Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > Freestyle
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-14-2012

grandall
Default Balance and Stability

TI Coaches/Open Water Swimmers.

Would appreciate any valuable input based on your experiences and knowledge to the following question:

Is there is any additional insight into maintaining balance and stability in the midst of chaos, turbulence, and rough waters aside from what we already know?

Last edited by grandall : 12-14-2012 at 03:07 PM.
Old 12-14-2012
Coach

CoachSuzanne

Quote:
Originally Posted by grandall View Post

Would appreciate any valuable input based on your experiences and knowledge to the following question:

Is there is any additional insight into maintaining balance and stability in the midst of chaos, turbulence, and rough waters aside from what we already know?
What do we already know? Rather, what do you already think you know? I will add anything I think I can. But would rather save ink if you already know it all. :)

My answer will predictably not be isolated to stroke faster...stroke mechanics and shape do have a lot ot do with it as does internal, pre-meditated decisions about how to react to chaos.
Coach of 5 time USA Triathlon Triathlete of the Year, Kirsten Sass
Steel City Endurance, LTD
Fresh Freestyle

Old 12-15-2012

andyinnorway

Quote:

What makes us balance in the calm swimming pool water? relaxation

Its the same in the chaos and turbulence of open water racing. The water will give you the same support, even if its moving more, it just needs to be more deliberate,

If you practice a bit in a sea with some chop then a few extra bodies churning about in a lake race aren't too concerning. Just need some Zen focus and accept you wont get a 1500m pool personal best time.
Old 12-15-2012

grandall

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyinnorway View Post
What makes us balance in the calm swimming pool water? relaxation

Its the same in the chaos and turbulence of open water racing. The water will give you the same support, even if its moving more, it just needs to be more deliberate,

If you practice a bit in a sea with some chop then a few extra bodies churning about in a lake race aren't too concerning. Just need some Zen focus and accept you wont get a 1500m pool personal best time.
Hi Andy.

Thanks for your reply

I tend to think that Fore-Aft Balence and Later stability might be effected even if you are relaxed in turbulent, chaotic waters. My question was more of a technical one.

Last edited by grandall : 12-15-2012 at 02:54 PM.
Old 12-15-2012

andyinnorway

Quote:
Hi Andy.

Thanks for reply

I tend to think that Fore-Aft Balence and Later stability might be effected even if you are relaxed in turbulent, chaotic waters. My question was more of a technical one.
I'm not the best to comment on that as I'm always in a wet suit in open water as that's the norm in our climate.
Old 12-15-2012

grandall

What do we already know? Rather, what do you already think you know? I will add anything I think I can. But would rather save ink if you already know it all. :)

Hi Coach Suzanne- I probably should have phrased the question differently.
I visit the forum to learn and hopefully improve my knowledge and if possible share my experiences to other student swimmers. My question wasn't meant to imply I know everything about swiming.

Last edited by grandall : 12-15-2012 at 03:06 PM.
Old 12-15-2012

craig.arnold@gmail.com

What kind of turbulence are you talking about?

Racing in a lake in a bit of chop?

Swimming for pleasure in the ocean? Which ocean, what are the conditions?

In general keep your arms wider than you would in a pool, if you are getting severe turbulence in the water then spreading your legs can help too.

If you are in severe swell say 4m+ or cold water - then you really want to be wearing a wetsuit if you can.

Never fight the sea, you will get tired and panic and just drown. Always keep calm in rough conditions and accept that you may get tossed around a bit.

Last edited by craig.arnold@gmail.com : 12-15-2012 at 04:50 PM.
Old 12-15-2012

grandall

Craig thank for your input,
Read your blog..inspiring!

In general keep your arms wider than you would in a pool, if you are getting severe turbulence in the water then spreading your legs can help too.

Not sure what you mean by arms wider - recovery or the
leading arm and how would that correct or improve lateral stability.

Spreading your legs- You mean outside the bodyline?

If you are in severe swell say 4m+ or cold water - then you really want to be wearing a wetsuit if you can.

I really wasn't questioning about swimming in colder water

Never fight the sea, you will get tired and panic and just drown. Always keep calm in rough conditions and accept that you may get tossed around

Good advice about staying calm and not fighting the water and try not to drown. The Engineer in me tends to think that there are more components involved. I knew I shouldn't have asked for an erector set when I was a kid :-)

My question - Does TI offer or recommend in thier teachings any additional technical insight into maintaining balance and lateral stability in the midst of chaos, turbulence, and rough waters that would asist in maintaining the swimmer's stroke efficiency during a race.
Old 12-16-2012
Head Coach

terry has disabled reputation

Quote:
Not sure what you mean by arms wider - recovery or the leading arm and how would that correct or improve lateral stability.

Spreading your legs- You mean outside the bodyline?
(i) Keep both recovery and extension wide and elbows high on extension and catch. Think of the arms as 'outriggers.'
(ii) Control rotation. In salt water (particularly with women - because of greater mass at hips) I encourage swimmers to 'swim flat' or at least feel as if they are.
(iii) Activate spinal stabilizers. Abdominal muscles should feel as if they're holding tone at a 20% level of full engagement.
(iv) Keep catch pressure featherlight.

If you do all that you'll be able to keep legs streamlined.

Finally, as Craig notes, there are some conditions in which it may be better not to fight the waves' rolling action. Instead ride with it -- and even enjoy it -- then adjust position afterward.

May your laps be as happy as mine.

My TI Story

Last edited by terry : 12-16-2012 at 11:10 AM. Reason: More completeness.
Old 12-16-2012

grandall

Terry-Thanks for the info