Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > Freestyle
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-06-2009

michiels
Default Can TI be learned alone?

hi, I was just previewing the TI Freestyle DVD and noticed that the initial drills are suggested to be done with a partner.
I was wondering if these drills can be done alone without a partner? Can the whole technique be learned without a partner?

Thanks

Eric
Old 01-06-2009

AWP

YES!

Rolling into 3.5 years since beginning to swim I've yet to have a training partner or coach. The benefits of both, however, are apparently unquestionable.
Old 01-06-2009

michiels

Thank you for your reply. How long did it take you to learn all by yourself? (swimming 3 to 4 times a week).

Eric
Old 01-06-2009

joeintx

I've only been swimming for about 8 weeks now. I've got the TI book and have seen some of the videos on YouTube. I've ordered the DVD. However I have trouble with the balance exercises. Hoping the DVD will help but realistically it may not.

I think I need some type of 1 on 1 coaching to improve. I've been able to make it the length of the pool (25m), but at very slowly, like 45 seconds!! I also wear a Swimmer's Snorkel.
Old 01-06-2009

AWP

Well, I began in August of '05, drilled exclusively until about November then drill-swim. By January I swam my first non-stop pool mile (72 laps).
This time frame will definitely vary.
There are those that may not agree to drill exclusively but I recommend following Terry's 'prescription' of progression. Concede to this process with no time frame in mind and you'll be surprised at your progress I'm sure.
Read, study read again. Watch the video, other vids as well, over and over. What can you see each time that will help?
Running through the drills doesn't mean once through and then Bingo. From Superman glide to Zen switches and then back to Superman glide.
However, when just beginning stay with one until you feel competent ((then)) move on.
Much luck and keep us up.
Old 01-06-2009

Grey

Absolutely you can learn without a partner.

I'm a 50 yr. old who never swam. Last year I started and joined a Masters group. First attempt 25m. Thought I would die!

After about 60 days with masters I was no better than day 1.

Bought TI book. Followed drills 3-4 times per week for 60 minutes. 30 days later swam 800m straight.

The key is, as mentioned above, to follow the drills exactly as described. Be patient to really master one drill until you move on to another drill.

I recently bought the new DVD. The drills are great. Concentrate on how you feel in the water; don't just do the mechanics of the drill, absorb and think about the sensations.

Every time you do a drill you can learn something new no matter how often you've done the drill.

Drilling never stops. I swim 4 times a week. On 3 of the days, 60% of my time is just doing the drills.

Good luck and keep us posted. Success stories are infectious!

Kerry
Old 01-06-2009

subway2

I agree with AWP. You can learn TI by yourself. You need to read and watch a lot and concantrate on what you are doing. Not easy but not that difficult.

However, the difficult part for me is to plan my swimming session before going to the pool. I always wonder how others plan it. I started TI almost 3 months ago and exclusively drilled for 2 months. Now I am in the drill-swim phase. Before TI my spl for 25m pool was 38 now it is 17-18. I'm sure it will improve if I continue working on it.
Good luck...