Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > Freestyle
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-01-2013

Talvi
Default Imbalanced catch

I've just realised that my arms are working differently! I'm right-handed yet it is my left-hand side that seems to catch and pull acceptably whereas I now find I am struggling to get my right hand side to follow suite. Any suggestions greatly welcome.

"The water is your friend.....you don't have to fight with water, just share the same spirit as the water, and it will help you move."
~ Aleksandr Popov
Old 10-01-2013
Coach

CoachSuzanne

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talvi View Post
I've just realised that my arms are working differently! I'm right-handed yet it is my left-hand side that seems to catch and pull acceptably whereas I now find I am struggling to get my right hand side to follow suite. Any suggestions greatly welcome.
Just an observation...I taught a clinic and one of the participants was born with a hand with 3 missing fingers. he had a palm a thumb and a pinky. You would think that the arm with the full hand would be better at swimming, yet was the malformed arm that had better swimming form...it "behaved better". It relied less on power as it wasn't there...and he was forced to use his forearm for traction which is what we should all be striving for. The addition of the palm is free speed, but only when the forearm/arm shape is already close to idea. Otherwise the palm compensates for poor arm shape and covers up any problems.
Coach of 5 time USA Triathlon Triathlete of the Year, Kirsten Sass
Steel City Endurance, LTD
Fresh Freestyle

Old 10-01-2013

Talvi

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoachSuzanne View Post
... the palm compensates for poor arm shape and covers up any problems.
Thanks, that's really interesting, seems spot on, and makes me count my blessings!

A few months back it was my left side that I was concentrating on, then, quite suddenly, I discovered relaxed breathing was far easier to the right. Recently I've managed to get my "natural" left side breathing to mirror that of the right but now I'm aware that my right arm. It sort of ... "panics"/twitches - flapping about, reaching for the surface, or maybe trying to push down.

It's all reminding me of the problem I have been having with my left foot in skiing!! Who would have thought that a body could learn such a tangled up way of doing the basics.

"The water is your friend.....you don't have to fight with water, just share the same spirit as the water, and it will help you move."
~ Aleksandr Popov