to stay relaxed and calm, I did not pull with my arms and was not to tired when I got to the finish. I was very glad that I did not entered the 3 km. It took me 26 minutes to complete the 1 km.

What did I take away? I need to swim longer distances before turning- or turn around in the farm dam before I reach solid ground, so that I continiously swim. I need to train in bad weather. At the moment my "buoy" is a pressure pump on the dam wall about 1,5 m above water level. I need a buoy on water level. I have to train my sighting to not disrupt my stroke.

I will start training tomorrow.
Old 12-02-2013

StuartK

Well done first open water race completed and in bad conditions, that's an achievement, many never try. You've now got a benchmark to work from, and you've also got an idea of what to work on. 1k done 3K on the way!
Old 12-02-2013

Osmond

Mariedut,
I think it's safe to say that we have all had the 'not so wonderful' open water experience, and for most of us it's comes from underestimating how much we rely on that thick black line to keep us going straight. In open water it's a whole new ball game when you also have to keep in alignment while you 'peek' at targets.
A game I like to play when I'm in open water is to see if I can feel when I've changed my trajectory by focusing on trying to feel a change in where the water is 'caressing' me at different points in the stroke. Most of the time it's on a breathe when direction can take a bit of a tumble for me. If you can connect with the water to this level it cuts down how often you have to lift your head to target so body alignment is better for longer. This, of course, is a little tougher if you're in a wetsuit... but still do-able.
Keep up the good work! Happy strokes.
P.S. Try closing your eyes in the pool ( if you're alone in the lane) see how many strokes you can get in before you bump into a lane marker....