Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > Freestyle
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-08-2012

azamy
Default Distance Per Stroke

Hello TI community,

I am Eid Azamy from Afghanistan. I have learned the TI free style from self couch DVD "Free Style Made Easy" and the useful free stuff from this website. I read a thread where Terry explained the DPS but to be honest I can't quite get it right.

In a 23 m pool (I know it is not standard) it takes me 12 strokes to get to the other side. I was curious to know if this is a good DPS or needs improvement? I am 1.80 cm tall and weigh 92 kgs. Thanks to Terry and Shinji I have learned from their clips the weight shifting technique. Btw I don't flutter kick, I've learned the 2 beat kick.

waiting for your comments.
Old 05-08-2012

andyinnorway

Hi,

12 strokes per length for your pool would be well within the efficient range for your height. Keep up the good work
Old 05-22-2012

dgk2009

O.K this just tells me my stroke rate is way to high,how can I decrease it,and also I did get a tempo trainer a while back but I need to wear earplugs
when I swim and could'nt hear it so I'm not even sure where it is now,any help would be great.
Old 05-22-2012

janedoemuc

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgk2009 View Post
O.K this just tells me my stroke rate is way to high,how can I decrease it,and also I did get a tempo trainer a while back but I need to wear earplugs
when I swim and could'nt hear it so I'm not even sure where it is now,any help would be great.
You can certainly decrease your stroke rate by balancing your body in the water, streamlining at every stroke, being relaxed with activated muscels, have a well timed kick with body rotation and lengthening of your body and, and, and. ... and a perfect push-off the wall.

It depends where your main personal challenges are with your swimming. There you start working and improving. Start with the one "challenge", which hinders you most. Get it right. Then choose the next. Only my 2 cents. Cheers. janedoemuc
Old 05-22-2012

WFEGb

Hi Dgk2009,

think an I-Pod with H2O-Kit or a special water resistand I-Pod might help as TT (fairly expensive solution...). The earplugs in different sizes should fit and seal your ears.

Many aspects and tips of that are treated in my older thread "TT for a deaf?". (I'm glad if I could be of any help. Feel free to ask about.)

Best regards,
Werner
Old 05-22-2012
Coach

CoachDavidShen

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgk2009 View Post
Re-posting this again from another thread:

SPL can be roughly approximated to height and skill. I’ve prepared this height-indexed rough guide for 25-yard SPL (for 25m, add 1 to 2 SPL) to give swimmers a broad target:

5’0” to 5’ 2” 18 to 21 SPL
5’3” to 5’5” 17 to 20 SPL
5’6” to 5’ 8” 16 to 19 SPL
5’9” to 5’ 11” 15 to 18 SPL
6’0” to 6’2” 14 to 17 SPL
6’3” or taller 13 to 16 SPL

How to use it:
• Each height category is indexed to a range of 4 SPL. As you begin stroke counting, a personal range of 3 SPL will be sufficient.
• If you find that balance is elusive, your legs feel “heavy” or find it difficult to relax your kick, use the highest 3 counts in your range. (E.G. If you are 5’7” aim for 17 to 19 SPL.)
• If you feel generally well-supported with a relaxed kick, use the lower 3 counts in your range. (E.G. If you’re 5’7” aim for 16 to 18 SPL.)
• Aim to swim 25-yard repeats at the lowest count in your personal range. Use the upper 2 SPL in your range for middle or final laps on any repeat or swim. Stop for a rest or “reset” when you exceed the highest count in your range.

by my calculation, you are 180cm which is 5' 11". the above scale represents SPL for normal swimming, not for SPL optimization. so if you're at 12 while doing SPL optimization, then you're doing pretty well.

Why do you think your stroke rate is too high? Have you measured it with a tempo trainer?

SPL is a great tool. You can use it in many ways, with a general goal of minimizing SPL. You can swim with the aim of going for the absolute minimum of SPL which trains certain aspects of the stroke, but it also means you might be doing things during minimal-SPL swims that you wouldn't do for normal swimming. So train SPL with that in mind.
Old 05-23-2012

azamy

Thanks David, this analysis will keep me motivated and increase my enthusiasm for improvement. I will try to film some videos and post them here for feedback.
Old 05-24-2012

dgk2009

I have a tempo trainer and tryed it once,I'm prone to ear infections so must wear earplugs,could not hear the tempo trainer so I have not used it since.
Old 05-25-2012

Fernando

I always swim with earplugs (silicon, tailored). I have a great loss in hearing ability (in one of the ears let's say I hear like an 80+ aged, the other goes nearly along) but I can hear TT underwater pretty well.
Old 05-25-2012

dgk2009

maybe I need to try it again,a lot of people swear by them and I need all the help I can get.