Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > Freestyle
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-14-2012
Coach

CoachJohnB

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoachToddE View Post
there is no proof that a straight arm recovery is faster than the relaxed arm elbow lead recovery. What is IMHO?
I am not real sure that the issue is as simple as "straight arm is better" or "elbow lead is better" for swimming

I believe that each swimmer and their coach should take the time to figure out what style of recovery truly works best. For some swimmers, it will be the elbow lead recovery. Some swimmers will be able to relax with a more straight arm recovery.

The answer isn't as simple as saying "style X is the best, there can be no debate" There are a number of factors to consider. Gender,age, experience, height, length of arms, events that one is going to be swimming, range of motion in the shoulders and back.

Older swimmers may find that an arm recovery that is more straight(but not locked out) might actually be easier on them than an elbow lead recovery.

There are too many factors to consider to say "everyone should swim with X style"
Old 06-15-2012
Coach

CoachToddE

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoachJohnB View Post
I am not real sure that the issue is as simple as "straight arm is better" or "elbow lead is better" for swimming

I believe that each swimmer and their coach should take the time to figure out what style of recovery truly works best. For some swimmers, it will be the elbow lead recovery. Some swimmers will be able to relax with a more straight arm recovery.

The answer isn't as simple as saying "style X is the best, there can be no debate" There are a number of factors to consider. Gender,age, experience, height, length of arms, events that one is going to be swimming, range of motion in the shoulders and back.

Older swimmers may find that an arm recovery that is more straight(but not locked out) might actually be easier on them than an elbow lead recovery.

There are too many factors to consider to say "everyone should swim with X style"
Couldn't agree more. That's what I thought I had intended to say in my original posting but message may have gotten muddled. I was trying to say that while we teach everyone the elbow led recovery we have to be aware that not everyone can execute this and needs to adapted to each individual swimmer and his/her capabilities. It was interesting that Swim Smooth sent out an email newsletter today listing their swim types and they list the swingers (more Janet Evans style) and the smoothies (more TI style).